• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL flutes attack and stereoposition

Share/Bookmark

VSL flutes attack and stereoposition

I'm working on a orchestration job, where I use woodwinds from VSL. I find the flute staccato variation extremely slow. The attack are very long of course mostly in the lower part of the melody. Can you recommend another ww library with more playable flutes?

I also found that different variations (stac. - legato) "sits" different in the stereoperspective.
    I have also found this to be true on several other of the instruments from VSL. How do You deal with that in a setup. Trying to narrow the stereoimage is "so sad" because the sound also changes a bit I think.
    Regards Stig

Re: VSL flutes attack and stereoposition

The VSL performance repetition staccato samples have a faster punchier attack.

Best,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by stigc56
    I'm working on a orchestration job, where I use woodwinds from VSL. I find the flute staccato variation extremely slow. The attack are very long of course mostly in the lower part of the melody. Can you recommend another ww library with more playable flutes?

I also found that different variations (stac. - legato) "sits" different in the stereoperspective.
    I have also found this to be true on several other of the instruments from VSL. How do You deal with that in a setup. Trying to narrow the stereoimage is "so sad" because the sound also changes a bit I think.
    Regards Stig
    If you don't narrow the stereo image how do you do the panning? What software are you using to narrow it?

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    If you don't narrow the stereo image how do you do the panning? What software are you using to narrow it?

D
    It's good question. Might i ask what software YOU use?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl

D
    I use logic 7.2. In Logic You use a Direction mixer, I think it's called, which let You gradually turn a stereosignal into mono, and after that you can pan it.
    But I don't understand why the people behind VSL would "allow" the recordings of the flute to be so different from each other in the first place.
    And as I wrote in my first mail, it's not the only instrument that behaves like that.
    Regards
    Stig

Stig,
    The WIVI virtual instrument lets one put its instruments anywhere on its adjustable stage so when that is a priority and if one has the time I would recommend that one consider watching for the Wallander's WIVI woodwinds which may be released around the end of the year. (A free trial of the WIVI plugin with which one can test the program and the brass that Wallander released for it, and information about it is available at the Wallander Instruments website.) Information about the plugin's woodwinds in production is at WIVI's public forum.
    Cheers,
    Chris

I use logic 7.2. In Logic You use a Direction mixer, I think it's called, which let You gradually turn a stereosignal into mono, and after that you can pan it.
    But I don't understand why the people behind VSL would "allow" the recordings of the flute to be so different from each other in the first place.
    And as I wrote in my first mail, it's not the only instrument that behaves like that.
    Regards
    Stig
    Stig,

That's a very common problem in a lot of sample libraries, not just VSL: inconsistency of the stereo image from one sample to the next, within the same instrument. Can be very annoying, yes. Your solution to use Logic's DirMixer is very good. DirMixer is perfect for that sort of thing: narrowing the stereo image and panning the signal - all conveniently taken care of with just that one plugin.
    Another great plugin which does the exact same thing (and a little bit more) is PSP's StereoController.

_

Hi Stig,

coming back to your initial problem:

[...]
    Regards
    Stig
    I tried to explain this quiet a few times in the past already (for example here: -> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ighlight=Dietz)

Quoting the relevant part of my message from last year:

[...] After long research and testing, we came up with the concept you hear in all our products now: Every instrument is recorded in full stereo insofar that you would be able to produce a "full solo work" with each of them. IOW: You are a listener right in front of a stage with a single performer or ensemble, listening to him/her/them with (hopefully) both ears.

As soon as you place _several_ of them on your virtual stage, you will _of course_ have to collapse this maximum stereo-width (if you are longing for realism). This can go to the extreme: A solo-flute will have almost no intrinsic stereo-information when you listen to it from 20 metres away.

Think of it as an isosceles triangle: The basic angle between "left" and "right" gets smaller and smaller as you move away from the base-line. - This is beautifully visualized in Waves' S1-plugin, BTW.

A final word on the often referred-to "jumping stereo"-image of solo-instruments: This is a completely natural phenomenon you will run into with "real" recordings, too. Due to the laws of acoustics, there are always certain frequency-modes in a room and an instrument itself that will get amplified or lowered in volume, dependent on the relation of the source and the listener. This also happens in a raw mono-recording; it just wouldn't be as obvious, because the result would be just a small change in volume.

Keeping all this in mind, our recording team puts a lot of effort into the search of a well balanced, centered recording position. But there is simply no way to avoid the phenomenon described above completely without sacrificing the main idea: absolutely free placement of any instrument, be it close or far away.

[...]
    HTH!

Thanks to all for your answers.
    I'm sorry if all this has been discussed before, allow me another question.
    I use Kontakt on my MacG5 to play the different VSL flutes, routing all back to Logic on MacPro. Would you deal with the stereo perspective/panning issue in Kontakt or would you do it at the input in Logic?
    regards
    Stigc56

Thanks to all for your answers.
    I'm sorry if all this has been discussed before, allow me another question.
    I use Kontakt on my MacG5 to play the different VSL flutes, routing all back to Logic on MacPro. Would you deal with the stereo perspective/panning issue in Kontakt or would you do it at the input in Logic?
    regards
    Stigc56
    I think you should try to fix this in K2 at the sample level so you have to do it only once...

In case you didn't know, you can do this in the the mapping editor. Select the zone you don't like and pane away...

Go Back to forum