• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music XPC Professional-any good?

Share/Bookmark

Music XPC Professional-any good?

Hey there,

I\'m currently researching a good PC setup for giga studio. I was wondering if any of you have heard much about or used the Music XPC Professional for your film scoring. It seems too good to be true. Do you think this is worth getting?

Here\'s the website: http://www.musicxpc.com
    Thanks,

Julia

Re: Music XPC Professional-any good?

I think the box is pretty cool. I have customers that want me to build them...maybe I shall, but...the downsides (can it have more than one?): Limited memory slots (and nowhere near enough memory in your model) forcing you to go for the $200 1 GB sticks to upgrade to 1.5 or 2 GB. You\'d have to run external drives for library space and that adds $50 per drive for external cases. The AGP and PCI slot share the same IRQ...don\'t know why, but since it has built in video that\'s not that big of a deal. I guess the biggest drawback to me is that all your upgrades are going to be external which involves extra cooling fans...(no the silent FW cases don\'t work with 200GB drives, but you can cook your breakfast on them!)and the memory is expensive! I have seen this box fully tricked out for over $3,000 at a recent SCL meeting...you could get a lot more machine for less dough going the traditional route. Take care, jc

One PCI slot! How are you supposed to add digital audio interface, TC Powercore, and UAD-1? Answer: You can\'t. What were they thinking?

Originally posted by Lougheed:
    What were they thinking?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">VSTi and DXi running native on the CPU...

JC:

I bought an XPC about a month ago -- and I was told that the stupid memory explansion (from 512 to 2 gig would cost me about $1700 -- because I can\'t find a one gig ram chip that would work for the machine?

Do you have insight as to where I could find RAM for this machine without having to sell a kidney?

BTW, guys -- aside from the RAM sexpense, the machine is really, really great. I use it for Giga and/or VStack -- and it really is solid.

I\'m thinking of buying another (if I could only solve the RAM issue). I haven\'t bought something and had this few problems with it in a looong time.

- Stew

Jared:

I completely understand your viewpoint on this -- it\'s not too expensive to bujild your own setup on a PC these days.

I\'ve tried -- and although the system I build is doing okay -- there were issues with various programs that XP installs that totally interfered with various music programs -- and settings that had to be made that weren\'t completely obvious.

But, I think what Music Xpc is doing is saving people (probably mainly pros and people with limited PC experience/attention spans) the complete hell of trying to configure a PC system that actually works instead of the blue screened wonder I had for about two months.

Again, I\'m a professional and I guess the $600 or so difference is completely worth the time I would\'ve wasted.

Also, Les Bateman (the guy who runs the company) is actually pretty good with tech support -- and has been helpful with any and all questions I\'ve had.

Calling the product a \"complete rip-off\" is a little harsh. That\'s kind of like calling a Maserati a rip-off because a Honda Civic can also go 100 MPH. (Okay -- bad analogy -- but I\'m a musician, not a writer.)

- Stew

Jared:

I completely understand your viewpoint on this -- it\'s not too expensive to bujild your own setup on a PC these days.

I\'ve tried -- and although the system I build is doing okay -- there were issues with various programs that XP installs that totally interfered with various music programs -- and settings that had to be made that weren\'t completely obvious.

But, I think what Music Xpc is doing is saving people (probably mainly pros and people with limited PC experience/attention spans) the complete hell of trying to configure a PC system that actually works instead of the blue screened wonder I had for about two months.

Again, I\'m a professional and I guess the $600 or so difference is completely worth the time I would\'ve wasted.

Also, Les Bateman (the guy who runs the company) is actually pretty good with tech support -- and has been helpful with any and all questions I\'ve had.

Calling the product a \"complete rip-off\" is a little harsh. That\'s kind of like calling a Maserati a rip-off because a Honda Civic can also go 100 MPH. (Okay -- bad analogy -- but I\'m a musician, not a writer.)

- Stew

Maybe my mind and opinions got ahead of me a little. I know that a lot of the public does not know how to build their own PC. They\'d rather have it all in a nice neat package, with great tech support. I used to be one of those people, until I lived with two IT majors at college for a solid year. All we did was tinker with PC\'s, buy new hardware and experiment with it. I was taught everything I needed to know on how to build a system, configure it, and do all my own troubleshooting. If I have a problem I need to ask someone, it\'s a serious problem....more like a hardware failure. I\'m very glad I was able to obtain the knowledge in doing so.

One thing to keep in mind. Viruscan programs can severely mess up music programs or other heavy media. I had Norton Antivirus Corporate (legit...not pirated), and Gigastudio went totally wack when I installed it. I uninstalled, and poof....it worked again. Keep that in mind.

Jared

Well, the computer looks nice, and am not saying it isn\'t good, but wouldn\'t a home built still be better?....and cheaper?

For $900 roughly (www.newegg.com)

Main Components

Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 512K L2 cache
    512 x 2 Samsung DDR333
    120GB x 2 Western Digital SE 8MB cache
    MSI or Asus N-Force 2 Motherboard
    Antec 430 Watt PSU
    M-Audio or Terratec Soundcard (take your pic)
    Custom Tower Case (Chieftec, Antec, etc)

All configured in BIOS for performance, possibly Overclocked...(I\'m not getting into it detailed)

Hmm...sounds like you just saved A LOT of money, and still got one fast, and well configured system, not to mention, you can expand the damn thing. Even the components are high quality. Learning how to build a comp is the key. If a computer company or model can\'t tell you the exact brands and models of EVERY component inside the PC, then I\'m skeptical.

\"Top Tier\" Ram...Leading Ram. OK SO WHAT\'S THE BRAND HUH?! Bottom Line....Music XPC is a TOTAL RIPOFF [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I built Computer Rig #1 for about $1300...all of it. (except headphones)

Go Back to forum