• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sonivox Brass & Woodwinds, Opinions ?

Share/Bookmark

Sonivox Brass & Woodwinds, Opinions ?

I would be interested in hearing some comments regarding the Sonivox Brass and Woodwind symphonic collections (Kontakt 2 format).

For some reason there does not seem to be lots of comments regarding the Sonivox Brass and Woodwinds (Kontakt 2 format).

The Sonivox (previously know as "Sonic Implants") SISS, Symphonic Strings are very popular, and get very positive comments all the time. They also seem to be great for complementing EWQLSO Plat. Stirngs, and VSL strings.

So, I'm curious to know how the Sonivox Brass and Woodwinds compare to their strings ? How about ... Sonivox Brass vs. Project Sam Brass ?

Thanks.

Re: Sonivox Brass & Woodwinds, Opinions ?

Quote Originally Posted by muziksculp
    I would be interested in hearing some comments regarding the Sonivox Brass and Woodwind symphonic collections (Kontakt 2 format).

For some reason there does not seem to be lots of comments regarding the Sonivox Brass and Woodwinds (Kontakt 2 format).

The Sonivox (previously know as "Sonic Implants") SISS, Symphonic Strings are very popular, and get very positive comments all the time. They also seem to be great for complementing EWQLSO Plat. Stirngs, and VSL strings.

So, I'm curious to know how the Sonivox Brass and Woodwinds compare to their strings ? How about ... Sonivox Brass vs. Project Sam Brass ?

Thanks.
    I own Orchestral BRass from M-Audio which are ostensibly Sonivox. Nice smooth brass. Sit well in the mix. SAM Brass are pretty killer though. I own VSL, EWQLSO, HALion SO, Miroslav and MOTU SI and the SAM stuff is still pretty tops in my books (although I really like the Epic Horns from VSL and the performance legatos).

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    I own Orchestral BRass from M-Audio which are ostensibly Sonivox. Nice smooth brass. Sit well in the mix. SAM Brass are pretty killer though. I own VSL, EWQLSO, HALion SO, Miroslav and MOTU SI and the SAM stuff is still pretty tops in my books (although I really like the Epic Horns from VSL and the performance legatos).
    Hi davecos,

Thanks for the feedback.

I think the M-Audio brass you are referring to is a very thinned out version of the Sonivox Brass.

The Sonivox Symph.Brass, I'm referring to lists for $995. , and is quite a larger sample library, with more depth to it than the Sonivox version offered by M-Audio. (so, there must be quite a bit of quality difference).

Project Sam Brass is very popular, and I would think that it would be hard to go wrong with them, but I'm still curious to hear some feedback regarding the Sonivox Symph. Brass, and Woodwinds.

I have to agree with you on the VSL Epic Horns, it is probably one of their best productions, not a very large library, and comes at a reasonable price. Very Epic Sounding !

Cheers.

Hi muziksculp,

have a look at Wallander Instruments WIVI http://www.wallanderinstruments.com
    WIVI Brass 1 is the best orchestral brass in my opinion. I think the site needs some orchestral epic cues to showcase what this library is capable of. I have the complete ProjectSAM Brass and KH Emerald. I have tried EWQLSO Gold too. Tone wise, Sonivox and ProjectSAM are both really good. KH Emerald, for example, is really playable.
    But WIVI is another world. It's not samples, but sounds as real as the real thing. It's more expressive than anything in the market and is CPU and RAM friendly. WIVI Brass is out now, and woodwinds are next, and it seems it won't take too long. After having purchased WIVI, I don't want to use other libraries. I want to have a WIVI orchestra
    and forget about loading times, runnig out of polyphony or hard disk space, RAM etc... download the demo and try it yourself. The demo is very limited, but you can taste its playability. There is only 1 horn, 1 trumpet and 1 trombone, without mutes and with restricted ranges (about 2 octaves). But with the Pro version, you can have every mute you want,
    you can place the instruments in the virtual stage and build sections of any size. You have, for example 4 different horns, but since they're not samples, you can have a 8 horn section if you want, with timing and intonation variations (user defineable) and WITHOUT any phasing issues. I know I can sound like a WIVI sales person, but I can't say
    anything bad about this thing. Of all the sample libraries I've purchased (ok, this isn't one, but you know what I mean) this is the best bang for the buck!

It's $616 (cheaper than Sonivox), has all mutes you'd want and you can build your own ensembles. Plus it's suitable for jazz, pop, orchestral or whatever kind of music. Have a look at the demos in the forums at http://www.wallanderinstruments.com/...wforum.php?f=5 . And have in mind, Sonivox and ProjectSAM demos are made by Pro's. That's why I think Wallander should have Pro demos (although the ones from users are good )

Hope to have helped
    -Dani-

Sonivox Brass includes a 6 french horns ensemble patch which I think compares pretty well with the VSL Epic Horns, which is 8..

I played around with Sonivox Brass once but don't own it.. tried out a bunch of the patches, etc.. it was good enough that I plan to buy it as my next major sample library purchase! I thought the samples were, for the most part, better than the ProjectSAM Brass.. I definately preferred the Sonivox Horns to the SAM Horns... But the solo brass in Sonivox is not as good as the ProjectSAM Solo Sessions..

I've never heard the Sonivox woodwinds myself so can't comment on those..

big thumbs up for Wallander.
    i hope their woods are as good as their brass.
    strings? i'd love to hear Wallander strings.....
    and no....
    i don't work for them either.
    if companies like Wallander, Synful, and Pianoteq keep on improving,
    the days of huge sample libs will be a thing of the past!
    best, david r.

Quote Originally Posted by ZareOne
    Hi muziksculp,

have a look at Wallander Instruments WIVI http://www.wallanderinstruments.com
    WIVI Brass 1 is the best orchestral brass in my opinion.
    [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by david robinson
    big thumbs up for Wallander.
    i hope their woods are as good as their brass.[...]
    Musiksculp,
    I too have this opinion, just from the trial, which I have used in a few songs. I would also go as far as to say WIVI is the best VI I have ever used or heard, and is nearly indispensable to me.
    Cheers,
    Chris

strings- now thats something i'd love to hear.
    i know they're working on it.
    cheers, david r.

Overall I've heard mixed things about the Wallander instruments.. that the sound of single notes is not as good as sampled instruments but that it is much easier to do crescendos and decrescendos with the synthesized ones, and thus easier to get the music to be more "musical" even though the sounds themselves are not quite as real. I've also heard that you pretty much need a breath controller to use it properly..

If you already have SISS, the Sonivox brass melds very well with it.

Hello, and Thank You for the very interesting feedback.

Honestly, I was surprised that the "Wallander Instruments" 'WIVI' seem to have made quite a positive impression on quite a few sample library users, and since WIVI does 'Not' use samples, but rather uses some kind of sophisticated additive/or other type of synthesis technology to synthesize acoustic instruments, kind of a parallel to what "Synful Orch." is using (but possibly with another twist) it has a very important advantage over sample based libraries consuming GB of Sample space, and requiring intensive streaming from disc capabilities.

I noticed that not much info. is available regarding the synthesis technology WIVI uses, or where "Wallander Instruments" the (company) is based, maybe more of this info will be available soon.

It would also be very interesting to see if WIVI would try to tackle strings with this new technology, both section and solo strings, and not to forget... Woodwinds, which I think is what they plan on releasing next.

After listening to some of the mp3 demos on the Wallander website, in addition to some of the demos on their Forum section, I think they are very good sounding in general, but it would also be nice to hear some more cinematic/epic type demos done with WIVI, that have been mastered/polished a bit further, and orchestrated with some of the popular string/woodwind/percussion sample libraries, to better evaluate their potential.

I think the area that "synthesized" acoustic instruments tend to be a bit weak at, is in the ((Timbre)) department, since sampling is basically recording the instrument with all its natural timbre intact, synthesis has to approximate an instruments timbre, so a bit more challenging, also, physical modeling is another technology where timbre is still the weak link when it comes to creating a super realistic sounding instrument, but this new synthesis technology seems to be doing a better job as far as timbre is concerned than physical modeling is capable of (for now).

Well, we are approaching some very interesting times for new sound technologies, that could change things around from the Gigabytes of heavily streaming libraries, to light weight, and very flexible non-sample based virtual instruments, that can be more realistic sounding than sample based libraries (especially, once the issue of achieving very realistic tone/timbre is possible via synthesis/physical modeling).

Any additional feedback regarding Sonivox Brass and Woodwinds, or Project Sam Brass ? which are the sample based libraries I am considering.

Now, WIVI is another one I would have to evaluate, so ... It's getting tougher to make a decision on what woodwind/brass to add to my current mix of samples. I'm not in a big rush to add more brass or woodwinds, but I'm sure they will come in handy, since I will be installing a large amount of sample libraries on my new two mac system. Mainly EWQLSO Plat. Pro EXP, some VSL Horizon titles (Epic Horns, Solo Strings, Chamber Strings, and Opus 1, and some other popular EW libraries, such as RA, Symph. Choirs, Colossus, SD, Ethno World 3, SISS, and some older Kurzweil, Akai, and Giga format libraries, so, quite a bit of installations/Reg/Authorizations to go over. (it will take few weeks to install... Not lots of fun).

I see some exciting times ahead for electronic musicians.

Cheers.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast