• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tascam GVI- What do you think?

Share/Bookmark

Tascam GVI- What do you think?

I am considering purchasing Tascam's GVI so I can sink my teeth into some GS3 libraries that Kontakt 2 will not convert correctly. I was wondering if anybody has used GVI extensively and what they think of it- CPU consumption, included libray, etc.

Thanks!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: Tascam GVI- What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7
    I am considering purchasing Tascam's GVI so I can sink my teeth into some GS3 libraries that Kontakt 2 will not convert correctly. I was wondering if anybody has used GVI extensively and what they think of it- CPU consumption, included libray, etc.

Thanks!
    I have found GVI to be a little more cpu hungry than GS3, but my system is kind of outdated, and GVI (being based on newer code) may be designed to perform optimally on newer hardware.

As for the included sounds, they are many and various. Some very useful stuff there. A good example are the included Sonivox instruments/ensembles, including optional DEF filter versions.

-Belbin

I have GVI and love it.. though I have a dedicated GS3 box, I find myself using GVI more often b/c it's on the same box as my sequencer..

The performance is quite good.. it doesn't have the memory limitations of GS3, and it hasn't crashed once on me..

I haven't found the built in content in GVI very useful except the "Continuous Velocity Piano", which is great

Same here. GVI has been a great because it is transparent. You load the instrument in and go. No crashes, etc.

Mahlon

Get GVI. IMO it is the way forward for playing Giga libraries. It's easier to use and way less problem prone than Gigastudio, and if you have 3 or 4GB RAM it will be able to load more samples than GS. The only benefits to having GS over GVI would be if you need to deep edit or create sample sets or if you have some libraries that have incorporated Gigapulse in such a way that they don't translate well to GVI.

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    if you have some libraries that have incorporated Gigapulse in such a way that they don't translate well to GVI.
    Any library that has Gigapulse incorporated opens up in GVI fine. The Gigapulse edit tab automatically appears.

- G

[QUOTE=fizbin].The only benefits to having GS over GVI would be if you need to deep edit...QUOTE]

GVI can actually edit very deeply. Save for wave import/export and editing iMIDI rules, it can do everything GS3 does. Its edit view is more thorough than GS3's quick edit, though it seems many think its the same. Though you can't hardwire your changes into the .gig files w/o GSEdit, you can still save the altered instruments as .gsi's, or save collections thereof as user presets.

-Belbin

Sound good to me. I need no further convincing. I'm ordering it today on sale for $300 at Audiomidi.com

Thank again for all your comments.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7
    Sound good to me. I need no further convincing. I'm ordering it today on sale for $300 at Audiomidi.com

Thank again for all your comments.
    If you use the "10For4" July 4th promo code on the main webpage you will get a 10% discount ($270 instead of $300). It ALSO appears you get a free copy of GigaViolin (while supplies last).

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflemaster
    If you use the "10For4" July 4th promo code on the main webpage you will get a 10% discount ($270 instead of $300). It ALSO appears you get a free copy of GigaViolin (while supplies last).
    Thanks Waffle!!!! I just ordered several thousand dollars of software there and you saved me allot of money. You rock!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Go Back to forum