• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: open to the heavens (classical strings)

Share/Bookmark

open to the heavens (classical strings)

I was so impressed with 'BEACHS ADAGIO FOR STRINGS' that I was inspired to try and write something like that. I used the instrumentation that he was using. BEACH, I hope you have a chance to listen to this and give me some feedback.
    -Jay

As of 7-9-07 I have tried to incorporate some suggestions for improvement on this piece. In particular, or have worked on the tempo, dynamics, breath space, and EQ. If you have a chance, please give a listen to the changes and tell me what you think.
    -Jay
    www.katejesse.com/heavens.mp3

Re: open to the heavens (classical strings)

Hi,

this is a nice piece of music that needs some revision, at least the rendering.
    I think - at least that's what I hear - that you did a bit too much compressing and later some equalizing for the middle frequencies.

The problem with all string samples is that they lack a bit of the mid-section and sometimes the high-end is too harsh. I am always very carefully using equalization for the mid-section. Not more than 1.5 or 2 dB. And beware, between 2.5 kHz and 7 kHz raising the levels, gives the sound a nasal effect - and that is just what I noticed in the first few bars for the violins at the left channel. When you introduce the 1st violins (I think) this perception disappeared, masked by the high sound.

Here is it again, when you strings are going down the scale ......at about 2.00 minutes.

It is so nicely written, that you should have a second (or third or fourth....) look at it.

Raymond

I can be wrong completely, but you asked for some comments.

Thumbs up Re: open to the heavens (classical strings)

Hi Jay,

Quite an impressive piece that you could develop further.
    I like the contrast of clean harmonies with disonancing ones!
    And there's definitely the feeling of being uplifted!

It's very beautiful to listen to. I think you need to work on more CC1 dynamics but then I do too so I'm no expert on exactly what's needed.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Raymond, thanks for listening. I sometimes use wavelab to raise the gain on a wave file. I think sometimes I raise it to much and a get a little hi and lo end clipping. I did redo it in sonar and tried a little equalization using sonitus and your adive. I am still playing around with it, so I am not ready to repost yet. Thanks for your comments.

Sunbird, I am glad that you liked my piece. It is my first time with this type of song (slow, and long durations with strings). I need more practice with this style, but I had fun doing it.

Diligamus, thanks for the nice words. I did work with CC1 dynamics, and I was being cautious, so as not to be to dramatic with the expressive changes. I will explore it some more. Thanks for your suggestions
    -Jay

Hi Jay,

Nice little piece here.
    a little issue with GPO strings is the lack of non vibrato string sections.
    I think the opening chords would sit better with none, in fact most of this in my opinion.
    I've just had a conversation elsewhere about how much darker an instrument is without vibrato.

I agree with Raymond on the eq for violins. I tend to drop the level around 2.7 khz following advice from DPDan.

Apart from that the technical issues of mixing and recording can and will be addressed by you with each new work you produce.

My Best

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    I was being cautious, so as not to be to dramatic with the expressive changes
    Yes, I've been cautious up till now too. I just took a look at the MIDI file provided at the bottom of the strings tutorial http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Str...gTutorial.html In the moderatly quiet passages individual notes vary CC1 from around 6 to 40. Only around 1'13" does CC1 reach 100. That's a much wider range than I've been using so far but it seems to work.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Very well done. A nice listen.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by diligamus
    Yes, I've been cautious up till now too. I just took a look at the MIDI file provided at the bottom of the strings tutorial http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Str...gTutorial.html In the moderatly quiet passages individual notes vary CC1 from around 6 to 40. Only around 1'13" does CC1 reach 100. That's a much wider range than I've been using so far but it seems to work.
    I made up a little chart that I sometimes use as reference:
    ffff - 120
    fff - 115
    ff - 100
    f - 85
    mf - 70
    mp - 55
    p - 40
    pp - 25
    ppp - 10
    pppp - 5

I never follow this exactly, but I notice it makes for a much more dynamic sound and often increases the realism.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi, Jay

This is impressive in its intelligently somber mood. I admire it very much.

Looks like there are already plenty of cooks in the kitchen. I'm surprised how much feedback there's been on this thread about working with the strings--They sound as good as most posts I hear on this Forum, and that's saying a lot.

Have fun working out what you want technically. Meanwhile, it's a beautiful piece of music!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast