• Register
  • Help

Topic: Syncing GS3 (on it's own computer)w/Pro Tools DAW

Share/Bookmark

Syncing GS3 (on it's own computer)w/Pro Tools DAW

I finally got some stability w/ GS3 by putting it's own dedicated computer I use Pro Tools 7 and of course it is on it's own DAW.

My next challenge is to sync the 2 computers so that I can integrate GS3 as a stand alone sampler w/ Pro Tools

I have an Mbox2 for PT and a Tascam US 144 interface for Giga. Anyone with experience working with GS as a stand alone Sampler who can point me in the right direction or offer any advice?

Thanks in advance
    Midiota

Re: Syncing GS3 (on it's own computer)w/Pro Tools DAW

Both the MBox 2 and the 144 have MIDI and SPDIF inputs and outputs. Send MIDI from the MBox 2 to the 144 and digital audio from the 144 to the MBox 2. Create an Aux Input in Pro Tools and source it from the SPDIF input.

There's nothing to "sync". Just treat the Giga PC like a sound module. MIDI goes in, sound comes out.

- G

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    Both the MBox 2 and the 144 have MIDI and SPDIF inputs and outputs. Send MIDI from the MBox 2 to the 144 and digital audio from the 144 to the MBox 2. Create an Aux Input in Pro Tools and source it from the SPDIF input.
    - G
    Gamera,

Thanks! The SPDIF out of the 144 into the MBox2 worked great and I was able to get Giga audio into Pro Tools and to record it to a track in real time. Pleasanty surprised there was hardly any noticeable latency!

Now for the second part of the equation. By running the midi out of MBox2 into the 144 I was thinking I would be able to use my controller which is midi'd in to the MBox2 as a controller for Giga as well but it would not trigger Giga.

I ended up just patching my controller into midi in of 144 and midi out back into the MBox2. To make a long story short I was unable to sequence a Giga track in Pro Tools. PT did not record the midi performance.

Should your earlier explanation have accomplished that or were you just explaining how to get Giga audio into Pro Tools?

Thanks again for your insight.

Midiota

By going MIDI out of the the Mbox to the 144 and MIDI into the Mbox from your controller, you should be able to record your MIDI performances onto a MIDI track in Pro Tools. It sounds like you didn't create a MIDI track in Pro Tools, which would be needed to route the MIDI through that app.

- G

G-

It turned out to be a bad midi cable. All is working flawlessy now.

Thanks again for the help

Midiota

Cool! It's usually something simple.

- G

Go Back to forum