• Register
  • Help

Topic: Flight

Share/Bookmark

Flight

http://music.timberwolftech.com/inde...20Pro/O-94-3-3

Flight, or O-94-3-3 in my numbering system, was originally intended to be a more mysterious piece. Unfortunately, I ran out of ideas about 30 seconds into it and went back to my usual style.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Re: Flight

A rousing theme which reminded me a lot of game music. Although it does sound a bit mechanical or robotic to me, especially the hi-hats. GPO seems to be designed for humanizing, which might give it a bit more organic sound -assuming that is what you are after with the piece. I liked where you were going in the first 30 sec too
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

Frankly, my computer has been giving me trouble with this score. This was the best recording I could get after it. It involved me having to remove the Humanizer scripts from each instrument. Otherwise it would click every beat or two.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Hi, CJPRO - I don't think I've heard music from you before. I enjoyed this.

I Strongly suggest you remove the apology at your site--the one you have here also: "Unfortunately..." - Why be so apologetic and say negative things about your own work? Especially before someone's even listened--It doesn't exactly inspire one to stop, listen, and possibly be impressed. Really--I hope you think about that.

Something I'm not clear about:

"...I apologize for the popping sounds and some notes that seem to come in at strange times, my computer keeps having problems when playing back my scores..."

But when you render or record your work, whatever limitations a CPU might have during live playback don't cause the recording to have the same problems. So I'm not sure what you mean--?

My projects are of a size that it's impossible for everything to play smoothly while I'm still working on them. Pops, clicks, drop-outs, stutters--But exporting the work at slow speed to a .wav file, and those live playback limitations don't happen--the recordings are perfect. I'm talking about using Sonar--I realize you're using a notation program and the procedure is different, but isn't the concept the same--A rendering doesn't include the same CPU limitations?

Thanks for the post.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi CJ,

A rousing ride on this, with a lot of very cinematic elements
    to it, my friend. But as you say, I hear you struggling a bit
    with "content maintenance" (that is, keeping a flow of fresh
    material infusing its way into the piece).

CJ, sometimes the solution is to stop dead and take off on a
    different tack... something contrasting. In this case, maybe
    just call a halt and go to something slower and quieter for
    a while; then pull back to the highly energetic main material
    later on.

I know that sounds simplistic. But hey, guys like Bruckner
    did it all the time, and it can work quite well.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I can see the cinematic element. The bit after 30" made me think of one of those rooftop chase scenes that are a staple of TV action series. Or used to be in the days when I watched TV. But it seemed to develop a tongue-in-cheek aspect toward the end that made me think of a parody of some kind, maybe a rooftop chase scene from a Wayne's World movie? I enjoyed listening to it. Great fun.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by diligamus
    I can see the cinematic element. The bit after 30" made me think of one of those rooftop chase scenes that are a staple of TV action series. Or used to be in the days when I watched TV. But it seemed to develop a tongue-in-cheek aspect toward the end that made me think of a parody of some kind, maybe a rooftop chase scene from a Wayne's World movie? I enjoyed listening to it. Great fun.
    This is the kind of music that I wish would be heard in my head on its way to paper. Brovo!
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Great action music, but I did wish that the opening had been longer. You have two pieces, here. Separate them - and work on them independently. They both deserve it! It is hard not fall into habits, old or otherwise. David's advice is good, as always.

As to the rendering/converting to a wav without popping: Sibelius 5 has the ability to make a wav/aiff file at a speed that your computer can handle (from Randy's post, I guess one can do this in Sonar). Perhaps Finale has this, too?

Nice work.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Powerful, driving, motivating, and very dramatic and cienamatic; these words come to mind. Very much enjoyed! Thank you for sharing.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    As to the rendering/converting to a wav without popping: Sibelius 5 has the ability to make a wav/aiff file at a speed that your computer can handle (from Randy's post, I guess one can do this in Sonar). Perhaps Finale has this, too?
    Finale does have it. Yet, I'm still using Sibelius 4. Only a short while before I make the switch to Finale 2008 though (I just tried the Sibelius 5 demo and didn't find much of a difference that would help me).
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum