• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: warm sea breeze

Share/Bookmark

warm sea breeze

My computer is up and running again, so I plan to do some more listening.
    I lost some sonar data for this song and a few others, when I reformated, so I was unable to apply some suggestions for my previous post.
    This is a jazz song that uses JABB. It focuses on the vibraphone sound.
    Please give a listen.
    -Jay

www.katejesse.com/breeze.mp3

Re: warm sea breeze

Hi Jay,

a nice composition.

My idea to this Song would be, I would make the rhythm more to swing..., somewhat more alive.... .

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi! 2 things - Loved the vibes and piano and #2 the (hand claps??) drove me nuts! Seems like the percussion/drums were on a short repetative loop. With the right percussion (brushes??) this would be great.

Thanks for posting!
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Hi, Jay

What a perfectly titled piece--I wanna go down the beach now, sippin' a cool drink and just grooovin.

Really nice to hear the Vibes being used, by the way.

I admire the --well, the breezy happy meandering feel to the way you've performed it.

I also feel the percussion could support the rest of your band better. It's a nice little pattern, but something with a drummer on brushes, asserting some rhythmic counterparts would be great.

Like it very much==Thank you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Nice sound, Mr. Jay, but the "hand claps" need to go into digital never-neverland in my humble opinion. Straight brushes and a varied rhythm section would "swing" more.

Your music is pleasant to the ear. Good work.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Gunther, thanks for listening. I agree that the percussion needs work. I was trying for a rhythmic pad (with repeating patterns), but it is not very effective. I lost everything but the mp3 file for this song, so I can't apply suggestions.

Delcarry, I think its unanimous, (myself included) that the hand claps need to go. I have tried to use them before in other songs, and they just don't to make it (the way that I have been using them.) I am glad that you liked the vibes and piano.

Randy, I was actually sittin' by the pool, drinking a margarita when I came up with this song. The title seemed fitting to me. In future songs of this type, I plan to use more rhythmic variety 'with brushes'. As always, thanks for listening and your comments.

Larry, the hand claps have no place in this type of song. I did not realize it when I put them in there. A repeating drum pattern also seems to go against the style. In the future I plan to concentrate more on the percussion to give it a more natural feel. You would think that I would learn, because I have had this suggestion before. I need to work on it. Thanks for listening.
    -Jay

Hi Jay,

I enjoyed your laid-back number. I agree with the comments others have made, but being one who is awful at percussion, I can't criticize you - it sounds better than my attempts at such things.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Jay,
    Sounds a lot like George Shearing.
    Before I read the ccomments I was picturing ice in a glass of rum coke on the beach in Trinidad....
    There were a lot of places where it sounded like it was ending.
    The spot where the vibes quit was a good contrast but it could have been longer.
    A change of rhythm in each section could have refreshed the ears.
    Finally, I've found that vibes & piano in the same octave seem to cover up each other. Try the piano in a much lower octve than vibes and give the vibes a greater range.
    Gary

Trentpmcd, I am glad that you liked my song. Creating a good percussion track is an art in itself and I am woefully lacking in this area of writing. I plan to put more effort in this in future songs.

I like the George Shearing sound, although that wasn't what I had in mind at the time I wrote this. I think when a melody is doubled on the piano with the solo instrument, the shearing sound may come out. I think the JABB vibes has a 3 octave range.(I don't have the manual with me at work.) I probably could have had the vibes play in the higher range. I will experiment with that idea. When you said it sounded like it was ending in alot of places, was that a positive or negative thing to your ears? Thanks for listening and your suggestions.
    -Jay

Hi Jay,
    I would say that the ear has expectations from listening. Ra†her than having final cadences in the middle sections, have unexpected chords which lead into the next section. Then make †he end a definite ending.
    Gary

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast