• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VS Pro Concert Strings Doesn't Play 2nd Fiddle

Share/Bookmark

VS Pro Concert Strings Doesn't Play 2nd Fiddle

I'm really loving these strings so far, they're very playable and expressive and the sound quality is excellent.

I want to rework a couple of tunes I did with the Emerald strings last year but the problem is Emerald contained a 1st and 2nd violin section and Concert strings has only 1 group of violins.

So what's the best way to take two violin parts and make it work with one set of samples? I doubt that playing both parts with the same program will sound realistic especially when the parts are doubling each other.

Suggestions appreciated.

Looper

Re: VS Pro Concert Strings Doesn't Play 2nd Fiddle

If they are playing the same line then definitely do not use the same sample.

If they are playing different notes, then it doesn't really matter so much.

I haven't installed vSp yet. There are no 2nd violins?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

If you have the whole VSPro set , then the best thing to do is to use the "Studio" violins as second violins. Otherwise, if the parts are different, I've found that using the Concert Violins alone is fine since they're not as "big" and "washy" as the Emerald violins are.

Kirk, are the keymaps chromatic? If so, it might be useful to have a 2nd violins patch that has all the samples transposed half a step in the keymap (in other words C# plays the C sample or vica versa.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    Kirk, are the keymaps chromatic? If so, it might be useful to have a 2nd violins patch that has all the samples transposed half a step in the keymap (in other words C# plays the C sample or vica versa.
    Good Idea. Except for the low open G. I'll work on that... Thanks

Hehe, I've been remapping samples for second violins for years, just to save memory. ;-)

Pretty handy trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Richter
    Hehe, I've been remapping samples for second violins for years, just to save memory. ;-)

Pretty handy trick.
    I did often too
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by KirkHunter
    If you have the whole VSPro set , then the best thing to do is to use the "Studio" violins as second violins. Otherwise, if the parts are different, I've found that using the Concert Violins alone is fine since they're not as "big" and "washy" as the Emerald violins are.
    Okay thanks Kirk, I'll give that a try. For some reason I thought the Studio Violins would sound like they're in a smaller space than the Concert Violins.

What exactly is the difference between the Concert and Studio sets anyway? Thanks again.

Ok, I went and programmed some 2nd violins for Concert Strings and Studio Strings. You can download them at http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/download.php

Reminder: You have to already have Concert Strings for the Concert 2nd violins, and the Studio Strings for the Studio 2nd Violins.

That was fast. Nice show Kirk. I need to get around to installing this thing... As soon as I finish the project I'm currently working on.

Go Back to forum