• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question about programmed rolled chords with harp

Share/Bookmark

Question about programmed rolled chords with harp

Part of harp playing technique is taking chords and normally would be played straight on the piano, and giving it a slight arpeggio feel, so if you played straight quarter note c chord on the piano, on the harp you would ask the harpist to roll each chord..

My question is, has anybody come out with a program, or a plug in that would do this for you? I'm working on a piece that has a LOT of this effect, and it would be great if you could just apply the effect to already existing chords... any info appreciated, thanks...

Re: Question about programmed rolled chords with harp

Hello, tradivoro

My copy of GPO had the MIDI Harp packets included as an extra. I bought the library when it was still being printed on 4 CDs - I'm not positive the Harp gliss plugin is still included on the DVD version of GPO, but I don't know why it wouldn't be.

At the main Personal Orchestra site there's also a link to the packets along with a tutorial--I do believe. Take a look there even if you discover this plugin on your GPO disc.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks Randy. I read mention of the packets, and I thought that it would work primarily for glisses, so that you would be in the same key. What I"m trying to do is get a complete accompaniment, with each chord with a roll. Will the packets do that? Just wondering.

Hello again, tradivoro

Someone programmed the Harp packets especially for Sonar, and those are the ones I've used on occassion. I looked once at the regular non-Sonar packets, and couldn't quite get a handle on them--I didn't need to since the Sonar ones were what I needed.

Using those, one just chooses the appropriate key and scale to use. They worked easily for me--BUT---The majority of Harp work I've done from scratch, so I get precisely what I want. Most DAWs have an arpeggiator tool, I've adapted Sonar's as a way to get the raw material for Harp.

So--my response is a mixed bag. I think you should just start experimenting to find what works best for you.

Randy B.

AH--this turns out to be even more interesting. I thought the gliss packets could be made to whatever length you want, including rolling a chord the way tradivoro wants it. Wrong guess, I guess?

But I'm always the advocate for playing as opposed to programming--it Is indeed pretty quick and easy to just roll your hand over your keyboard to get that rolled effect.

Sonar has several different CAL scripts (proprietary to Cakewalk sequencers) which make chords strummed or rolled. And the arppegiator I mentioned earlier can be controlled to the subtle needs of a roll.

And so on--But when notation starts entering the picture, I'm never sure what people need to do.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi folks,

I created a Rolled Harps package for you. Just unpack the file to the "4. Harps" folder. It will give you an "Arp" variation of the regular instruments. CC#1 ModWheel determines the speed of rolling.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Sonar has several different CAL scripts (proprietary to Cakewalk sequencers) which make chords strummed or rolled. And the arppegiator I mentioned earlier can be controlled to the subtle needs of a roll.

(rbowser)
    Ahhh ... and hummm ....
    can you tell the names of the .cals?
    I use Sonar and would like to try them.

P.S.
    So far the ones that I find most useful in Sonar are:
    controlx.cal ( which tells the value of selected controllers )
    and
    C-NTROLR.cal which will change values of selected controllers by percentage or numerical input.

I've got them bound to CTRL+Q and SHFT+Q
    and they've made life a lot easier for sure when tweaking expression.

Nickie!
    I would like your harp roll package but cannot open an ".rar" file. I am using windows xp. Help!

.rar files are opend with WinRar.

There is probably a trial version available.

Google: winrar

Here's a ZIP file instead.

Go Back to forum