• Register
  • Help

Topic: Timp Rolls / Percussion Problem and Finale 2008

Share/Bookmark

Timp Rolls / Percussion Problem and Finale 2008

Up to now I have been working around the percussion and particularly the timpani problem in the GPO KP2 update by using Kontakt Player 1 for timpani.

Just to recap on the problem, the percussion in the GPO KP2 update does not play timpani and other percussion rolls properly. The timp rolls have the machine gun effect in KP2 whereas in KP1 the timp rolls play smoothly. Tom is aware of the problem and has promised a fix in the future. The suggested workarounds were to use KP1 or apply EQ. I prefer to use the KP1 work around as, for me, it gives far better results; I have not been very successful using the EQ idea.

I have now completed a clean reinstall of Finale 2008 and GPO and JABB. I removed all previous versions before the clean install. The problem now is that the original Finale full GPO verion 1.1.8.3, which uses the Kontakt Player 1, will not install in Finale 2008. The installer states that Finale 2006 must be installed. If I select the option to continue, it doesn't install the 'Notation' set of instruments needed by Finale. By comparison, JABB installed perfectly and I was able to paste the Garritan Jazz VST and txt files into the Finale 2008 VST folder and the JABB 'Notation' set is there.

Can anyone please help me to add the GPO KP1 Notation set to Finale 2008 or suggest another workaround for the timpani/percussion that will give the same results as using the KP1.

The timpani is so important to me that, for me, it was a significant oversight in GPO KP2 but I was content with the workaround which worked perfectly. Now I'm rather anxious and hope that someone can help.

Tom, whatever is missing in KP2, is this something I can reset myself in KP2 or does this require programming knowledge?

Many thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Timp Rolls / Percussion Problem and Finale 2008

Hi Michael,
    Have you tried to write in the roll, i.e. start with eight-3 sixteenths, 4 32nds, etc.? Write it to sound like what you want.
    Gary

ok, rather than write a new post I decided to edit this one...

For those who use Finale and GPO and HP:

as an example, using snare drums.
    Snares come with a sampled roll (C#).
    simply write C natural, and HP will automatically recognize the /// marking as meaning that it needs to go get the sampled roll on C#.

no need to write different notes for single hits and rolls.

HP REALLY needs a users manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Can anyone please help me to add the GPO KP1 Notation set to Finale 2008 or suggest another workaround for the timpani/percussion that will give the same results as using the KP1.
    The Important Fix #2: Notation instruments folder blocked if Finale not installed thread might help you

Maybe my EQ tweak of the KP2 Timpani can help?
    Timpani KS
    n-Timpani KS

Thanks everyone for your replies and for helping out.

Gary,

It doesn't matter what rhythm is scored, whether it's 8ths, 16ths or 32nds. In the new KP2, each note, whatever rhythm, has a fresh strike rather than 'blending' in or carrying over from the first strike to give that characteristic timp roll 'rumble' effect. The timp in KP1 is set to recognise this and to respond to give the 'correct' sound. This has been omitted in KP2 so the result is a pronounced machine-gun effect. This is a recognised 'bug' which Tom has acknowledged and has promised a fix.

Michel

Thanks for posting that. I note that the example you gave is for a snare which has a sampled roll, unlike the timpani which doesn't (yet). Anyway, I'll give this a try and see if HP can weave it's magic for timpani just with a single note and the /// marking. Previously I had entered a row of 32nd notes and relied on KP to play the effect. This will be very interesting.

Nickie,

I remembered reading that Fix #2 and thought it might be what I am looking for but I couldn't find it. Thanks for posting the link, that's great. Many thanks also for the link to your EQ tweak; it was good of you to provide these for us. Will give both of these a try.

Either way, it looks like I have more than one solution and that's fantastic. Many thanks.
    Michael

Right, I now have both KP1 and KP2 working together in Finale 2008 so I have my timpani back.

I shall also try the HP playback and Nickie's EQ files.

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.
    Michael

If you want the Wizard to recognize my Timpani fix, you can try this revised version of gpofull2instrument.txt. I cannot test it myself, because the Wizard makes Finale 2007 crash after I installed the FinaleVSTHost v1.0.0.18. Just select Timpani KS EQ instead of Timpani KS. I expect it will work, provided you placed the file n-Timpani KS EQ.nki in the same folder as the original file n-Timpani KS.nki.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    If you want the Wizard to recognize my Timpani fix, you can try this revised version of gpofull2instrument.txt. I cannot test it myself, because the Wizard makes Finale 2007 crash after I installed the FinaleVSTHost v1.0.0.18. Just select Timpani KS EQ instead of Timpani KS. I expect it will work, provided you placed the file n-Timpani KS EQ.nki in the same folder as the original file n-Timpani KS.nki.
    Nickie, you are being kept busy.

This is great. The 'Wizard' seems to work fine with your file on a quick test. Will give these all a thorough trial later on.

Many thanks.
    Michael

Go Back to forum