• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Electronic Drum MIDI pass thru

Share/Bookmark

OT: Electronic Drum MIDI pass thru

I just have a general question on the various offerings of Electronic drum "brains" out there i.e. Alesis DM5. I have a chance to get a small electronic kit with a DM5 very cheap..... But I want to trigger the MIDI out to my drum samples in Gigastudio.
    Will the MIDI out/thru on the DM5 be accurate and fast enough to pass intricate snare and cymbal rolls into GIGA? I am trying to avoid the machine gun effect.
    If the DM5 won't be adequate for this purpose, can someone recommend a unit that I can piece meal into the existing kit that will send every nuance to the computer.
    Thanks Travis

Re: OT: Electronic Drum MIDI pass thru

Quote Originally Posted by Tbarnes
    I just have a general question on the various offerings of Electronic drum "brains" out there i.e. Alesis DM5. I have a chance to get a small electronic kit with a DM5 very cheap..... But I want to trigger the MIDI out to my drum samples in Gigastudio.
    Will the MIDI out/thru on the DM5 be accurate and fast enough to pass intricate snare and cymbal rolls into GIGA? I am trying to avoid the machine gun effect.
    If the DM5 won't be adequate for this purpose, can someone recommend a unit that I can piece meal into the existing kit that will send every nuance to the computer.
    Thanks Travis
    Hello Travis,

I have a DM5 too and it works very good for what you asked, if you have good drumtriggerpads.

In the last month I bought me the Alesis Control Pad, and this is very cool, works great too! With this Control Pad you don`t make any mistake..., you will love it!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi germancomponist,

I would like to ask something about Alesis Control Pad. I got an old Roland KD-5 Kick Trigger plugged into the trigger input but it does not work very well. It works fine if I plug it into the kick input but this way I can only get a constant MIDI value because this input is not velocity sensitive. I am using a standard guitar jack cable, could it be the problem? And, have you try to plug a Kick Trigger to the trigger input?

Of course, comments from other members are welcome too.

Thank you so much in advance.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sr_Velasco
    Hi germancomponist,

... And, have you try to plug a Kick Trigger to the trigger input?

!
    I did, and it works fine... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum