• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What to do if you want to really really limit yourself... animation short.

Share/Bookmark

What to do if you want to really really limit yourself... animation short.

Well...

some of you may know about a contest that just ended at SOL forums.

I just wanted to share with you the animation short, created by Zennor Alexander, along with my music...

http://www.cgempire.com/music/EWcont...lasSideris.mov (large QT file, 61 MB)
    http://www.nikolas-sideris.com/stuff...lasSideris.mpg (smaller mpg file, simmilar quality though 35 MB)
    There is also a smaller size version in my site at samples->commercial->visual, it is an flv version at 15 MB, but it's limited in size and cannot go full screen.

Animation short: Zennor Alexander.

Now, the idea hit me a bit after Simon was wondering if someone is able to work with everything he has. I did the exact opposite.

In the music I only used EWQLSO Gold Xp Pro, but only piano and strings. Selected notes, and A LOT of audio manipulation. The result is magnificent from my point of view (but I didn't win anything ), and also... weird, at least.

Looking forward to your comment.

Re: What to do if you want to really really limit yourself... animation short.

Wow!! I thought this was great. A really unique soundworld. I haven't heard any other entries, but they must have been incredible to beat you. What on earth did you do to strings and piano to get such a wide palette?

I wanted to get around to doing this, but the school year has remained horrendously busy to the last. Your ideas are so much better than mine, though, that I'm glad I didn't kill myself to fit this in as well.

This was very nice work Nikolas.

Weeks back I watched a few of the submissions (too many to see them all).

One thing that struck me about the original video itself was the obviousness of sound direction it evoked. A chaotic intro, with an abrupt break easing into a calmness. Every submission I watched followed this exact formula.

It was nice to see you took a unique approach. More avant-garde to reflect to surrealness of the imagery.

I really liked it!

I'll have to return to the EW forums and check out the winner...Sorry to hear you didn't win.

Great job!

~Jeff

The thing that's really awesome is that the music bridges sound design to music. It really hit me after downloading the blank movie for the contest.

Of all the videos I watched in that contest, I thought yours took the prize for most innovative sound design! Well done! One of these days I have to figure out how to do that.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Nikolas,

I just listened to the winning music, which I liked very much. (It reminds me of the 1980's film "Altered States").

I think what you did with only Piano and Strings + Sounddesign ranks right up there with the Winner.

Very creative.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by A. Capps
    Nikolas,

I think what you did with only Piano and Strings + Sounddesign ranks right up there with the Winner.

Very creative.

Al
    There's the reason you didn't win right there, they wanted to show off more of their sounds.

Thanks guys.

Pingu: I will, eventually show off what I did somewhere, so I will PM you. You too Dan.

Jeff: Thanks man. I really think that my entry is unique, amongs the 179... at least that...

Greg: Cheers man.

Dan: innovative huh? Prize? hmmm... how I wish... Thanks for your kind words.

A. Capps + Looper: Probably this was one of the reasons. I can speak really, as, personally, I really believed in my entry, but then again, we also have to think of the "clients", right? We can't go on doing whatever we feel like, and this is a huge lesson for me. It was obvious from the first 10 secs in the score that I was going to kill all sounds of EW, and I was sure that I wasn't going to win, exactly for this reason. I mean, honestly, I can end up with the same results, was it EW, VSL, Kirk, GPO, even sfz... (except the last piano bit, and strings where I did want a bit of clarity...). They would never pick this up. And it is my fault for not going a bit less towards sound design... (which I totally love, btw )

Excellent work Nikolas!

I really loved your entry and for me it was a clear winner. Maybe we both did the "wrong thing": We tried to create something unique, good, which can stand on its own. Oh, and we did not use 5+ libraries.

Returning to my initial point: With this you have a really serious work in your portfolio and deserve to be proud! Congratulations!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Thanks Stephen... I forgot about replying to your thread with "intelligent life?", but now you have you answer to what video I meant...

Musicpete: Probably, but doug Rogers just replied to give how (as it appears) the judging went. The creator of the short chose his favourites and then EW voted the winners. I wasn't even in the top 15 that Zennor chose... It does appear that the path I took was certainly not what Zennor was looking for.

Either way, I am really proud to what I did and the short is already in my site playing, so I'm using it already

Go Back to forum