• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "A Walk in November" - online collaboration

Share/Bookmark

"A Walk in November" - online collaboration

EDIT: 7/3/07 Michael A. Wiktor made an interesting request. He asked if I could post my strings track for this collaboration isolated from the rest of the mix. For anyone curious about what the strings sound like on their own, here they are:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/hvh47tjnd1.mp3

Please read the original post below to understand what this project is:
    ---------------
    Earlier this year I did an online collaboration with Mike Grande--a project that started in the Cakewalk "Songs" Forum.

Mike is a guitarist who writes instrumental music. This song is by him, and on the track he plays guitars, bass and drums.

My contribution was arranging and performing a full string section with GPO instruments.

Soon Mike will be releasing a CD of his newest material which will include this track, "A Walk in November."

It was a very gratifying experience to collaborate through the internet with Mike.

Un-official pre-release mix with strings prominent:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/7nu4nry9b4.mp3

Official final release mix, strings moved back, guitar forward, drums back with more ambience--It's the third track down in Mike's MP3 player--NOTE: The first track on his site will start playing automatically, but the controls are easily seen:

http://www.sorstudios.com/grande/

--And in case you skimmed by the first part of this post, this is an instrumental track. No need to sit waiting for a singer--there's no vocal!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Last edited by rbowser-; 07-03-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: adding additional link and more information

Re: "A Walk in November" - online collaboration

A pleasant enough sound but the snare drum on beats two and four is about nineteen times too loud to these old ears. If I were fifty years younger, it would probably be just about right. Otherwise, I like it.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi, Larry--Your reply made me realize I didn't put everything on my post that I'd intended.

What I posted is an "un-official" mix made from an un-mastered MP3 of Mike's work with my strings tracks added. I put this together to more clearly show the work I did on the project, but Mike's scratch MP3 had the drums dry and louder than in his final mix.

Here's Mike's final mix--More ambience on the slightly quieter drums, his lead guitar is moved up Much louder, and the strings are much more subtle, providing some lushness and mood.

It's the third track down on Mike's MP3 player. When you get to the site, the first track plays automatically, but the controls are clearly visible--Just stop the track and choose #3, "A Walk in November."

http://www.sorstudios.com/grande/

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Randy,

Good job on your collaboration. The strings arrangement is very appropriate for the style of music and add quite a bit to the song.

I notice that the clock on his virtual studio's wall is set to the exact same time as the analog clock on my wall - it seemed to mirror it...
    Trent P. McDonald

It can also be "A Walk in Summertime"
    Nice doing and nice sound. Different style though, but I liked it. Those strings!!!! Great.

Raymond

Glad you had an enjoyable listen, Trent--Thanks for the nice reply! It was fun working with music rather different from what I usually work on. Mike's a talented guy.--Hmmm, I wonder if that clock stays with actual time?--I'll have to go look again.

Mike's mix at his site is preferable in many ways since it's his final version, but I just wanted to hear my strings more!--so I provided the rough mix with the strings louder, but Larry's comment about the snare drum is one I agree with on that mix--It's so dry and too up front.

Raymond, thank you also for your reply--Yeah, it's a pleasant stroll for summer time too, you're right. Glad you liked what I did with the strings. I set it up with all the sections, and a soloist from each group blending with the ensemble patches. Enjoyable work to do.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Last edited by rbowser-; 07-02-2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo

Online collaboration is a neat idea, though quite time-consuming in practice I imagine, transferring massive WAV files to each other. It was nice to hear strings used in an intelligent way in a pop arrangement. The snare wasn't too loud for me -- plenty of 80s records had just MASSIVE snares (far bigger than what you have here!) on 2 and 4. The only thing that was odd for me was that I was expecting a vocal part to come in after the first 8 measures or so. There was nothing to signal to me that it was going to be entirely an instrumental.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Hi, diligamus - I'm glad you heard this change-of-pace project of mine.

Online collaboration does take longer than when we're working by ourselves, but it can be very invigorating. Time consumption doesn't really happen because of exchanging large .wav files though. Mike and I used our Box accounts to post MP3 scratch versions of our work while it was in progress. And so those were quick and easy to access. When we were both happy with things, then we used Box again to upload the full .wav files, and since it was his baby, he did the final mixing. Sharing files is pretty smooth and fast nowadays.

I'm wondering which version you heard. The first link on my post is my own mix, done from an MP3 2-track of Mike's work before it was really finished, and the drums are dry. In his final mix, the drums sit in the mix more the way we both liked, and he did move the strings into a much more supportive role.

Ah--yes, Mike only does instrumentals. He confided in me that he gave up on vocalists long ago--he found it impossible to get singers to sing what he actually wrote. Lol--That Can be a problem, one I've dealt with myself.

Perhaps I could edit my post to let people know ahead of time that it's an instrumental, so they're not waiting and waiting for the singer to come in.

Thanks again--I appreciate you listening and stopping to write a response. There are always lots of listeners but a small percentage of responders--It's appreciated.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hey Randy,
    A nice smooth and velvety sound here! Very lush and laid back approach to the GPO strings and the entire composition. I enjoyed the work but my ears wanted to hear the strings more clearly than just in the background for support; which I'm sure is their main function. Would it be possible to post just the GPO string track? Anyway, great work!

And a wonderful site and player design! ... I want one

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    I'm wondering which version you heard. The first link on my post is my own mix, done from an MP3 2-track of Mike's work before it was really finished, and the drums are dry. In his final mix, the drums sit in the mix more the way we both liked, and he did move the strings into a much more supportive role.
    I actually listened to both mixes and prefer the first one since there I can clearly hear your thoughtful string arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Perhaps I could edit my post to let people know ahead of time that it's an instrumental, so they're not waiting and waiting for the singer to come in.
    Oh no -- by "signal" that it was going to be an instrumental I meant some sort of musical signal to the listener. The way the lead guitar comes in at the very beginning makes it sound like an intro and one expects a gravel-voiced singer to show up after a while. Musically speaking it's a surprise that the lead guitar just keeps going all the way through.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast