• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bending Notes and Chords

Share/Bookmark

Bending Notes and Chords

Hello,

I hope someone here, a MIDI expert or audio engineer, can point me to a tool that will enable me to bend notes or chords for instruments that can do this, eg. violin or guitar for example.

I am using Gary's libraries with KP2 and the full Kontakt 2, Finale 2007c and Sonar Producer 6. I use MIDI exclusively and I would like to learn to bend notes or chords in any of the above applications and be able to save and edit the bend.

I believe that there has to be a MIDI tool or some procedure somewhere that will enable this. If anyone knows of such a tool or procedure would you, please point me to it.

I'm trying all forums to try to find out how to do this.

Many thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Bending Notes and Chords

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    I think you need to be a bit more specific... if you are just talking about say a pitch bend on a guitar (like a bent note) Finale will do that itself with a few of the articulations (look under the section that has slurs). If it's something different you are looking for, try to explain what you are trying to achieve.

Tom
    Ooh! Tom please elaborate on this for me. I would love to learn how to do what ever it is your are saying Finale will do.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    I think you need to be a bit more specific... if you are just talking about say a pitch bend on a guitar (like a bent note) Finale will do that itself with a few of the articulations (look under the section that has slurs). If it's something different you are looking for, try to explain what you are trying to achieve.

Tom
    Thanks for replying Tom. Samantha and I can learn together here with your help.

I have tried the guitar bend tool in Finale and it does work to an extent. It sweeps the note up to pitch but then it falls again. What I want to try to achieve specifically is to bend the note up to pitch then hold. Also, I would like to be able to edit the bend .. the extent of the sweep, the timing of the sweep .. shorter or longer.

I can't find any way in Finale of editing this.

I have tried the Finale forums but without any luck so far.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    bend the note up to pitch then hold.
    That's not a bend, Michael, it is a glissando. Use Finale's wavy arrow Glissando Tool (Smart Shape) to do that. It will be realized with pitch bend data, which you can edit in Sonar. You can also tweak it in HP Preferences | Glissandi & Bends.

Michael,

This part of my old tutorial might be what you are looking for ..

http://www.stradjazz.com/Tutorial/FinaleJABB/port.htm
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Hi, Michael

Sounds to me like you do want a true pitch bend, not a gliss. I take it you're not using any keyboard--Would be a good investment, at least to use a bit when you're working in Sonar.

The keyboard would be best for what you want to do, because there's nothing like the intuitive use of the pitch bend wheel--bending the notes just the way you want, when you want.

But even without that, you have a top-of-the-line DAW--Sonar Producer 6. Wow. Don't you ever use the most powerful MIDI editing tool in a DAW, the Piano Roll View? In the window below the display of notes, you can choose to see and edit any MIDI controller that exists.

In the menu, choose Wheel, and start experimenting with how you draw it in. That controller works differently than the rest, because the middle of the screen is Zero--the pitch being able to be drawn going up or down.

Easy--Better with a real wheel, but you can do a lot with drawing it in--Just takes patience.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum