• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Westgate flute for gtr/flute duet?

Share/Bookmark

Westgate flute for gtr/flute duet?

Hi,
    I'm looking for a flute to use with an acoustic guitar for 60/70s 'folk' type of stuff (john renbourn etc.). Any opinions about the Westgate modular flute for that sort of thing? I'm thinking of the single downloadable flute rather than the DVD, as the price seems very reasonable.
    Is it fairly convincing? Any opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Re: Westgate flute for gtr/flute duet?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    Tim,

Be advised that the upper octave of the Westgate Flute is extremely breathy - the breath harmonics are almost louder than the fundamental.

Stephen
    Thanks, Stephen. I'll try and find some more demos to have a listen to, and watch out for that.
    Tim

The lower octave sounds very nice - the problem is only in the upper octave.
    I was fooled by the demos and bought the download. Westgate wouldn't even acknowlege the problem.

Stephen
    Perhaps you could provide some examples of this phenomenon since you are publicly criticizing it at every opportunity. This behavior could be considered entirely biased and unfair. I have not heard the problem. Certainly you can hear air moving but as you know that is the nature of the instrument.

Unprocessed example -
    wav file: http://www.tunefulmoon.com/mp3/WGFlute.wav
    256kbps mp3: http://www.tunefulmoon.com/mp3/WGFlute.mp3

Tim -
    IMO the WG Flutes are your best bang for the buck. I'd be surprised if you didn't order the DVD after purchasing the download.

Fizbin,
    Thanks for the unprocessed examples, they're very helpful. With a demo, we can never be sure what's been done.
    Cheers,
    Tim

No - don't have any samples - the program went to the circular file long ago - was a waste of disc space. Why would I keep around samples of something that was not usable - if it was unusable then obviously no works were made from it.

I see you're fronting for Tim. Yes there should be some breath - but it and it's harmonics should not be as loud or louder than the fundamental - only the flute player themselves hears the flute close to that way - not an audience. AND - you can't process it out.

Getting tired of shoddy work in libs being alibied all the time.

Stephen
    Do you hear the problem you mention in the sample I've provided? Is there some specific patch I should be listening for it in?

I'm not "fronting" for Tim Smith, though I do own the library. I am simply calling you out on your auditory hallucinations.

In addition, I am addressing "Tim" the author if this thread.

Notice how the amplitude of the fundamental goes way down?
    No I don't

Quote Originally Posted by tim rosvall
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a flute to use with an acoustic guitar for 60/70s 'folk' type of stuff (john renbourn etc.). Any opinions about the Westgate modular flute for that sort of thing? I'm thinking of the single downloadable flute rather than the DVD, as the price seems very reasonable.
    Is it fairly convincing? Any opinions appreciated.

Cheers
    Is it the most realistic flute sample out there? No. But that's not the say it's not useful. Especially at the price. I like most of Westgate's instruments and while the flute isn't my favorite, I've used it in several situations. As has already been mentioned in this thread, the WG flute is a bit "airy" in the higher registers. I don't view that as a big enough negative to avoid the entire library though.

When I'm working on a piece, I use the WG flute section and solo for most parts where the flute is playing with the whole orchestra. If it's just the flute with very light accompaniment then I'll use my VSL solo flute (K2 version). Here's two wav files for comparison:

http://musicbyjpg.com/WGFlute.wav
    http://musicbyjpg.com/VSLFlute.wav

Compared right next to each other you should be able to hear the breath noise in the WG flute without a problem. The VSL one has a "purer" tone. So if I'm looking for a pure flute tone with little to no accompaniment I'll stay away from the WG but for anything else it's not as noticiable and blends well with my other libraries.

In the end though it always comes down to personal choice and the sound you are trying to get.

I'd recommend the WestGate modular series in a heartbeat. Low cost good quality. It's not the best sound library out there (like SISS or VSL) but, like GPO, it is very useful and very affordable.
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JPGarbarini
    Is it the most realistic flute sample out there? No. But that's not the say it's not useful. Especially at the price. I like most of Westgate's instruments and while the flute isn't my favorite, I've used it in several situations. As has already been mentioned in this thread, the WG flute is a bit "airy" in the higher registers. I don't view that as a big enough negative to avoid the entire library though.
    JP,
    Thanks for those examples, they're interesting to hear. To be honest, visiting forums such as this one has taught me that I definitely don't have a sound engineer's ears (don't know if that's a curse or a blessing). Both of your files sounded 'like a flute' so I'm probably better off going for the more affordable, in this case at least.
    Thanks again,
    Tim

Hi all, Thought I'd just chip in this thread and mention that all flutes will sound breathy in the top register to some degree - it will be interesting to hear you guys' thoughts after watching
    James Galway's 16 flute test

Cheers
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jonray
    Well that was educating. To me they mostly sounded the same, some were less noble sounding than others. That guy can play the flute. Are all those flutes good ones or do the crappy ones sound good too? I play the violin and the difference between a cheap chinese and a hundred years old professional violin isn't subtle.

Go Back to forum