• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pentador String Quartet

Share/Bookmark

Pentador String Quartet

With the completion of the 3d movement, Pentador String Quartet is now finished. (GPO, of course.)

I have included links to the 1st and 2d movements in case anyone wants to hear the whole thing. The links are to the new location of the files.

If, during the 3d movement, you do not at least once look over your shoulder for Voldemort I will be mildly disappointed.

Pentador (3d Mvt)

Pentador (1st Mvt)

Pentador (2d Mvt)

When Sibelius solves it's current problems the score will be available for those who have an interest.

Richard

Re: Pentador String Quartet

Hello, Richard

When I see you've posted something new for us to hear, I enjoy finding a moment when I know I can sit back with my eyes closed and just let the music happen.

One thing right off--It was a treat to hear you do an orchestration for an ensemble. I've gotten so used to solo work from you, so that in itself was a nice change of pace.

And the piece itself did great things to my head. I found myself smiling with pleasure at the patterns of energy I saw firing in my mind's eye as I listened.

It's especially fascinating to me when I hear music that is practically nothing like anything I've ever written myself. Listening to you is always a constantly fresh experience, and I'm always left feeling amazed.

I admire this very much. Thank you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hello Richard,

I've got quite a bit of your music download on my computer from the last year - I guess it is time for some feedback!

1st movement: hmmm, well fast aggressive attacks are not GPOs strengths and those repeated notes have me ducking for cover ... So I really cannot tell much about this piece. It does seem promising.

2nd movement: I may have heard this before and even commented. GPO does quite well on these almost hymnal piece. Flashbacks of Americana here with almost quotes of folk melody (my favorite parts). Well, I really liked this piece - there were very few of those odd turns (modulations?) that I come to expect (even crave) in your works but the part writing was very interesting.

3rd movement: I think I've found a cure from being pitch deaf. I may be crazy but I think some pitches were dwelt on for too long (repeated over time). Samples sound the same everytime they are played back and this causes a real problem for me in this work. Also, some of the fast ornament figures (I do not know what to call them) either do not play back well or are a distraction. So this piece too is a mixed bag.

Ah well, not a glowing review. But I always like to listen to your works attentively.

Take Care,
    YBaCuO

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    . . .

I've got quite a bit of your music download on my computer from the last year - I guess it is time for some feedback! . . .

Ah well, not a glowing review. But I always like to listen to your works attentively.

Take Care,
    YBaCuO
    Well, it is encouraging to know that you have been listening to my music for so long. Your comments are much appreciated. I have given them some thought, and will consider them again after some coffee, if I don't fall asleep early. I usually go to bed around 2:30 a.m. and it is now approaching only midnight here in the Redwoods.

The fast, aggressive attacks and the repeated notes, indeed, the whole first movement is intended to make you unsettled and restless. They will sound much better when (if) played by live performers. At least one person has written to me expressing strong interest, and has been waiting for the final movement.

The second movement was conceived a meditative or contemplative, a relief from the stresses of the first. I did not have any religious meaning in mind, although I agree that it could easily be considered as such. Basically, the quartet needed a relief from the first, and preparation for the third movement. The absence of my usual unorthodox harmonies or modulations was a part of the effort to make the movement more mediative. I confess total befuddlement at your reference to folk melodies. I will have to ponder that idea.

This may sound silly, but the repeated sounds in the third movement were meant to be annoying. The movement really was intended to create a feeling of apprehensiveness, nervousness, and a bit of fear, with only a mild relief at the close. The "ornaments" that you referred to are not exactly ornaments, as they are (to me) essential elements of the piece, and I know that some did not sound quite as they should. The effect is obviously similar to ornamentation.

I have no idea why I felt constrained to create a work deliberately calculated to cause unrest, annoyance, and fear. Maybe I should quit reading the news!
    As a whole, the piece is difficult, but not overpoweringly so. The greatest problem is the many aggressive double stops, which will be fatigue inducing.

Richard

Richard, I think the blend of the instruments is wonderful. The sound so full. The music is kind of out in the stratosphere for me, but I really do like the sound. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay

Ive really listened to the first movement so far, but wow!!! such great patterns! really sends the mind round and round and in all sorts of directions! very interesting to listen to! what are those opening harmonies please? and is it me (or my computer) but have you employed some sort of "reverse" string sound in there?!

You should send this to the string groups at manchester university (england) they'd love to play and perform this piece!

well done!

Ben

Well, thanks for the good wake-up. I am having my first coffee, having just hauled myself out of bed a few minutes ago.

No special effects of any kind, just straight-forward Garritan instruments. It appears to me that the intent of the piece has been realized. Perhaps I shall write more for strings. I had been restricting myself to organ and piano, mostly, but this was good fun.

I write the first movement last year, and have forgotten some details of the structure, but I think that the aggressive opening has each instrument playing double stops, in fourths, with the instruments separated by fourths. At least that was the initial concept, which I probably varied a bit.

It is often hard for me to describe my harmonies, as I am more concerned with the sound rather than name, and I am not sure that all of the chords would have an accepted name.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    With the completion of the 3d movement, Pentador String Quartet is now finished. (GPO, of course.)

I have included links to the 1st and 2d movements in case anyone wants to hear the whole thing. The links are to the new location of the files.
    Richard
    Richard:

Excellent as always. How come I keep thinking you need a drum set to go with the first movement? :-)

But seriously, maybe the second movement could a be a bit slower, but I need a few more listens.

Thanks you for sharing

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Great, very great what you did, Richard!

I agree with Randy, it's especially fascinating to me when I hear music that is practically nothing like anything I've ever written myself.

My Best, to a friend who gave me very much help yesterday!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi Richard, I took a quick listen to all three movements and really enjoyed it. The first movement was my favorite. The third movement does get a little intense at times (I realize that was your intention), but the ending is satisfying and rounds out the whole very nicely.

I always like your keyboard work, but I think I like this better. I hope you do continue writing more for strings.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast