• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: EWQLSO Gold and KHSO Emerald

Share/Bookmark

EWQLSO Gold and KHSO Emerald

Hi everyone, greetings from Europe! This is my first thread!

I am considering another Orchestra set ot samples (I already own IK Miroslav Philharmonik) and since my budget is not so great I am considering EW Gold Bundle or KH Emerald.

I like Miroslav a lot but I'd like to have another set of sounds.

So if any of you guys that own both these libraries could give me some general aspects, pros and cons of both it would be very nice.

I know these are very popular samples around here so I'd like to hear some opinions.

Re: EWQLSO Gold and KHSO Emerald

I think that the Gold bundle is simmilarly priced as the full set of VS pro from Kirk Hunter...

The Gold orchestra is definitely a great sounding orchestra, geared more for a film type of sound... The problem is, it has built in ambience and it's really designed to work with itself... Emerald has a lot of great sounds, strings are great, brass and woodwinds good, and it has a complimentary percussion set, but maybe the miroslav percussion could fill in for what's missing... Emerald is versatile and definitely another good contender...

the new VSL-SE would be a candidate also

Emerald, I say!

That's pretty much what I think.

Gold bundle has a huge sound, a very good pallet of articulations but the samples are extremely wet and hard to blend with other sounds - and this is a main aspect: I do a lot of contemporary stuff and I like to mix several different sounds (Giovani Ed., True Strike 2, some PMI sounds like anvils, bells, carillon and others. Some soft synths as well) and I am a little afraid Gold won't be the best choice.

In the other hand, Emerald sounds really nice (I think it can also have that big cinematic sound) it's cheaper - 230 euros vs. the 460 euros of Gold bundle - but lacks some articulations...

Perhaps adding some VS pro module(s) would be the best option...

So what do you think?

(Thanks! )

Quote Originally Posted by moosethree
    the new VSL-SE would be a candidate also
    Yes, indeed. We can add the Special Edition to the discussion!

And will this blend well with Miroslav? Because the standard library lacks woodwind ensembles, brass mutes... I would have to complement with some Miro instruments.

I would buy Kirk`s Emerald. It is very flexible and easy to play and the sound is great! Since I have it I love it... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by loydb
    Emerald, I say!
    I second that.
    I've pretty much replaced gold with emerald except for percussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    Gunther,

I'm also in a place of choosing between Emerald and GoldXP - does Emerald sound better than the demos on Kirk's site? I would prefer to go that way but need a better level of confidence than what the demos give me.

PM me with your answer.

Stephen
    Everything on my site from 02.13.06 on is pretty much all Emerald except for percussion and ethnic sounds. Percussion still being Gold.

I began using Emerald with "Enter the Museum" but only bass and strings.
    The brass wwinds and percussion are gold in that one with no gold strings or bass.

That was the test song that made me switch over the wwinds and brass also to Emerald.

Playability is the keyword.
    Emerald has it for me, Gold is harder to manage when playing.

Also, all of my mixes are pretty raw, using only 2 reverbs and very occasionally a tiny little bump of eq. around 400. At most about .4dB.
    Never any compression.

That might help you.

Also, if you go back to, "Tango" "Circo Tango" Rascallion Waltz" and
    "One Heart's Azimuth" you'll see I hadn't yet started using Emerald.
    Those are all Gold.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast