• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beverly Sills, America's Queen of Opera, dies at 78

Share/Bookmark

Beverly Sills, America's Queen of Opera, dies at 78

Beverly Sills, the world-renowned soprano who became the most popular opera singer in America in modern times, died on Monday evening in New York from inoperable lung cancer, her manager said.

Sills, 78, died at her home in New York after being released from hospital on Friday where she was being treated for a broken rib, her manager Edgar Vincent told Reuters.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Re: Beverly Sills, America's Queen of Opera, dies at 78

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Penigar
    Beverly Sills, the world-renowned soprano who became the most popular opera singer in America in modern times, died on Monday evening in New York from inoperable lung cancer, her manager said.

Sills, 78, died at her home in New York after being released from hospital on Friday where she was being treated for a broken rib, her manager Edgar Vincent told Reuters.
    Well, I wonder if anyone else remembers her early radio performance of the Rinso White laundry soap? (about 1943)

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, I wonder if anyone else remembers her early radio performance of the Rinso White laundry soap? (about 1943)

Richard
    Rinso White! Rinso Bright! Happy little washday song.

I remember.

By the way, Beverly Sills (affectionately known as "Bubbles") died of lung cancer even though she never smoked cigarettes in her entire life.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I'd like to share a Beverly Sills story with you. It illustrates the graciousness of this great artist.
    I had the opportunity to work with Beverly Sills while still a student. She was booked to star in a concert at Wolf Trap (an outdoor concert park near Washngton, D.C.)
    It was my first professional orchestral job. I was a green and very nervous young string bass player. Just before rehearsal started, while I was bent over the water fountain, I heard someone behind me say, in a soft voice, "Hi." In my nervousness, I mumbled, Hi," but barely looked up. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a beautiful red headed lady smiling down at me. It was Ms Sills.
    Frankly, I didn't recognise her at the moment. I was just too nervous. I think that lack of recognition amused her even more because as she watched my reaction, her smile broadened. Of course, once she entered the stage for rehearsal, I recognized her; and the nature of the incident dawned on me.

I never got a chance to retell that story to her, but I'm sure she would have still been amused.

Here's one of her quotes: There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Go Back to forum