• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Listening Room

Share/Bookmark

The Listening Room

There has been much interest on the subject of The Listening Room. Frequently suggested is that once a thread disappears from the first page, it is no longer seen, becomes iinvisible. Well, I challenge that. I just checked all threads posted there by me, from now, through February 2007. Comments have not increased, but the number of views of the thread continue to grow as the page slides further back.

I have no explanation of the phenomenon, and would welcome one. It would also be interesting to see of others have had similar experience.

Richard

Re: The Listening Room

Richard,

Yes, I think you are right. Now whether or not people actually listen, is another case - you can only tell how many people viewed the post. So perhaps much ado about nothing? Well, not nothing - these are our musical children, so to speak.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

I should post replies there more often... and i should visit more which I haven't done lately. Sometimes i go in to listen to many, but click on the first one, then am so inspired I go off and start playing with Finale or studying harder. So, with that happening, obviously I usually don't make it past page one.

There's no way to quantify what all I have learned in that room, it's enormous, not only from the music posted but also from the replies. And for that I thank you and all the others very very much, i will always be very greatfull for that.

David

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    . . .

Yes, I think you are right. Now whether or not people actually listen, is another case - you can only tell how many people viewed the post..>
    That is right on. I was just wondering about how many people go past the first page, and apparently, quite a few.

Maybe I should put hit counters everywhere that I have score and try to match views of the posts with hits on the mp3 or whatever.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Comments have not increased, but the number of views of the thread continue to grow
    Where do you see number of views? I can only see number of replies against each thread, not number of views.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

D,

Let your cursor hover over the time of the "Last Post" and you will see the number of views and replies.

Richard,

The last work I posted was hosted on a site that has a counter - got over 50 hits (some could have come from another source, but I doubt it ) and 8 comments. One could choose to interpret that a certain way, but I'd rather not...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

It's an interesting point, Richard - And I've noticed the same pattern. Posts of mine no longer on page one still continue to get hits.

Stephen's point is probably very right on, that people feel whatever can be said has already been said previously. To just add their voice by saying, "YEAh it's great!" isn't something most people feel comfortable doing.

And also, I think most people's sensibilities lead them to assume it's maybe not all that appropriate to bring up posts that are older, especially Very old, out of consideration for people putting up fresh posts and wanting people to take a listen.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    D,Let your cursor hover over the time of the "Last Post" and you will see the number of views and replies.
    Oh, I see So this thread itself has 7 replies out of 42 views. Which as I understand it is actually quite high for the internet. Thanks, Ron.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Yeah, that's the way it works, Diligamus - It's interesting to watch how many hits a thread is getting. Some threads with a lot of replies have a lot fewer hits than you'd think, usually because someone (often the thread starter) is fairly constantly adding more replies to what they started.

Once you've visited a thread, visiting it again doesn't move the counter ahead, by the way--and that's helpful.

In The Listening Room approximately 5% of the hits yield replies, and of course there's no way to tell how many hits are from people who stayed long enough to listen. One hopes that at least 1/2 of the hits ended in listen-throughs--and it's interesting to wonder what those silent people thought.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum