• Register
  • Help

Topic: KP2 volume question

Share/Bookmark

KP2 volume question

there's a slider in the KP2 that when I slide back and forth the "dBs" change and the volume goes up and down.

I'd like to know what controller number that is so I can make an expression in Finale (2008) to control that slider. Nothing I've tried so far appears to affect that one, and it WOULD be nice to get more volume out of certain instruments.

if I slide the control over manually, when playback starts in Finale it just slides right back to its default position - too soft. this is particuarly noticable with percussion. I appear to have the most timid percussionists on earth inside my computer.

Re: KP2 volume question

FL Studio has an annoying habit of zeroing all volume and panning controllers when playback starts. Maybe Finale does the same thing? Try clicking on the "gears" button in the upper left corner of the instrument in KP2 and, under the "controller" tab, unchecking "accept standard controllers for volume and pan."

You could also try routing the percussion instruments to a separate output channel (st. 2) and raising the volume of that.

Hope it works.
    -Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    there's a slider in the KP2 that when I slide back and forth the "dBs" change and the volume goes up and down.

I'd like to know what controller number that is so I can make an expression in Finale (2008) to control that slider. Nothing I've tried so far appears to affect that one, and it WOULD be nice to get more volume out of certain instruments.

if I slide the control over manually, when playback starts in Finale it just slides right back to its default position - too soft. this is particuarly noticable with percussion. I appear to have the most timid percussionists on earth inside my computer.
    Finale (2007c at least; I don't have 2008) controls that controller (CC #7) and pan (CC #10) through its own MIDI mixer (Window->Mixer). Alternatively, these controls can also be accessed through the Studio View and Window->Instrument List. Or, as Chris suggested, you can disable them altogether in KP2 if you want, although I do find it useful to change the volume for, say, section string divisi passages.

-Randy
    Last edited by rfiato; 07-08-2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling

I've tried making an expression that sets volume (controller 7) to the maximum (127) and it seems to do absolutely nothing.

If you're using Human Playback, is the MIDI Data->Continuous Data setting (in the HP preferences) set to "HP (Incorporate Data)"?

Also, a word of warning: You'll probably want to check the KP2 settings for (MIDI Controller #7 (Volume) Range" for each instrument (since KP2 sets that type of setting per-instrument, unlike KP1); speaking from experience, you do not want to use a volume level of 127 if the volume controller maximum is +12 dB.
    Last edited by rfiato; 07-09-2007 at 12:52 AM. Reason: wording clarification

yes HP is set to incorporate MIDI data.

where is this control on KP2 for controller 7?

one problem with KP2 is that it is hard to decypher what each knob and slider does on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rfiato
    If you're using Human Playback, is the MIDI Data->Continuous Data setting (in the HP preferences) set to "HP (Incorporate Data)"?

Also, a word of warning: You'll probably want to check the KP2 settings for (MIDI Controller #7 (Volume) Range" for each instrument (since KP2 sets that type of setting per-instrument, unlike KP1); speaking from experience, you do not want to use a volume level of 127 if the volume controller maximum is +12 dB.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    where is this control on KP2 for controller 7?
    "gears" button | Controller tab

Go Back to forum