• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Four

Share/Bookmark

Four

This piece goes back a few years, and has undergone a few transformations. I wrote it as a wordless choral piece, but it never felt quite right. A few months back I arranged it for clarinet quartet, and that seemed to be a good fit. I added some strings in the background, but eventually came back to a chorus - but this time they are in the background, hovering, and only occasionally coming full force to the front.

This was done in Sibelius 5; clarinets are GPO, voices are from the Sibelius Sounds.

Four
    http://homepage.mac.com/ronpearl/iMovieTheater24.html
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Re: Four

Hey Ron, this is great work! A very meditative piece; calming and soothing, but also thought provoking. Makes one ponder. Enjoyed the use of the choir and clarinets very much. Thanks for sharing this one!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

I love the sound of the clarinet and your piece really brings it out. I am hoping that GPOA will have bassett horns (the tenor? of the clarinet family). The choir sounds okay when it is simply augmenting the clarinet lines but not as good when alone (like at the beginning). I really like old polyphonic music (Palestrina, Victoria, des Prez, Orlando, Tallis). Like this older work, this piece is very calming. What mode did you use?

Cheers,
    YBaCuO

An ensemble I'd never have thought to use, Ron; but a wonderful
    sound to this... very beautiful contemplative writing in it.

This would be very approachable, too, for many choirs. The
    writing is conservative (both choir and clarinets)... and the
    stream and flow of it would be especially effective in more
    reverberant settings.

I listened through this several times... really took a liking to it;
    though modern, surely, there's an elegance to it reminiscent of
    (as YBaCuO pointed out) the Palestrina school.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

First,

Thank you for your kind comments,

Michael,

Glad it made you ponder - as opposed to being ponderous! So it seems that the combination works...

YBaCuo,

Yes, it is in the style of the polyphonic school, with a few "updates". The mode is Dorian, but as so often happens, the 6th degree is lowered so it sounds like the Aeolian mode. The raised/lowered 6th with no leading tone is a fascinating sound, for me at any rate...

David

It's not a combination that wold have occured to me, but listening to an older rendering, the clarinet choir idea came to mind. It was my idea to then add strings, but a suggestin was made that a choir would be suitable - I think I like that combination the best. The piece does work with just clarinets, alone.

Thanks for listening.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Ron,

A wonderful piece of music here and well recorded.

The GPO violins are just a bit thin in the higher register. A problem I'm facing on a piece at the moment but all in all, a joy to listen to.

My Best

Ray

Good morning, Ron

What a great experience I just now had listening to your "Four Voices." Wonderfully rich and evocative composition.

The GPO Clarinets sound great on this recording, the choir samples sound not so great, but they suffice to give an idea how well this would work with singers.

Thank you so much, Ron. This is a musical Gift--in the best true sense of the word, because you are definitely Giving something very worthwhile to everyone fortunate enough to hear your piece.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thumbs up Re: Four

Ron,

This is what I like to listen to while sleeping, hope that is recieved as the compliment it is intended. Beautlful and so peaceful. Excellent!!

David

Nicely done.!

Listening seemed to lower my stress levels for the day.. lol.
    Very peaceful, thought evocative... and lulls the mind into a calming state of repose.

Thanks!

I can easily hear this as a combination clarinet and choir arrangement. What you've done works quite well.

My only critique would be the overall volume levels seemed a bit low.(perhaps it's my cheap headphones)

Great job, Ron!

~Jeff

Your link is asking me to download an Apple file before I can listen. I don't want to do that. Do you have a direct mp3 link?

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast