• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Power Within

Arrow The Power Within

Hi all,

I'm back with another miniature strings piece.
    It is the first composition I ever wrote, a few years ago, with my first notation program.
    The sound was far from satisfactory so I found another notation program with a much better sound.
    Still, it was not good enough.
    Then I found GPO...!

And here it is:

The Power Within

Enjoy the listening and of course any comments would be gladly received.

Re: The Power Within

Oy! Very nice.

The overall "sustained", static sound of your work is not exciting. Perhaps a way to inject some "life" into it would be a little bit of moving bass or maybe some counterpoint or both.

Good job.

Larry G. Alexander

I like this delicate string piece . Larry gives some good advice. You could also add some more dynamic variation to make it come to life. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Hello Sunbird,

you have written a nice melody! I just came home from a live-gig (it`s late midnight here...) and your little composition gives me all what I need now for my ears... .

As Larry and Louis said, you can make a lot with this by arranging it with this or that... .

Thank you very much for sharing .

My Best,

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I'll agree with the comments above. The melody is very soothing and the harmonies nice. You've managed to capture a full-sounding and beautiful string sound. But the other lines need more movement, especially the bass. Each voice should have an independent singing voice.

PS Hey, this is neat - the box.net PLAY option automatically loops the piece. So the piece was looping while I was writing these comments. very soothing ... zzzzzzz

Hello sunbird, Great work on this. Such a sweeping melody; the theme is still "looping" in my head. This work reminds me of travailing a calm sea. Very peaceful ... Thanks for sharing it.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Hello, Sunbird - I'm so glad to see you posting another piece here in The Listening Room.

This really is a nice melody you worked with in this. Everyone likes a peaceful, wistful song, at least once in awhile--even the most hard core head bangers!

I see that on this thread you've heard some advice about developing the arrangement more, and everyone basically agrees.

Well, here's my take on what could possibly make this even more effective than what you already have--but a caveat first--You might be aware of this already, but I tend to not like writing out specific ideas I think could improve a recording. I'm so aware of how all reactions are subjective, and that feedback is basically just a statement of how the writer would do things--which is never all the relevant, since they Didn't do the piece in the first place.

That being said---I have a stronger than usual feeling about this brief, sweet piece of yours--#1, that it could be much much slower in tempo, like half the speed. It's almost like a folk song, and those can be so beautiful when arranged for orchestra--and especially when the emotion isn't held back. Picture this half the tempo, under a sensitive baton which is constantly making the most out of tempo variation.

And the editing element which would make that tempo idea work best would be for the velocity of the attacks on the beginning of phrases to be reduced to the minimum. You have this flowing sound which is Trying to happen, but it doesn't really happen as well as it should, because the first notes of phrases are coming in too strongly, in my opinion.

If you experimented with reducing those first notes of phrases to really low levels and listen to the effect, I think you would hear a Much more flowing piece--of the type you seemed to be going for.

And then if you experimented with the change in tempo--I think you could make your own eyes well up with tears working with those ideas.

And so on. That's what I think.

And I've typed so long because I enjoyed the listen--I think you got that part?

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    a little bit of moving bass or maybe some counterpoint or both.
    Thanks, Larry, for listening. Yes, I know what you mean. I'm also still short of one good tool, a good sequencer, to finish my work. But this is going to be fixed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    I like this delicate string piece You could also add some more dynamic variation to make it come to life
    Hi Louis and thanks for listening. I could certainly improve things more.

Dublin, Ireland

I played this 3 times, and liked it more each time. It is a restful pastoral piece, and as such works very well. The peaceful soothing atmosphere it creates is successfully sustained from start to end. You could of course as suggested do some changes to it, insert more dynamics and counterpoint etc., but then it becomes something else, and you might gain something at the expense of something else. However you might consider extending it a little with a contrasting second theme perhaps. In any event thanks for sharing it, very enjoyable.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast