• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO for dummies?

Share/Bookmark

GPO for dummies?

Hi Tom,

Do you have a GPO for dummies tutorial?

I am using Finale 2006 which comes with GPO and the Kontakt Player.
    In reading some of the posts here, I realize that I don't understand using mod wheels and program changes, etc, etc, within this environment. I also realize I have no documentation on GPO or Kontakt that I can see! I understand MIDI basics and understand Finale and how it interacts with GPO from a notation level (eg how articulation markings -- at least the common ones -- affect GPO. But there is alot missing.

So my general question is: is there somewhere on this forum that explains things like:

When you say "CCx" where x is a controller number, how do I change that within the above environment, and (most importantly) where can I find a list of all the GPO instruments with the effects of each CC value?

How can I load another instrument into the Kontakt player -- and what is the relationship between channel and instrument? Is this documented anywhere? I keep getting into this mess of changing the instrument on a staff through Finale/Kontakt, but another instrument changes as well because (I think) it is on the same channel? I realize that some of this is more Finale or more Kontakt, or just plain digital music basics, but I am unclear where one begins and the other ends. Any pointers to helpful material much appreciated.

I will get you that midi file for the flute question also.

Thanks!
    Karen

Re: GPO for dummies?

Quote Originally Posted by KE Peace
    Hi Tom,

Do you have a GPO for dummies tutorial?

I am using Finale 2006 which comes with GPO and the Kontakt Player.
    In reading some of the posts here, I realize that I don't understand using mod wheels and program changes, etc, etc, within this environment. I also realize I have no documentation on GPO or Kontakt that I can see! I understand MIDI basics and understand Finale and how it interacts with GPO from a notation level (eg how articulation markings -- at least the common ones -- affect GPO. But there is alot missing.

So my general question is: is there somewhere on this forum that explains things like:

When you say "CCx" where x is a controller number, how do I change that within the above environment, and (most importantly) where can I find a list of all the GPO instruments with the effects of each CC value?

How can I load another instrument into the Kontakt player -- and what is the relationship between channel and instrument? Is this documented anywhere? I keep getting into this mess of changing the instrument on a staff through Finale/Kontakt, but another instrument changes as well because (I think) it is on the same channel? I realize that some of this is more Finale or more Kontakt, or just plain digital music basics, but I am unclear where one begins and the other ends. Any pointers to helpful material much appreciated.

I will get you that midi file for the flute question also.

Thanks!
    Karen
    Karen,

Hi...I enjoyed listening to your music.
    Have you seen the 100+ page tutorial prepared by Darcy J. Argue? It is the final word about setting GPO up and using it with 2006. Assuming you have 2006c (if you dont, go to makemusic.com & get the updater), this document is C:\program files\finale 2006 User Manual\GPOHP Tutorial Supplement.pdf.
    It's worth printing out! And a must to read even if you don't print it out.

This exhaustive document should answer any questions you might have and anticipate some questions you didn't know you had

Once you get FInale-HP-GPO working together, you will find that you can just let Finale-HP-GPO take care of the modwheels, CCs, etc., while you just work on the music!!

Best...Jim

PS--Here's a general rule for Controllers in GPO:

If it's a sustaining instrument (ww/brass/arco strings), then CC1, the mod wheel, controls volume & timbre, and velocity controls only initial attack strength (so don't bang a key on your keyboard with the expectation of getting a loud sustained note ). This is one of the factors that makes GPO so cool to use & hear.

If it's a non-sustaining instrument (percussion, pizz strings, etc.) then velocity controls volume.
    That'll get you started.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: GPO for dummies?

Karen,

Jim just gave you excellent advice. Darcy's tutorial should answer your questions.

Tom

Go Back to forum