• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Symphony No. 1 mv 1 "The Leela of Conjunctio"

Share/Bookmark

Symphony No. 1 mv 1 "The Leela of Conjunctio"

Leela (Sanskrit/Hindi): the play of the divine
    Conjunctio (Jung) the "field", or third thing, between two people, which has a life of its own.

Note: This is not, strictly speaking, a symphony. If I had to do it over, I would simply have dubbed this and its sister movements an "orchestral suite" or something like that.

You can listen to this on my soundclick page at:

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/0...&content=music

For your convenience, I have placed it at the top of the list.

This was my first attempt at an orchestral work, inspired by listening to Gorecki's 3rd symphony.

Thanks for listening.

Karen

Re: Symphony No. 1 mv 1 "The Leela of Conjunctio"

Karen, it's already become a special treat when there's a new piece posted from you.

Such versatility--This is in such a different mold from what we've previously heard from you, and it's a classically informed delight. The opening segment is thoughtful and hymn-like in nature--Then some dissonant surprises, and a beautiful middle segment which couldn't have been predicted - and onwards it builds.

It's hard to beat the experience of being enthralled by music. That happens sometimes, and it certainly happened to me as I listened to this. Crafted and confident, obviously carefully and lovingly conceived--No rushing to share an incomplete version, no excuses or qualifications warning listeners about short-comings you think might be in the recording. Simply a vivid, impressive presentation of a marvelous work.

Absolutely great, Karen--Thank you for this, and I must again thank you for joining this Garritan group of music lovers.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Karen,

You sure have put a lot of movements into one movement here.

Are you that prolific, you'll easily find more for future Symphonies.

This is a little laid back on the dynamics for me but that's my indiviual view and one probably not share by many others. I'm loud!

And you're into rapping?

My Best

Ray

Karen,

Yes, one can hear the Gorecki at the outset, but you soon settle into your own way of progressing. I'm not sure if this piece is meant to evolve/grow - or did you intend it to be more episodic. It seemed as if the "evolution" approach was what you had in mind at the putset, but then you switched to a more quickly-changing character approach. This is an observation, not a criticism. Just curious as to what you had in mind. There is lot of material here - could be part of something cyclical, perhaps? The lyrical sections are particularly lovely!

Nice rendering of the string parts, too!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Thanks Randy and Ray for listening.

Ray it does get louder at times. I can dig loud. Pink Floyd, Clapton, etc. Full volume, definitely.

Rap? Well, I always said I hated rap, and would quote Dave Barry who described it as sounding like "the singer is angry because the band never showed up"

However, I was visiting with a band one time, and said I was open to having my mind changed. So they launched into the most excellent rap I have ever heard -- a romp through philospohy, Shakespeare, maybe some astrophysics thrown in, and it was rhymed and timed and tight and funny. So, any rap that can reach those heights, yeah, sure. But that's a tall order.

re: many movements in one.. LOL, Yes, I've sometimes characterized some of my earlier orchestral music as like classical MTV -- one thing after another. I'm gradually learning to remedy that and actually develop my themes. I'm a beginner in that genre.

Hi Ron,

the honest truth is that i started that - my very first orchestral thing - thinking "preseumptuous! you can't write an orchestral work". really. but then i thought, what do i have to lose if i try?

so, i didn't really have any plan at all, and I am embarrased to admit this publicly, but its the truth. I just sort of went along listening in my head for what might come next without an overarching structure (and that is definitely a weakness of mine which I am trying to remedy). I mean, I was a software technical architect and database designer -- and if I had designed systems the way I have written music, well, 'nuff said.

Thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by KE Peace
    Hi Ron,

the honest truth is that i started that - my very first orchestral thing - thinking "preseumptuous! you can't write an orchestral work". really. but then i thought, what do i have to lose if i try?

so, i didn't really have any plan at all, and I am embarrased to admit this publicly, but its the truth. I just sort of went along listening in my head for what might come next without an overarching structure (and that is definitely a weakness of mine which I am trying to remedy). I mean, I was a software technical architect and database designer -- and if I had designed systems the way I have written music, well, 'nuff said.

Thanks for listening.
    I was once too (IT guy) and started to write music (always wanted to do, but never had the time). The moment I said to a friend that I was going to write a pianoconcerto the reply was: "Do you know how to do that, did you study music?" My answer was: "I don't know, I will see how it goes" .

And you know? You don't know before you try it and you tried it very very good, I'm writing this while listening and it never bored me. Go on following you intuition and make the "hidden thoughts" come out.

Raymond

The title is an intriguing juxtaposition of languages! Your composition #1 is attractive and interesting right from the word go. It is as Ron said "episodic." It reminded me a bit of listening to an overture for something. But maybe that playful changing of moods is appropriate for something called a leela?

Quote Originally Posted by KE Peace
    Well I have a story like that too. A few months ago someone misleadingly told me that Margaret Rizza had never composed anything before and just started one day. So I thought, well if that's the way it works, that anyone can just sit down an become a composer, then so can I. And that's what started me on this composing project. What my informant DIDN'T tell me was that Margaret Rizza had spent years and years in music school first! If I'd known that I would probably never have started!
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

hi diligamus!

well, you didn't know and so didn't let it stop you and that's just great. I am a freshman harmony dropout. So, there you go! I.E., I HAVE NO MUSIC DEGREE OF ANY KIND. I WOULD BE HARD-PRESSED TO ANALYZE MY OWN MUSIC THEORETICALLY. I have to turn to my Harvard dictionary of music to look up terms that are well-known for my more erudite colleagues. I had to learn what it means to take a motive (means, motive and opportunity?) and develop it using the techniques of augmentation, diminution, fragmentation, exhumation, inversion, perversion, retrograde, imitation, limitation, and fermentation (especially fermentation ) *** There. I said it, in a public forum! HAHA! I'm a musical idiot! Freeeeeeeeeee!

(I have, however, been singing in choruses for 3 decades or so, though, so guess I've absorbed alot by osmosis.)

*** Some of these techniques are used but rarely, so pardon them, but my teacher (PDQ Bach http://www.schickele.com/composition/lyrics.htm ) was into them, so out of respect, I list them here.

So for those of you who might be lurking about this conversation, and are thinking "I can't compose", I would like to say:

1. the bumblebee, according to aerodynamic principles, should not be able to fly. But he doesn't know that, so he does anyway!

2. A composition of a thousand measures begins with a single note (just write one down, then another, and you'd be surprised what might happen!)

3. I am told even the great composers are always learning.

4. and the joy is in the journey regardless of the destination.

5. (But do get some good theory and orchestration books and one or two educated people to listen and make constructive suggestions -- as on this forum!)

Just some little nuggets I have been told or tell myself on one of those days when I think I can't. (Yep, today is one of them, too.) Sense of humor goes a long way too.

Karen

This is delightful music. Something interesting and entertaining happening around every corner of your landscape. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast