• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stradivari Solo Violin 2.0 & Gofriller Solo Cello- Anyone?

Share/Bookmark

Stradivari Solo Violin 2.0 & Gofriller Solo Cello- Anyone?

Before I shell out $ for these 2 interesting instruments I wanted to know if these truly are some of the best solo strings out there. Does anybody here own them? I'm up to over $5,000 this year in music software / samples and really need to be careful with my spending before my wife leaves me. Maybe I should try getting a real job!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: Stradivari Solo Violin 2.0 & Gofriller Solo Cello- Anyone?

Short answer - YES! I don't actually own the Gofriller yet, but I've had the Strad 2 since the day it came out, and it's positively incredible. The level of playability and expression is simply miles beyond everything else ot there.

Another vote for yes. I only have the strad but YES!

As for your wife, what works is to have a seperate account nad take money from there. Software is easy to hide unlike a new keyboard or monitors

Don't worry. They are both worth every cent.

I'm a maybe on the stad... the playbility is great -- responds like no sample set could.

But the tone still has a synthetic quality to me. Still, the ability to emulate "real" playing techniques goes a long way to cover up any deficiency in tone.

So, I think it's worth it. Especially when mixed with VSL solo violoin.

Mahlon

For me, these two solostring-instruments are the very best on the market... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by mahlon
    I'm a maybe on the stad... the playbility is great -- responds like no sample set could.

But the tone still has a synthetic quality to me. Still, the ability to emulate "real" playing techniques goes a long way to cover up any deficiency in tone.

So, I think it's worth it. Especially when mixed with VSL solo violoin.
    I agree. While the "playability" of the Strad is second to none, it doesn't sound as real to me, as the VSl solo violin, or even Kirk Hunter's solo violin, especially the non vibrato tones... too static. But once you kick in the vibrato (speed and amount both controllable in real time), it really helps lift it up, realism-wise. And it's actually this controllable vibrato that sets it far apart from those other two I just mentioned.

The Grofiller Cello suffers from this as well, but not nearly as much, IMO. In fact, I find the Grofiller quite pleasing, most of the time. When I need a solo Cello, the Grofiller gets loaded, and usually stays as my choice, whereas the Strad at least half of the time, gets swapped out with something else, not because of it's musicality, but because of its tone.

Still, at only 200 bucks a pop, I feel kind of silly complaining. These are very playable instruments. If the tone, and/or variations of the tone could match the playability, they'd be untouchable.

All that to say, I still highly recommend them.

Quantum,

What you have to do is convince yor wife that it is SOOO much cheaper than buying a real Strad and Gofriller! . . .

. . . yeah, that doesn't work for me either.

Rob

I listened to your KEZK FM 102.5 jingle, cool and nice vocals!

Did you do that for my home town of St. Louis Missouri?

Thanks,
    Dan

Thanks DPDAN - yes, we did a package of 14 new ID's for them a couple of months ago (we also did the new jingles on their sister station Y98 earlier this year).
    a $120k business degree will get you a job on Wall Street - a $120k Berklee degree will get you a job on Beale Street...

Go Back to forum