• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - Help! I'm a nerd! Are you?

Share/Bookmark

OT - Help! I'm a nerd! Are you?

Yesterday I finally received a flute for my Droopy McCool action figure, meanin that, when I sit in the control position of my studio I now have both a Max Rebo band and a Cantina band doing their thing alongside me. When it arrived I sat in the studio for a minute, admiring the completed bands, and then the penny dropped.... I'm a nerd! One Tattooinian Daktarin short of a full-blown, drooling, change-my-name-by-deed-poll-to-Luke-Skywalker, memorise the schematics of the Death Star, obsessive.

So I thought I'd look for some consolation by asking others to fess up and tell us all what nerdy things you have in your studios to bring you inspiration?...

Re: OT - Help! I'm a nerd! Are you?

Let's set the record straight. Inspirational items in the studio are not "nerdy". On the contrary, anything that inspires you to work harder at your craft is actually an "Intelligent Stimulus". So, do as you please.
    I have several. Darth Vadar full helmet and mask. Two stuffed gorillas from Disney's Tarzan. Beatle posters and Beatle doll band sets. A huge picture of Gary Garritan at the NAMM show in Indianapolis. A huge poster of the girlie man band from the NAMM show in Indianapolis. A picture of my wife and myself arguing over a plate of Linguini at a prominent local restaurant. Pictures of all the bands I have gigged with in the past as a reminder of what not to do ever again! And soon pics of the Transformers (actually, Megan Fox but don't tell anyone ).
    Rock On!
    Styxx

I have a Beethoven action figure in my office at school - still in the box! And it is called "Beethoven Action Figure"; my colleague has Mozart...The same company makes Moses, Einstein, Poe, Bach figures, as well.

Nerd? Card carrying member
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

I have a Bugs Bunny Pez despenser. I had a bunch of them, but met this pretty girl at a Star Bucks who informed me she collects Pez despensers, and like a crazy man, i started giving her all my Pez despensers. I'm glad I never gave her Bugs Bunny. I keep him in a drawer. I hope she doesn't read this!

Talking Re: OT - Help! I'm a nerd! Are you?

mine is a photo of Rachmaninoff in action great stage shot keeps me going when the inspiration is not there

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    mine is a photo of Rachmaninoff in action great stage shot keeps me going when the inspiration is not there

Can't say that qualifies as nerdy. I think for that there needs to be a high amount of plastic, or at least something one could purchase at a comic book store/Star Trek convention/any place Klingon is fluently spoken.

That's why I left off my Pablo Casals poster...anyone callin' him nerdy is spoilin' for a fight
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

What 50+-year-old named himself after a Pokemon???

DESCRIPIONS OF SNORLAX:
    Very lazy. Just eats and sleeps.
    Snorlax's typical day consists of nothing more than eating and sleeping.
    Its stomach can digest any kind of food, even if it happens to be moldy or rotten.
    It stops eating only to sleep. It doesn't feel full unless it eats nearly 900 pounds a day.

PS--I just acquired a DIGI-COMP I...I had one in 1964. I'll bet someone else on these forums has one as well...COME FORWARD if you do.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Hey, this is the first time in my life that I'm *not* a nerd. At least,
    according to your definition.

Thanks!
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

True Confessions of a fellow "Nerd"---just Some of the items in my visual-over-kill little studio:

--Mickey Mouse marionette from the early 1950's sits smiling at me with encouragement right above my keyboards, next to the computer monitor.

--Mr. Spock picture, sporting red goggles, as if protecting himself from the brilliant energies beaming out around him.

--Batman Begins action figure--still pristine in the box, stands guard next to the shelf of reference books.

--Autographed picture of Johnny Duncan as Robin in the second Batman serial from the 1940's hangs on the wall in front of where I work.

--Superman Returns unopened box of Valentines sits to my right, ready to swoop in for emergencies.

-----and I could go on--but, um---I think I can be officially pronounced a "Nerd" as per the criteria of this thread.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

ALL musicians are nerds...
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum