• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What does Viking music sound like?

Share/Bookmark

What does Viking music sound like?

I might be writing some music for a short film about Vikings. Is there a certain style of music for Vikings? I'd be very grateful if somebody could take their best shot at describing it and possibly point me in the direction of where I could find some examples. Thanks for any insights.

Looper

Lightbulb Re: What does Viking music sound like?

Falcon1, forum member is from iceland. He maybe knows more about ancient Nordic people music. Try messaging him. He's kind and available.

Re: What does Viking music sound like?

lots of horns????

No Viking music survives to this day. The oldest known Danish music is from ca. 1300 and called "Drømte mig en drøm i nat" ("Dreamt me a dream this night").

Text: ”(Jeg) drømte mig en drøm i nat om silke og ærlig skind” ("Dreamt me a dream this night of silk and finest leather").

Fair enough, nobody knows what real Viking music sounds like. So what does the "stereotype" of Viking music sound like?

Perhaps there is none and the music should just be "modern orchestral film" music. I know movies about Rome sound a lot different now than when Spartacus was made.

Is it even possible for period music to push the right buttons for today's audiences?? Should we simply use today's musical language to write for the characters on the screen regardless of where those characters are set?

I have seen surviving film of Vikings singing an ode to Spam.

if this is for a filmscore, I'd much rather hear music that is NOT an attempt at imitation "authentic" music. nothing bugs me more than to watch a "period" film and hear music that is a bad attempt at period music. Particularly films set in ancient Greece... using an ancient mode doesn't ancient music make.

why not simply try and recreate a mood with what you have at your disposal?

Why did the score to Star Wars work so well? Because John Williams wrote a huge lush romantic swashbuckler score that was in complete contrast with the science-fictiony settings.

Why is Goldsmith's score to Legend so brilliant? Because he strove to colour the film with a massive impressionistic orchestral tableau rather than try and recreate some mythical celtic ambience.

If films always required "period" music then watching movies probably wouldn't be as much fun as it is. We'd always be stuck with music from a specific period for any specific type of film.

Imagine what The 10 Commandments would have been like without the huge orchestra and chorus?

My god! the opening sequence of 2001: A Space Odyssey would have been the sound of stones beating on fallen logs!

Well, it's still just my opinion. But if the director is insisting, tell him he's wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    So what does the "stereotype" of Viking music sound like?
    I'm sure it's subjective, but I've always associated Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" with big Viking boats... Heavy use of timpani would also signify Viking-ness to me somewhat, reminding me of some drummer on the boat keeping beat for the rowers. (I've seen it on TV shows... whether or not it was the Vikings that really did that I've never researched.)

Certainly any sort of epic cinematic brassy music should match the Vikings properly... though if the film includes narration, perhaps having the music draw too much attention to itself might be detrimental.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    I might be writing some music for a short film about Vikings. Is there a certain style of music for Vikings? I'd be very grateful if somebody could take their best shot at describing it and possibly point me in the direction of where I could find some examples. Thanks for any insights.

Looper
    The "War" demo on this page makes me think vikings.

Add male chorus to timpani

Go Back to forum