• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Man of the Mountains

Man of the Mountains

Hello, everyone!

I have been busy experimenting with the solo violin, specifically the Gagliano.
    In my efforts to achieve as realistic a sound as possible, I have learned that cc21 is indispensable when it comes to trills, tremolos (bowed and fingered) as well as any quick succession of notes. At the moment such a passage occurs, I set cc21 to a value of about 25%. This has the effect of clearly defining the note articulations without any of the overlap that one hears when one plays such a passage with cc21 set to its default of 50%.

The libraries used in this project are GPO and J&BB.

The music is from a musical play I wrote in collaboration with my father, who wrote the words.

Re: Man of the Mountains

You're selling them too cheap, try 99 cents.
    These two pieces are the best things I've listened to for ages.
    You have my admiration in the construction of this work and the recording of it. I very much enjoyed your use of trills, piano and horn.
    My pleasure indeed BRAVO!

Very nice, Sean, very nice!

I enjoyed this two tracks and hope I can hear more from you soon!

My best

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hello, Sean

You have certainly squeezed the most life possible out of the GPO Gagliano. cc21, length, indeed an indispensable controller to use. When it's left to a "set and forget" level, the versatility which you demonstrate here simply isn't possible.

I imagine you'd enjoy having the Garritan Strad, it's so organic sounding and easy to get great results from. But meanwhile, I really admire how much you've done with this more static solo Violin sample in GPO.

And beyond being impressed with what you did technically with the MIDI data, I really appreciate and admire the composition. Wonderful stuff.

Thank you so much for the music!

Randy B.

Thank you very much for your encouraging words.

I am pleased that you approve of my handling of the violin. For me, that instrument is probably the most difficult to sequence--so many subtleties in articulation.

Thank you for your kind remarks. I, too, greatly look forward to listening to yours as well as everyone else's works. There is just so much fine work presented here. This forum is full of beautiful art.

Thank you for your much appreciated comments, especially those about the Gagliano. Yes, I know that Garritan Stradivarius sounds magnificent. I do hope to own it one day.

Wilton, NH

Hi Sean,

Both of these are very nice. Any more pieces from your play you can share? You got a great sound out of the solo violin.
    Trent P. McDonald

Beautiful work, you really made that violin sing! I love the melodious flow of the piece, and the expression you've added to that violin is just perfect. Bravo, Sean!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I have been writing and listening to all things orchestral and had forgotten how beautiful small ensambles and piano/violin, harp/flute compositions. Very Very lovely.
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Great works Sean! A wonderful rendering from the GPO solo violin and excellent use of all it's abilities! Professional accompaniment from the piano and brass. Also, how nice is it to collaborate with your Father!? Thank you for sharing this.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Thank you all for your kind words.

Trent, these are the only movements from the play that I have sequenced. I will plan on preparing other passages in the near future.

Michael, yes, I have been very thankful for my creative relationship with my father. We have done a few of these works together; I hope to do many more. Incidentally, I would like you all to know that he also created the cover art for MAN OF THE MOUNTAINS, as seen on my Sound Click page.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast