• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius 5 is OK to go

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius 5 is OK to go

A week ago I warned members to hold off from ordering Sibelius5 because I was having trouble with the instrument playback. I did this only because I feared that computer memory might be a problem preventing them from hearing their scores in all their potential glory. It remains true that the amount of available RAM could still be a negative factor, but nowhere near to the extent I thought.

This is because I got into an unnecessary tangle when I set up the sound configurations immediately after installing the program. I didn’t find the instructions clear enough to prevent me taking a wrong path which, to cut a long story short, meant that I had drastically reduced the memory available to me. There were also a few other problems which meant that Sibelius gave me a wrong sound here and there, but these applied to existing scores: new scores are trouble-free so far.

I consulted the Sibelius technical staff, and I would like to pay tribute to Daniel Spreadbury and James Ivey, who have been incredibly helpful and patient. Now that they have cleared things up for me I can confidently tell you the following:

Sibelius 5 is a wonderful program, full of goodies which would take months to explore properly. The notation side is better than ever, and there are all sorts of useful aids to the composer and arranger - see the Sibelius website for fuller details. It was the new “Sounds Essential” that I was a bit dubious about, but no longer. Here’s the position with regard to memory limitations:

If you have 2 Gig then there’s nothing to stop you running the biggest score with all sounds going. (I envy you because I have only 1 Gig and I can’t expand.) With 1 Gig you can still run a biggish score with little trouble, and indeed this will cover most people’s requirements. With 512 Mg I can’t say for sure, but reasonably modest scores (up to 16 sounds) should give no trouble. All this applies to the new sounds; notation will give no problems to anybody.

The sounds themselves are excellent, better than most results I have been able to achieve on previous Sibelius versions. This latest version is a big leap ahead and although it doesn’t quite reach the ideal of an all-purpose DAW program, it is well on the way to it.

So I say, if you want it and have the cash, go for it! (And if you can afford the extra for a bound copy of the Reference manual, it’s more convenient than using the on-screen version, unless you have dual monitors).

Well done, Sibelius!

Terry Dwyer

Re: Sibelius 5 is OK to go

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    . . .

So I say, if you want it and have the cash, go for it! (And if you can afford the extra for a bound copy of the Reference manual, it’s more convenient than using the on-screen version, unless you have dual monitors).

Well done, Sibelius!

Terry Dwyer

Well, thank you for for such useful information. Good to hear that Sibelius is living up to expectations. Nevertheless, I shall hold off a while because of other reasons.

The bound copy of the reference manual is the way to go!

Richard

Go Back to forum