• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Strad starts with spiccato - how change?

Share/Bookmark

Strad starts with spiccato - how change?

I loaded the Stad Vers. 2.0. Using Sonar. It starts in Spiccato and does nto seem to change. It sounds windy if you hold any of the notes.

How do I change this? Is it because my keyswitches are not working?

How do I use a key switch to make it legato and KEEP IT THERE?

Thanks.
    AB

Re: Strad starts with spiccato - how change?

do you mean that it starts really loud then holds, or that it does a loud sharp start and cuts out?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

It starts out loud then cuts out with a sustain at a low level. The sustain at a low level sounds terrible - like a weak violin in a windstorm. I would not mind if it sustained at the same volume or close. But in any event why did the program start with it at spiccato? And how do I change that?
    THANKS for any help you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    do you mean that it starts really loud then holds, or that it does a loud sharp start and cuts out?

i'm not sure, but it sounds like either your velocity is set really really high and you're expression pedal (or MIDI cc for that) is really low - so you get a really loud attack and weak sustain. or your expression cc is starting really high and cutting out for some odd reason.

i dont' think its set to spiccato because it wouldn't sustain then. i think the spiccato just cuts out like pizzicato, but i might be wrong. if i were you i'd try writing the stuff in in a DAW, then set the MIDI cc's for velocity lower and expression higher. if that solves it, it might be your keyboard. let me know if that does anything.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by ab53
    It starts out loud then cuts out with a sustain at a low level. The sustain at a low level sounds terrible - like a weak violin in a windstorm. I would not mind if it sustained at the same volume or close. But in any event why did the program start with it at spiccato? And how do I change that?
    THANKS for any help you can provide.
    Spiccato that you see displayed in the Kontakt interface only refers to the attack portion of the sound. As the Strad is designed to be a playable instrument, you will only get a real spiccato (without sustain) if you play it that way (ie. a very short note).

The problem you have with the quiet sustain portion is due to a low CC11 value.

Check out the manual and you'll see that velocity only controls the attack of the note (that's why you have a loud attack). CC11 controls the sustain dynamics (volume and timbre) and this will be defaulted to 0.

The Strad really requires four controls, and without them all, you won't get realistic results (in following order of importance):
    CC11 - sustain dynamics
    CC1 - vibrato strength
    Velocity - attack dynamics
    Aftertouch - vibrato speed

Thanks - I will check it out. I also have the Garritan Cello and for some reason I do not have the same problem with that. But - the last two posts make sense, so I will check it out later tonight and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    Spiccato that you see displayed in the Kontakt interface only refers to the attack portion of the sound. As the Strad is designed to be a playable instrument, you will only get a real spiccato (without sustain) if you play it that way (ie. a very short note).

The problem you have with the quiet sustain portion is due to a low CC11 value.

Check out the manual and you'll see that velocity only controls the attack of the note (that's why you have a loud attack). CC11 controls the sustain dynamics (volume and timbre) and this will be defaulted to 0.

The Strad really requires four controls, and without them all, you won't get realistic results (in following order of importance):
    CC11 - sustain dynamics
    CC1 - vibrato strength
    Velocity - attack dynamics
    Aftertouch - vibrato speed

Please read the manual so you understand the design of this instrument. This is the only way you will be able to play it correctly. The Strad uses additional controllers compared to other sample libraries to make it easier to play in real time.

Jim

I have been reviewing the manual, but I do not find it to be very user friendly. Perhaps the problem is that there are just too many variables with so many different systems.

For instance, when I load one of the violins, it says in my system information that I have about 500+ mgs in memory, but the GUI shows under 100 mgs of samples being used. Is that because of the particular setting at that point in time? Please tell me what page and paragraph of the manual explains that?

I have vienna solo strings, miroslav phil., motu ethno, and BFD drums and this was the most difficult sample set of the bunch to get clarity from the manual.

But that is why there are forums and fortunately very helpful people on this forum. And the main thing is that when used correctly, it sounds great and I would recommend the Garritan violin and cello to anyone. And for that matter, the Garritan Cello absolutely knocks out the Vienna Strings Cello, and that is with my limited ability to even use the Garritan Cello correctly.

Kind regards.
    AB

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Please read the manual so you understand the design of this instrument. This is the only way you will be able to play it correctly. The Strad uses additional controllers compared to other sample libraries to make it easier to play in real time.

Jim

Your system will show the memory your operating system, utilities, sequencer or notation program and the Kontakt Player plus samples. Best way to check usage is to see how memory is in use before loading the Strad in.

When DFD (Direct From Disk) is used, only the attack portion of the samples are loaded in memory. The rest of the sound is streamed from the hard drive.

Jim

Thanks Haydn. Assume that I am not using DFD. Is it normal to have hundreds of mgs reduced on my system information while the Kontakt GUI is showing less than 100 mgs being loaded for the particular violin?

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Your system will show the memory your operating system, utilities, sequencer or notation program and the Kontakt Player plus samples. Best way to check usage is to see how memory is in use before loading the Strad in.

When DFD (Direct From Disk) is used, only the attack portion of the samples are loaded in memory. The rest of the sound is streamed from the hard drive.

Jim

Go Back to forum