• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Adams A7 or Mackie HR 824?

Share/Bookmark

Adams A7 or Mackie HR 824?

Using clarity as the main criterion, which wins out? I've had the Mackies for years, and I like them very much. Folks are saying that the Adams are better. But the A7s? Much cheaper, that's for sure. They do sound a little "thin" next to my Mackies. How far up the Adams chain of speakers do I need to go to get something clearly BETTER than the Mackie HR 824s?

JG

Re: Adams A7 or Mackie HR 824?

Some people like the A7's, some don't. I know they recently are selling a second version of the Mackies as well, I am curious to how they tried to improve them. I too have used the 824's for a few years (a few years ago that is). My biggest complaint is bass translation issues.

I highly recommend looking into Dynaudio speakers, or JBL's.
    www.energiestudios.com

I've got a pair of S2.5-A's and a pair of HR824's. You can tell the difference very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by linwood
    I've got a pair of S2.5-A's and a pair of HR824's. You can tell the difference very easily.
    The s.2.5a-A's being superior, or just different?

JG

Yes, the S2.5A's sound much better. Sometimes it's hard to describe the way something sounds.....I'd say tighter, more focused,better imaging, etc.....sometimes like I've removed a towel or sheet from the speaker. That sort of thing. I'm happy with them. Too bad you don't live closer so you could come over and hear them side by side. I did a project at another studio a couple weeks ago and used genelec 1032A's there and loved those, as well. Too bad things cost so much these days.

Genies sound good, but I don't like mixing music on them, Post is another story. From what I have heard from what I consider a trustworthy source, the A7's, although adam, don't really sound like the higher end adams, of course at half the cost I wouldn't expect them too. Though that is just passing along info, I don't have personal experience with them. Your best bet would be to try to find a place that has some of these higher end monitors. OR you can always purchase 2 and send one back.

In the a7's price range, I really like the Dynaudio and JBL's.
    www.energiestudios.com

I own a pair of A7's, and absolutely love them. Very clear highs, and reasonably good bass (especially when you consider how small they are!) Although I think it'd be tough to compare the A7's with the HR824's, simply because the 824's are much bigger, and more powerful.

While the A7's get a pretty good bass response, the 824's have a lot more power down there. If you're looking for a more pleasing, round sound, go with the 824's. But the A7's have the 824's beat in terms of accuracy. Those little A7's have often "uncovered" mixing flaws that wouldn't have come through on the Mackies.

I'm talking about the old 824's, by the way. I have 5 of those suckers at work, they rock! I wonder how the new gen 824's sound....

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis
    I own a pair of A7's, and absolutely love them. Very clear highs, and reasonably good bass (especially when you consider how small they are!) Although I think it'd be tough to compare the A7's with the HR824's, simply because the 824's are much bigger, and more powerful.

While the A7's get a pretty good bass response, the 824's have a lot more power down there. If you're looking for a more pleasing, round sound, go with the 824's. But the A7's have the 824's beat in terms of accuracy. Those little A7's have often "uncovered" mixing flaws that wouldn't have come through on the Mackies.

I'm talking about the old 824's, by the way. I have 5 of those suckers at work, they rock! I wonder how the new gen 824's sound....

-Alex
    That's interesting. Sort of the way my wife felt. I'm too lazy to haul the 824s upstairs to compare directly. I'll be taking the A7s back in any case, because I want to throttle the 824s with whatever new speaker I get.

I agree. I think the a7s probably are more accurate, though. I may stick with Adams, although I'll give the Dyaudios a listen.

JG

I moved from the Mackies to Adams 2.5s, and the biggest difference for me was a huge improvement in mid range accuracy. To my ears, the Mackies lack clarity in the critical frequencies for voice, especially.

Of course, there is hardly anything more subjective than speaker evaluation and it is impossible to really evaluate speakers without actually hearing them in the space where they are to be used. So, I would try to find a dealer that will allow you to return the monitors after you have a chance to hear them in your space.

Regards,

MM
    Michael McInnis Productions

Yup. That's right. I DO have the A7s at home now, and I've indicated to the retailer that I would just be demoing them, and quite likely bringing them back. If I like the 2.5s, then I think I would try to buy them via mail order from the States. Reason: the Can. and US dollars are near par, but instead of giving the Can. consumer comparable prices, the middle guys are raking in huge profits. We're still being charged 25% more than the US price, on average even though our dollars are comparable.

JG

Go Back to forum