• Register
  • Help

Topic: Don't forget the freebies!

Share/Bookmark

Don't forget the freebies!

Jeez-I forgot....

A while ago I put up a free slide whistle instrument at www.wavelore.com/extras.shtml

Here's the rant:

Weighing in at a whopping 21 megabytes, this tiny little instrument can do things you didn't imagine possible without sampling gigabytes worth of bends slides, tongues, pops, flutters, screeches, screams, moans, and groans (sorry, but the Sideshow Mel-style warbles are slated for an early mainenance release). Imagine

In particular, this instrument has the expressive capabilities to play amazingly dynamic passages by means of Giga's DEF filter, convincing repetitions using 8-way round-robin staccato samples, and ornaments, bends, slides, and legato passages courtesy of the formant reshaping filters. Add some clever and unconventional use of giga's standard stacking and instrument design features, and you've got something that allows you to craft a practically infinite number of your own articulations in realtime. What comes out is more like your very own team of virtuoso exotic wind players than some old plastic slide whistle. Go see for yourself! Heck, listen to this quickie demo of the whistle in call-and-response with the American Zither, if you need to....

There is also new tutorial accessible through the same page. It concerns advanced use of Giga 3's Dynamic Expression Filters. This iMIDI rule is one of Giga's most powerful features, and holds the key to programming instruments in Giga that are widely believed to be impossible on the platform. Sadly, its use has been shrouded in mystery since its introduction in GSv.3.1. TASCAM has generously agreed to let Wavelore pass along the information that they generously shared with us during the development of the American Zither. We hope some Giga users can use this information to breathe new life into their 24-bit libraries.

More free instruments and tutorial to come.

Enjoy!

Mark Belbin
    Wavelore Instruments
    www.wavelore.com

Re: Don't forget the freebies!

I missed the original post, but thanks for the heads up on this, as well as the additional info regarding features on the gigastudio... I think that this is one of the pr problems of gigstudio, in that inasmuch as I'm sure that they've built in all these great features in it, nobody knows about them, whereas with kompakt 2, there is a large body of info on the web as to how to get it to do very cool things...

Re: Don't forget the freebies!

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    I missed the original post, but thanks for the heads up on this, as well as the additional info regarding features on the gigastudio... I think that this is one of the pr problems of gigstudio, in that inasmuch as I'm sure that they've built in all these great features in it, nobody knows about them, whereas with kompakt 2, there is a large body of info on the web as to how to get it to do very cool things...
    Right. My hope is that the sharing of information on GS's hitherto mysterious functions will help gain the plaform some credibility regarding advanced programming capabilities. There is much that can be done with the Giga technology that hasn't been touched upon yet, as almost all major developers have parted ways with TASCAM.

With the American Zither, I wanted to use as many features as were available/applicable to the library's concept. After implementing those that were applicable to the instrument, I started to conceptualize and experiment with more creative applications of the technology. The slide whistle was a simple experiment, and as a small, modest instrument, I think it is an excellent proof of concept. The results have inspired Wavelore's next product, as well as more free instruments....

-Mark

Go Back to forum