• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem upgrading

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Problem upgrading

After a prolonged period using only the GPO built in to Finale, I tried to get my stand-alone GPO upgraded and working on a new second computer.

I cancelled an old activated at NI, and installed GPO on this new (second) computer using my original CD set. I then downloaded and installed the upgrades, and as far as I can tell I was able to upgrade to the latest versions (GPO KP2, Kontakt Player 2). Both GPO Studio 2 and Kontakt 2 are sort of orange in color. Also the NI Service Center shows these as activated.

After setting the MIDI I/O and Audio channels to interface with my sound card, and loading GPO_Studio_MIDI_Inputs.exe (I did not find any updates for this item on the website) - I tried to load instruments. What I got was the old Kontakt player and error messages. I tried re-downloading and installed all the upgrades - no luck. Then reinstalling the original GPO and upgrading again - no go.

Finally, out of despration - guessing (obviously wrongly) - that the original GPO version, still on my system, was interfering with the new one - I uninstalled the original version, leaving then ewer version.

Now I got an even more severe error message, preventing me from opening GPO Studio KP2 at all. And a request to send the GPO ...log file to support@harps.com. There is no such file on the system anymore, and my email to support@harps.com resulted in an email error message saying it no longer exists.

Any chance that someone can get me out of this mess - or must I give up on GPO forever??!!

Any help appreciated - Bernard
    Bernard

Re: Problem upgrading

Hello Bernard and welcome to the forum!

You mentioned a new computer. What OS are you using?
    I had some issues on Vista between it all, but have managed to get it hotwired fine now.

The old and new GPO's try to reference the same monolith sample files (.nks), which is fine. They each need to load their instrument definitions (.nki) from similarly named directories (the Instruments folder) with the same local path from the monolith, which is not fine. The quick alternative to this is to install KP2 to a different directory, make a copy of the original monolith files, and plop it in the KP2 folder. This will let you use old and new versions at the cost of 2GB.

So on my system it looks like this:
    For KP1
    C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\GPO Library\
    -3 monotlith .nks files
    -A folder marked Instruments and a folder marked Multis, both installed by the original GPO installer

For KP2
    C:\Program Files\Garritan\GPO Library KP2\
    -3 monolith .nks files
    -A folder marked Instruments and a folder makred Multis installed with the KP2 install.

These instrument and multis definitions vary by the GPO version, so either one is going to give you errors with the other.

GPO Studio 2 is an update to the original GPO studio that enables it to load JABB in addition to GPO. It is not supported by GPO KP2, so only the original GPO will load in it.

GPO KP2 loads in its own standalone Kontakt player, as you know, and using a tool such as MIDI Yoke you can get it to behave just like the Studio.

What do the error messages you get look like?

Best,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by patientmerit
    I tried to load instruments. What I got was the old Kontakt player and error messages. I tried re-downloading and installed all the upgrades - no luck. Then reinstalling the original GPO and upgrading again - no go.

Finally, out of despration - guessing (obviously wrongly) - that the original GPO version, still on my system, was interfering with the new one - I uninstalled the original version, leaving then ewer version.

Now I got an even more severe error message, preventing me from opening GPO Studio KP2 at all. And a request to send the GPO ...log file to support@harps.com. There is no such file on the system anymore, and my email to support@harps.com resulted in an email error message saying it no longer exists.

Any chance that someone can get me out of this mess - or must I give up on GPO forever??!!

Any help appreciated - Bernard
    I am afraid you made quite a few mistakes there.
    I think your first installation was alright. I bet the error message you got from Studio was, that it couldn't find the library files or some such. Reinstalling original GPO probably wiped out GPO KP2, as this is installed in the same location as GPO KP1 (original).
    Here's what you do: uninstall and delete any remnants of the entire mess, you have made. Re-install GPO KP1. Re-install all updates incl. GPO KP2 update (in the correct order!). The GPO KP2 update moves the GPO KP1 library to a backup folder called ...\GPO Library\Konatkt player 1 backup\ and then installs the GPO KP2 library (Kontakt Player 2 itself is installed elsewhere) in ...\GPO Library\ where GPO KP1 used to reside. Then you copy the 3 .nks files from ...\GPO Library\ to ...\GPO Library\Konatkt player 1 backup\ and open PersonalOrchestra.exe (GPO KP1). You will notice there are no instruments to load. Click instead Options (below load) and set the library path to ...\GPO Library\Konatkt player 1 backup\. Then restart PersonalOrchestra.exe. Now GPO KP1 should be fit for fight. Follow the mauals instructions to set it up in GPO Studio. GPO KP2 can not be used in Studio - run it instead as either VST/DXi/RTAS/AU plugin or stand alone.

Smile Re: Problem upgrading

Grateful thanks to both of you for your prompt responses. It's Monday 7-2-07 and it looks like I now have plenty to do for the rest of the day! Fortunately, I got up early and got some composing done before tackling this mostly self-created problem.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers - Bernard
    Bernard

Oh - The new computer uses XP Pro.

Bernard
    Bernard

Well - It looks like I got it done, thanks to your help, Nickie and Reeg!

The mis-spelling of "konatkt" threw me for a while!

I'm still not clear how to set up a multiple (at least two) KP2 player situation. I haven't used MIDI-yoke.

Thanks again - Bernard
    Bernard

Conceivably and if all things are right with the world, you shouldn't have to use more than one instance of KP2 standalone (or plugin for that matter). Each instance allows you to load 64 instruments.

MIDI Yoke is a tool which creates virtual ports (pathways) for the MIDI signal to travel around in your computer. It's all digital so latency is usually a nonissue. Once you install it, it will create outputs and inputs which you can assign in your various programs to send and receive midi data. KP2 has four Ports (A-D) which will be assigned to the first four enabled devices in its midi setup box. These 4 ports have 16 channels each, so there's the 64 instruments. As a standalone you can access them all. The standalone will just route the audio output from GPO to your speakers, but you can always use an audio program like Goldwave or Audacity to capture the soundcard's output to a file (like studio used to do).

Glad to have been able to help!
    Best,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    KP2 has four Ports (A-D) which will be assigned to the first four enabled devices in its midi setup box. These 4 ports have 16 channels each, so there's the 64 instruments.
    And if that is not enough you can always make a copy of the KontaktPlayer2.exe (with a different name) and thus get access to another 4 MIDI-Yoke ports and 64 channels.

You just need to load them carefully: start the first instance, set its ports in Audio/MIDI setup and then load the instruments. Repeat this for instance number two (you need to change the port configuration before you load anything).

And if that still ain't enough, you can always buy LoopBe30, create eight more copies of KP2 and get acces to an additional 480 channels. That should keep most people happy

Once again - many thanks Reeg and Nickie.

Since I am using Cubase on Computer A, and KP2 on Computer B, and interfacing the two through Dakota sound cards which have 8 ADAT channels, and Montana cards which expand this to 32, is it not correct that I can feed 8 to 32 channels of KP2's audio into Cubase, record it and use it in the mixdown?

Thanks for your patience

Bernard
    Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by patientmerit
    Once again - many thanks Reeg and Nickie.

Since I am using Cubase on Computer A, and KP2 on Computer B, and interfacing the two through Dakota sound cards which have 8 ADAT channels, and Montana cards which expand this to 32, is it not correct that I can feed 8 to 32 channels of KP2's audio into Cubase, record it and use it in the mixdown?
    Kontakt Player 2 gives you up to 32 mono channels or 16 stereo channels. If you can route these to from Computer B to Computer A, then yes.

Go Back to forum