• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: KH VSP automation question

Share/Bookmark

KH VSP automation question

Hi,

I have the Kirk Hunter VSP in the works since a few days. Very useable warm sounds in the strings, really.

My question is whether anybody succeeded in automating the StartVib parameter. I have been sending cc32 messages to the SusVib parameter and this seems to have an audible effect, but not with cc20 to StartVib.

As a workaround I tried assigning cc20 to the script knob per hand but this makes it crash after a few minutes.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Re: KH VSP automation question

Hello.

Usually, the way I do it is to assign a K2 automation number (20 in this case) to the StartVib Knob. In the K2 browser, open the "Auto" tab. Drag #20 onto the StartVib Knob. Then in your host, make sure the track you're recording on is automation-enabled (such as latch, touch, etc.). Then when you move the StartVib knob as the track is playing, the automation writes perfectly. Or, you can simpy draw the automation by hand with the same result. I'm not sure why your program is crashing. That might be a different issue. I will test using the midi cc20 soon as well.

After significant testing in different sequencers, it seems that there is a bug in K2. However, I've checked and it looks like they're fixing it in the next update which is already in beta. The bug is with reading and writing either host or cc automation when running K2 as a multi timbral instrument as a plugin. The automation works fine when you load K2 in as a stereo instrument, but acts very poorly as a multi timbral instrument.

Kirk,

thank you for responding and testing.

Since the StartVib knob says "Wild or Tame cc20" I thought there would be parameters responding directly to a cc20 input, no?

Looking into the instrument groups indicates that cc20 does not directly influence intensities but time constants. Maybe this makes it harder for Kontakt to calculate the effect of a parameter change?

Hannes

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Kirk,

Since the StartVib knob says "Wild or Tame cc20" I thought there would be parameters responding directly to a cc20 input, no?

Looking into the instrument groups indicates that cc20 does not directly influence intensities but time constants. Maybe this makes it harder for Kontakt to calculate the effect of a parameter change?

Hannes
    The response SHOULD work with direct response to CC20, and in fact, it DOES, but only when the instrument is loaded as a stereo instance rather than as a multi-timbral one. That's the bug that NI is working on.

The "time constants" actually do influence the "wildness or tameness". It's all about telling the instrument when certain sounds fade in or out or whatever they are supposed to do to get the desired effect. The big problem is that K2's current version has trouble with flex envelopes, which I use extensively. (Flex envelopes sound MUCH more natural than the adsr!)

Kirk,

now I understand. I hope they will sort this out soon since your concept of putting together a note by a recorded natural start part and an infading sustained note gives very convincing note starts from legato to marcato and it would be well worth to have all this working with automateable vibrato amount.

In case you are open for suggestions: I felt free to make the dynamical range of cc01 bigger (down to pppp) and also established a vibrato controller zone for my use where the 18VlnsHvAddsamples are heard more or less without mixing them with others, and in full dynamical range from pppp to ff. They are really beautiful and should shine for their own.

Hannes

Got any pieces you've done with it yet, Hannes? I'd like to hear them!

Off topic venting: HARRUMPH! I think the numbskulls who live up front from me (I live in a mother-in-law unit) marked my VSP "wrong address - return to sender" and shoved it back in the mail for no logical reason. Soooo annoying. I should have just had it sent to my dads house instead. I'm all stoked to use it for my new demo reel too.

I just can't catch a break lately!

Yes, all the great automation programming in VSPro was done on instruments which were loaded as simple stereo instances. Automation works perfectly on this. We already knew about the bug in the releases using flex evelopes, but knew they were fixing it. We did NOT know about the icky multi-timbral automation fiasco... But I'm told they are working on that.

I guess this bug is why, when I try to control cc#20 or cc#32 via Behringer controlsurface - Nuendo, any values I send reset everytime I play another note on the keyboard. Not able to "write" any controller data as a result. Very frustrating. I can't wait for the update, I'm on a movie. Anybody have a work around.

Thanks,

Mr. A.
    Nuendo 3/ Cubase 4.5 on XP sp2 QuadCore 2.66 Ghz VisionDaw Built DAW RME HDSP 96/52 into ProTools HD3 (digi192x6) on MacPro 3 Ghz... Farm PCs x (6) VisionDaw Machines PC Dual 2.66 Ghz w- Kontakt 3.5 w/ UAD Cards Midi Over Lan

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    Just one?
    lol. lol some more to reach 10 chars.

Go Back to forum