• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Products on Linux

Garritan Products on Linux

Distribution Tested (and version): Ubuntu 7.04
    Wine Version: 0.9.40
    Binaries: Ubuntu binaries from winehq.com.
    Source Build: Untested at the present time.
    Computer 1: Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop. 2.6 GHz Pentium 4, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, Physically Broken (fixed with duct tape) WPC11 networking card.
    Computer 2: Dell Dimension 4600 Desktop, 2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, 200 GB HDD.

Last night, I started experimenting with the latest wine build on my laptop. It's been two releases since I've last attempted running JABB so I decided to try it again. I pop in the disk and have a little bit of trouble starting the installer (ended up using the terminal to start the installer with: wine "D:/Garritan jazz big band setup.exe"). I get the installer going, get passed the name and serial number page on the wizard, and then as soon as the progress bars start going, I crossed my fingers and waited. 5 minutes later, success! Jazz and Big Band was installed on Ubuntu Linux. So, I tried it out. It loaded up quickly (and quickly is 20 seconds in this laptop's standards...poor thing has been abused by me too much I'm afraid) to my amazement. I first switched the output interface from DirectSound to MultiMedia (or whatever it is) and lowered the output latency. Finally, I could try out JABB. I loaded up the Steinway Jazz Piano Lite instrument and went to click out a few notes. The noise was terribly scratchy. I went back to change the audio settings and the darn program crashes on me.

This morning, I tried it out on my desktop. I installed wine and went to install JABB (which went better than last time). I changed the same settings when starting it up. I clicked a few notes, no sound. And to top it all off, the program crashed again when I went to change the audio settings. At least it runs. Later today, I'll be testing it out with DirectSound (I think Wine emulates that at least).

Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Re: Garritan Products on Linux

The Receptor box, based on Linux, runs it, so, with some tweaking is supposed to work. The problem is to know what is the "tweaking"
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum