• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT- copyright issues (for music tracks, not samples, thus OT)

Share/Bookmark

OT- copyright issues (for music tracks, not samples, thus OT)

Hey!

This is totally off topic, but somewhat I can't see it fit anywhere else...

I was wondering the following issue:

I'm Greek, living in London, and working with an American game maker, living in Japan (go figure...). Fine so far. I also pay taxes in Greece and in the UK. Greece for certain... properties, and UK for my music work.

Fine so far. BUT. Which copyright law governs MY tracks? I've managed to keep copyright of the music, with the game developer (we have a perfect relationship). In all honesty I would love to have my tracks be ruled by the uk copyright law and not the Greek, or the Japanesse. UK and US seem rather simmilar.

Any ideas?

And yes, there are differences between the Greek and the Uk law. While in both laws you are automatically the owner of the rights, there are other very important differences..

As I said, any ideas?

Re: OT- copyright issues (for music tracks, not samples, thus OT)

I am certainly no expert, but the fact that you work and live here in the UK and the producer is hiring you as a UK composer... I would work to UK Fees and copyright..

Simon.
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

If you get to keep ownership, then its up to you really to file copyright info (which is already yours anyway since you are not signing over all rights, you just need to follow the proper legal channels to make it easier should any issues come up). So in short, I think you would file with whoever you would normally file locally.
    www.energiestudios.com

Fair enough, that's what I thought (thanks guys).

But if someone, for example from Greece, or France, steals one of my tracks, which court will take in the case? Which laws will they follow? This is my problem. Cause laws are hugely different in certain aspects between Greece and the UK (for Stephen), and I see every reason to be with the UK law and not the Greek one.

Simply put, Crossingsounds, from the US, steals one of my tracks. Where do I file, what proof do I use, what courts will take part, will the crouts accept the kind of proof I have from... the uk, for example?

Well as far as I know, there are no universal copyright protection laws between all countries, I know that the US has treaties with several key nations regarding copyright laws, but that doesn't mean your work is protected in all countries. Possibly the harsh reality may be that unless your particulair region has things in place with other nations, then your work is up to that particuliar nations copyright laws, and if they differ, then they may be able to use your stuff in their country, because thier laws are not your laws. This I believe is the case, and probally why there are agreements and treaties within different countries, but not all however.

There are probally good resources to look into, and possibly there are steps you can take to help protect your work even further, but I wouldn't sweat too much, as long as you are getting paid decnet
    www.energiestudios.com

>>Which copyright law governs MY tracks? I've managed to keep
    >>copyright of the music, with the game developer

The copyright only governs in the country of use. Therefor, the dispute between copyright holder and whoever steels or misuses your tracks will be negociated according to the law where steeling and misusing happens.

The dispute between you and makers will be negociated according to law of the country that the contract states. So, I strongly suggest you to put in the contract.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Hey!

This is totally off topic, but somewhat I can't see it fit anywhere else...

I was wondering the following issue:

I'm Greek, living in London, and working with an American game maker, living in Japan (go figure...). Fine so far. I also pay taxes in Greece and in the UK. Greece for certain... properties, and UK for my music work.

Fine so far. BUT. Which copyright law governs MY tracks? I've managed to keep copyright of the music, with the game developer (we have a perfect relationship). In all honesty I would love to have my tracks be ruled by the uk copyright law and not the Greek, or the Japanesse. UK and US seem rather simmilar.

Any ideas?

And yes, there are differences between the Greek and the Uk law. While in both laws you are automatically the owner of the rights, there are other very important differences..

As I said, any ideas?
    Hi Nikolas-

You might try this as a reference- www.futureofmusic.org and talk with Jean Cook
    She is very familiar with these issues, at least in the states!
    MP

Your works are being created in the UK, so UK law applies.

The Berne Convention is the overarching international policy to keep in mind. Most countries have signed on to it at this point. Basically, it says that all countries have to protect foreign copyright usage in their countries as they would with their own copyrights. EG. If one of my songs (created in the U.S.) is used in Japan, in violation of Japanese laws, then they will be prosecuted despite the fact that the songs weren't written in Japan.

Make sense?
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Thanks all for the info.

Go Back to forum