Last night, I started experimenting with the latest wine build on my laptop. It's been two releases since I've last attempted running JABB so I decided to try it again. I pop in the disk and have a little bit of trouble starting the installer (ended up using the terminal to start the installer with: wine "D:/Garritan jazz big band setup.exe"). I get the installer going, get passed the name and serial number page on the wizard, and then as soon as the progress bars start going, I crossed my fingers and waited. 5 minutes later, success! Jazz and Big Band was installed on Ubuntu Linux. So, I tried it out. It loaded up quickly (and quickly is 20 seconds in this laptop's standards...poor thing has been abused by me too much I'm afraid) to my amazement. I first switched the output interface from DirectSound to MultiMedia (or whatever it is) and lowered the output latency. Finally, I could try out JABB. I loaded up the Steinway Jazz Piano Lite instrument and went to click out a few notes. The noise was terribly scratchy. I went back to change the audio settings and the darn program crashes on me.
This morning, I tried it out on my desktop. I installed wine and went to install JABB (which went better than last time). I changed the same settings when starting it up. I clicked a few notes, no sound. And to top it all off, the program crashed again when I went to change the audio settings. At least it runs. Later today, I'll be testing it out with DirectSound (I think Wine emulates that at least).