• Register
  • Help

Topic: App Strings & QLB in Bond-like Theme

Share/Bookmark

App Strings & QLB in Bond-like Theme

Who would think of mixing Appassionata Strings with Quantum Leap Brass? Well, me. It was the perfect combination for a Bond-like sound. Put them on top of Larry Seyer's Acoustic Drums with a touch of Westgate Horns(2), Clarinet and Flute, and you get this:

http://colonelcrush.com/movie/index/00220201 (The theme starts just after the 30 second mark.)

Singing credits go to Jeremy Robeson. He's an amateur singer, so we recorded one line at a time and did lots of takes. (Autotuning is magic!) My son gets credit for the hammers, sickles, and video editing.

So far the feedback has been great. Whatcha think?

Re: App Strings & QLB in Bond-like Theme

Hello Jon,

it`s great what you did!

I have one question: At the theme, why the Horns are not louder mixed?

I think with louder horns it would give the music "this typic character" from the Bond Sound..., a bigger sound?

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    I have one question: At the theme, why the Horns are not louder mixed?
    Because I ran out of time. Given another couple of days, I would have gone with stronger trombones and some added trumpet highlights. However, the trombones from QLB sounded a bit thin, and my other trombones don't have a big band sound.

Maybe I'll write a few more verses, and make a full song out of it - with more brass...

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Because I ran out of time. Given another couple of days, I would have gone with stronger trombones and some added trumpet highlights. However, the trombones from QLB sounded a bit thin, and my other trombones don't have a big band sound.

Maybe I'll write a few more verses, and make a full song out of it - with more brass...
    Ah, that is the reason. Thank you for that information. I will look forward for your full song. Please let me know when you have finished, because I love the Bond Sound and new compositions like that.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

This was my first Bond-like theme, and I've only done a couple other big band comps, so I'm still learning. My favorite part is when the tight inner harmonies with 7ths and 9ths have that "magic" sound. It's interesting that some progressions can keep the notes very tight with nice voice leading - and others step all over one another.

But the best moment for me was when I realized that the Colonel Crush theme maps into the Bond sound nicely. (The first eight notes of the melody are the Crush theme.)

Well done! Excellent work by all.
    You've got some good actors.

S

I was so enthralled by the action that I forgot to pay attention to the music. (That's a compliment.)

Does the link work still?
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Does the link work still?
    Yes! I notified my provider, and service is again - IN ACTION!

Go Back to forum