• Register
  • Help

Topic: Symphony for a character (by Daniele Bergamini - with GPO)

Share/Bookmark

Symphony for a character (by Daniele Bergamini - with GPO)

http://www.webalice.it/danbergam/sou..._character.mp3

This is my most complex work so far (or, at least, of the ones composed with GPO).
    No videos attached, this time: it's a long (and sad) story.

I apologize in advance for an excessive use of the crash, here and there... I'm still learning... to control my musical exuberance! ^_^;;

Thanks in advance for your time and for your patient listening.

Daniele Bergamini

***EDIT*** July 12, 2007

1) In effects, there used to be a video even for this dedication... but things suddenly changed... and I found out that a name was another one and... that person, still don't know at what level, was more like... a character.
    That's why I just wrote it's a sad story: it used to be a happy one (this is why the ending is so peaceful and positive)... until I incidentally found out the truth.

2) I composed this piece as a little concerto... that's why sometimes pieces fade into each others, sometimes they simply end: this was conceived as a... collection of pieces, more or less linked together, having in common that person.
    Maybe it's better if I give you some titles for the different parts (the original ones were a bit different).

Wrong beginning #1
    Wrong beginning #2
    Original theme for a character
    My brain will rule the world
    Would you tango with me?
    A tearing dream
    Shadows / Lights / If I could fly / To you.
    "The gold of Captain Rich" - a danbergam's short-movie -> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=62264

I said goodbye -> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55669

"Musico ergo sum."
    "GPO : composer = unicorn : R.P.G. player
    Well, the unicorn is to be imagined... but GPO's real!"

D.B.

Re: Symphony for a character (by Daniele Bergamini - with GPO)

Hello, Daniele - I'm so happy to see you posting more music for us to hear.

"musical exuberance!" - You found an excellent phrase to describe a strong attribute of yours. Indeed!

There is So much going on here in your piece. I can see why you say this is your most complex GPO piece to date.

It's an episodic piece, mostly with variations on a tango dominating in the first half, and then moving into a Song section which seems to cry out for lycis, it's so melodic and phrased as if for singing. Have you toyed with lyrics?

Sometimes it struck me as sounding more disjointed than it needed to, because you sometimes completely fade out between sections, rather than connect them with sustained strings, or a modulation--It felt unnatural, those complete fade outs.

You said "it's a long sad story" - Do you mean that in reference to not using video this time, or that the inspiration for this composition is a long, sad story?

I can hear how your ending section seems to be wanting to leave the impression of hope and resolution. I wouldn't want to say exactly how to do it, but I think that kind of positive conclusion could be perhaps done even more definitely and strongly--if I've interpreted your intention correctly.

This is epic and thick, a bit lumbering at times because the full orchestra is employed so constantly throughout. You could achieve more moments of delicacy and contrast by having sections which feature fewer instruments--one idea.

But I was intrigued by the whole thing--there's so much here, so many interesting variations on your tango, and there's always such strong passion coming through--and that alone makes it a more satisfying thing to hear than overly-cerebral pieces.

Thank you very much, Daniele!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

OK, am I going crazy or am I hearing the "20th Century Fox" opening and a little snippet of "WB's Loony Toons" at the very beginning?

I don't know ... I'll go and listen to the rest of it.
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Wow, this is quite different! I don't think I've heard anything like this before in terms of arrangement.

Well, the opening your just going to have to explain. It felt as if a theme began and just fell apart deliberately. I really liked that notion of quick deconstruction.

As for the rest of the work I enjoyed greatly. The pauses, to me, worked b/c it seemed they were deliberate stopping points of thought and/or story line. As if the curtain fell and then opened and a new act, whether relating to the whole or not, began. At every "stop" I was excitingly anticipating where you would take us, the listener, next!

The ending was beautiful and brought great closure. What is that odd sound at the very, very end in the background?

Anyway, job well done!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Daniele - I'm so happy to see you posting more music for us to hear.
    Hello, Randy!
    Me, I'm so happy to read your opinion about it... eh, I needed to post this music... for to go on.
    I re-edited the description: I guess you'll find some explanations for your questions! ;-)

"musical exuberance!" - You found an excellent phrase to describe a strong attribute of yours. Indeed!
    Thank you!
    Sometimes I'm even too much exuberant...

There is So much going on here in your piece. I can see why you say this is your most complex GPO piece to date.

It's an episodic piece, mostly with variations on a tango dominating in the first half,
    Even "episodic" is a perfect definition!!!
    In effects, I originally named this composition "concert"... maybe I should have mantained it!
    But I totally needed to change things the more I could for... well, I needed it.
    Listening to this piece is actually still painful, to me... for the memories involved.

and then moving into a Song section which seems to cry out for lycis, it's so melodic and phrased as if for singing. Have you toyed with lyrics?
    In the very final part I used to sing a single phrase along, yes... but after things changed, I wouldn't really know what to sing anymore...
    Anyway, thank you so much, I really love that melody: by the way, it came out directly from my heart.
    Even that person used to like the whole thing.

Sometimes it struck me as sounding more disjointed than it needed to, because you sometimes completely fade out between sections, rather than connect them with sustained strings, or a modulation--It felt unnatural, those complete fade outs.
    Maybe to rename it "symphony" wasn't the best choice... you're right: it's more a collection of different themes.

You said "it's a long sad story" - Do you mean that in reference to not using video this time, or that the inspiration for this composition is a long, sad story?
    The sad/crazy side of the story came out just recently.
    This concert was composed right after that brazilian-like piece: it took me three weeks, but there were many "dead times", in the making.

I can hear how your ending section seems to be wanting to leave the impression of hope and resolution. I wouldn't want to say exactly how to do it, but I think that kind of positive conclusion could be perhaps done even more definitely and strongly--if I've interpreted your intention correctly.
    The conclusion is fading like this, not so resolutive, and it had some level of sadness... because you know people, in Internet and you realize that they have become part of your life, somehow, as friends, but, at the same time, they are far from you... only the wings of your fantasy can let you be near to them, so... it's why it sounds positive but soothing, not definitive... that distance was known, from the beginning, to be not avoidable.

This is epic and thick, a bit lumbering at times because the full orchestra is employed so constantly throughout. You could achieve more moments of delicacy and contrast by having sections which feature fewer instruments--one idea.
    Thank you for that "epic"!
    Definitely, I'll have to try to give more *variations* of intensity and character to my compositions... to experiment more with different nuances and voices!
    :-)

But I was intrigued by the whole thing--there's so much here, so many interesting variations on your tango, and there's always such strong passion coming through--and that alone makes it a more satisfying thing to hear than overly-cerebral pieces.
    Ah, that tango... [sadly shaking his head, looking far to the horizon]
    Yes, I did put all of my passion, my honesty and my sincerity, in this piece...
    Maybe, this is what really matters: to be in good faith, to be... ourselves!!!
    What the world does is not important, as long as we are sincere and do our best.

Thank you very much, Daniele!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thank you very much to you, Randy, for your thoughtful words, I always appreciate them!

Daniele
    "The gold of Captain Rich" - a danbergam's short-movie -> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=62264

"Musico ergo sum."

D.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    OK, am I going crazy or am I hearing the "20th Century Fox" opening and a little snippet of "WB's Loony Toons" at the very beginning?

I don't know ... I'll go and listen to the rest of it.
    Oh no, Michael, you're not going crazy!
    You perfectly recognized those two themes, even I didn't arranged them like the original versions...
    You know, this person was a character (even too much... ), with a lot of artistic talent... so, in the video made for this music, after two wrong beginnings, I wrote that her talents deserved an *original* theme!

Wow, this is quite different! I don't think I've heard anything like this before in terms of arrangement.
    Thank you so much!
    Maybe it's because I just try to reproduce what I have in my mind, without really following any kind of rules... but just following my inspiration!

Well, the opening your just going to have to explain. It felt as if a theme began and just fell apart deliberately. I really liked that notion of quick deconstruction.
    I re-edited the description: you'll also find some titles for the different parts!

For sure, the first part is filled with irony and sense of humor, while the second one, instead, is dominated by deeper feelings.
    It's like in the first part I was describing her, while in the second one I was telling... how I used to see her, how I used to relate to her.

As for the rest of the work I enjoyed greatly. The pauses, to me, worked b/c it seemed they were deliberate stopping points of thought and/or story line.
    As if the curtain fell and then opened and a new act, whether relating to the whole or not, began.
    "As if the curtain fell and then opened a new act..."
    I think it couldn't be described better than this, Michael!
    Literally.

At every "stop" I was excitingly anticipating where you would take us, the listener, next!

Oh, I really hoped it could give this sense of "what's coming next?!"...
    You know, it was also what I often used to wonder about that person...

The ending was beautiful and brought great closure. What is that odd sound at the very, very end in the background?
    For the ending: thank you so much! :-)
    For the very final noise... ahah, you noticed it! * Great! *
    Well, for this time, I had to add an uncommon instrument to the symphonic orchestra...
    It's a spring. SPROING!
    You know, she's the kind of person being in a certain way, then, suddenly, completely changing (even too much "completely"!!! )... to represent the way she is, nothing was better, after such an emotional and moving ending, than a funny spring.
    Just for to give some final humor and irony.
    Thanks for noticing!

Anyway, job well done!

Michael
    Thank you so much for your appreciation!
    :-)
    Daniele

"Musico ergo sum."

D.B.

Hello Dan! Good to see you back with us.

Of course, I know the story behind this -- and had seen
    the original video (which was absolutely superb); so all
    this made perfect sense to me... lol.

In it's reincarnation as an episodic montage, however, it
    remains a delight to the ear (especially that tango)...
    beautifully done, my friend.

Come back soon, Dan, bring us more!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Hello Dan! Good to see you back with us.
    ...and it's good and rewarding to read all your extra-positive comments, David!

Of course, I know the story behind this -- and had seen
    the original video (which was absolutely superb); so all
    this made perfect sense to me... lol.
    It absolutely makes sense, I'm sure!
    Luckily for me, this was an absolutely wonderful week, so... I'm leaving the past behind and I'm trustfully looking to the future!

In it's reincarnation as an episodic montage, however, it
    remains a delight to the ear (especially that tango)...
    beautifully done, my friend.
    And your comment is a delight for me as well!
    Oh, yes, that tango... well, in the end, I'm a true latin man!

Come back soon, Dan, bring us more!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Oh, David, I'll be back... and I won't be alone! Eh-eh!

Thank you so much!

Have a great everything!
    Daniele

"Musico ergo sum."

D.B.

Dan,
    Wow, it is beautiful composition, most of orchestral phases as presenting/expressing the common “excellent” romantic feels...
    In addition, say the percussion hits and violin/string-Section expression puts, where getting well-influenced with traditional Latin (Tango/Paso) orchestration that I’m mostly impressed too...
    Also, great mixing and overall rendering within GPO as well!
    I’m looking forward to hearing more…

Thanks,
    Long

Quote Originally Posted by LHong
    Dan,
    Wow, it is beautiful composition, most of orchestral phases as presenting/expressing the common “excellent” romantic feels...
    Thank you, Long!
    Definitely, romantinc feelings are something often coming out from my music!

In addition, say the percussion hits and violin/string-Section expression puts, where getting well-influenced with traditional Latin (Tango/Paso) orchestration that I’m mostly impressed too...
    I'm Italian, so my Latin side shows up, here and there, in my music!

Also, great mixing and overall rendering within GPO as well!
    Oh, I simply use GPO "out of the box"... well, in effects the spring noise in the end it's something I added by myself!

I’m looking forward to hearing more…

Thanks,
    Long

Thank *you* for your appreciation and for your comment!!!
    Have a great everything!

Daniele

"Musico ergo sum."

D.B.

Go Back to forum