• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Finale 2008 with new Garritan sounds - first impressions

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2008 with new Garritan sounds - first impressions

well, I FINALLY got it work (and no pun was intended there)

however, the Garritan choral sounds as included with Finale are not as practical as I would have liked. for example, the tenor "ahh" sounds cut off at a high F, which is MUCH too soon for any choral tenor section. if teh high A above that had been the cut-off, I might have understood, but F is a baritone note.

<sigh> there goes my dream of a decent demo of my missa brevis.

I have to say that I find the KP2 MUCH more complicated to get a grip on than the KP1. It might perform better, but it REALLY needs some sort of easy step-by-step user's manual for "getting you started". there are an awful lot of knobs and things that are all Greek to me.

at least I can get Finale to play back my 2nd symphony now, which Fin'07 could not.

well, more later as I explore.

Re: Finale 2008 with new Garritan sounds - first impressions

Cowboy did you do the last KP2 upgrade in 07c? Did you do all the copying and pasting like the rest of us? Did you use the HP fix-it file posted here? I'm asking because I want to know did you have to do anything prior to installing the upgrade.

I'want get my order until Friday, and I ordered early the first morning of MM's official announcement.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

The basics of Kontakt Player 2 are the several main panes of the window (assuming its just like the standalone KP2 player that I downloaded). On the top, you have a few basic buttons and some activity monitors. The buttons in the top row are all toggle buttons. One toggles the display of the keyboard, one toggles the display of the browser (the pane on the left), one toggles the output panel, and one toggles the MasterKontrol panel (which offers a metronome, the master tuning knob, and a reference tone, just incase you actually need those).

On the left, you have the browser. It will list the libraries you have installed, give you control over the Kontakt engine (incase it crashes), and allow you to tie different knobs to MIDI Controllers.

On the right, you have the main portion of the program, the multi display. Each multi can hold 16 instruments, and there are 4 multis. This means you can have up to 64 intruments loaded into Kontakt Player 2. Each instruments display is rather straight foreward, mimicing the display of each instrument in Kompakt. You have a solo button, a mute button, a tuning knob, a panning slider, a volume slider, volume meters, a mod wheel knob (for expression and volume), and several knobs that differ between instruments. The pitchbend allows you to control how far the pitchbend wheel can bend a note. Also, var 1 and var 2 help make the instruments sound a little bit more human.

You might also notice that there is an AUX button. This is a more advanced topic and I recommend getting yourself used to Kontakt Player 2 first. Also, the outputs panel is straightforeward. For the most part, you want to modify the output channels on the left. The grey ones on the right are the auxilary sends (which ties into that AUX button). The blue channels are usually two stereo outputs and one 5.1 surround output. Anyways, if Show Inserts is toggled, you will see 4 inserts above each output. I'm guessing you will be using st. 1 as your output. If you click Edit Effect and then click on one of those inserts/effects, you will notice another panel pop up (if you clicked one that was not empty). This will allow you to modify the output sound, like reverberation or equalization. There is probably enough information I could tell you about Kontakt Player 2 to fill up a website, but for now, that much should get you started. If it's still too complex, feel free to ask.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

no, actually, I did the update for the KP2 today before installing Finale'08.

The KP2 seems to be handling the instruments very well.
    I'm pretty sure I'm missing something however.

The new features I've been able to play with in Fin'08 are WONDERFUL. Like the new way of selecting and copying. VERY efficient.

Finding all the OLD things I was used to is a bit tedious, however. I'd like a tutorial on how things are different between the two versions.

The new selection tool is just brilliant, also.

And of course, being able to mix GPO and other Garritan sounds with the soft synths is quite nice, along with all the new sounds included with Finale Sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I have to say that I find the KP2 MUCH more complicated to get a grip on than the KP1. It might perform better, but it REALLY needs some sort of easy step-by-step user's manual for "getting you started". there are an awful lot of knobs and things that are all Greek to me.
    Michel, did you take a look at the .pdf manual, installed by the updater in GPO Library\Documentation. It has a section about KP2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Michel, did you take a look at the .pdf manual, installed by the updater in GPO Library\Documentation. It has a section about KP2.
    no, thank-you Nickie, that is my next stop. I suspected there might be a PDF hidden away somewhere.

QCowboy,

What are your impressions of the new user manual? It's not a PDF, is it?

Make sure you check out the "What's New in Finale 2008". It'll detail all of the changes as well as having a chart to refer to to help you learn where things have been moved as a result of the tool merges, etc...

And be sure to play with Robert Piechaud's new ScoreMerger. It's really amazing.

Jeff

what I AM having trouble with is getting Finale 2008 to recognize that I have full version GPO installed.

I can load the instruments by hand right into the KP2, but from the Wizard, I can't seem to load the instruments automatically.

Ah-o? What? Sounds like more copying and pasting!
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

oh, and I just used the score merger function to bring together 3 movements of a full symphony into one single file... and it worked like a charm! linked parts and all (at least, I THINK it did, I haven't had time to go through all the parts yet)

I'm finding that with KP2 some of the instruments are a bit louder than they should be (or than they WERE with KP1).

So there may be a bit of re-adjusting to do with the new version of the player for scores created in preceding versions and optimized for them.

Go Back to forum