• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Power of Finale 2008

Share/Bookmark

The Power of Finale 2008

I just recieved Finale 2008 and decided to see what kind of choral sounds were included from Garritan. It is indeed a much more powerful program. Much more easy to use and, of course the Garritan sounds are superb.

This is the 4th movement of my symphony entitled: The Reach Beyond Tomorrow. It was realized with Finale 2008 using the Garritan Chorus that is available with this latest edition. This gives the movement a much richer and human element.

Movement IV: A New Start

I hope enjoy this Re-Work.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: The Power of Finale 2008

Hi, Bill

I admire your composition's majesty so much. It's bold and inspiring. I half expected to start having visions of Kubrick's dancing space ships--a reference I intend to be complimentary in a sincere way.

And then there's this--what's Most on my mind--I found these choir samples So distracting and not supporting your music, to the point that they spoiled things for me. I'm sorry, but I could hardly stand hearing them and kept wanting them to just go away.

Well - You may be aware that there's been a fair amount of discussion in the General Discussion Forum about these new choir samples in Finale. A point of confusion is that it's been logically assumed that these are previews of what will be in the full Garritan Choir.

But Gary has explained, with some amount of alarm, that these were never intended to be thought of that way - He submitted some choir samples done some time ago, as a way of providing Finale with at least some rudimentary choir samples, but the samples aren't from the newly recorded selections being programmed into the up-coming choir.

I want to add that this is probably the best use of them I've heard so far. At least you have them clearly placed in the mix so they can be heard--The "under water" murkiness I've heard in some demos isn't present, so that's good.

But that old Triggered Sample effect, with the same strong, slightly off-key attack being triggered over and over--oh my, it sounds like a distinctly keyboardish sound that quickly became cliche way back in the '80's. And the timbre of that first male voice--totally unreal. The sopranos sounded better in this.

This is all IMHO - I know this is a harsh reaction, and I hate to rain on your parade. But my honest reaction is that these choir samples need to be put back in the folder--I feel your music would be Much better served without them--Wait for the actual Garritan Choir library. I could dust off the choir on my 20 year old Korg Symphony module and present you a much more acceptable choir--the bad attack problem had been conquered with those samples, legato Aaaahs were more possible--But of course I'm not going to record a sample of that and post it here.

---Well--That's how I feel. - I still love your music though!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks for listening Randy. I know what you ar saying is true by the standards of Garritan and these are at best rudimentary vocal sounds (caveman sounds), but they at least give me the opportunity to hear what is a better representation of what I want. It lacks whne the vocal part is excluded. Having other instruments carry the part does not fulfill the requirement. I know there are programs out there that would give me a much better representation of what the vocal part would but my pockts aren't deep. Just deep enough to grab the upgrade to Finale with the choral sounds.

I appreciate (really) your comments and take no offense in them. Since I am partially deaf, some of the nuances many of the forum members talk about here are lost on me. The attacks, especially in the low men's voices are very harsh. Ballancing the voices to be heard is a trick of ballancing different dynamics for the voices against the orchestral dynamics. The Finale mixer is still cumbersome and difficult to manage as the piece is being recorded.

All that said, I find the overall effect closer to what I would like to hear from this piece. Alas, a real orchestra and chorus would be far more out of my reach than a software program that emulates (or tries to emulate) them.

I am not the technician who loves the tweaking of the sound throgh DAW programs and Sequencers. I prefer to compose for a live medium with all it's imperfections, frailties and surprises.

I am sorry that the vocal part detracted from your listening experience. I wonder if that would be true if you heard the piece performed with a live chorus?

Thanks for posting. I am going to try and work out some of the 'bugs' you pointed out using articulations and phrasings.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hello again, Bill

Well I'm certainly glad you didn't take personal offense by any of my possibly over-the-top comments about the choir. Respect for you and your music is the foremost thing in my mind when I'm on one of your always-enjoyable threads.

"...I am sorry that the vocal part detracted from your listening experience. I wonder if that would be true if you heard the piece performed with a live chorus?..."

I am sure it Wouldn't be true--Oh my no, I Know that wouldn't be true. I could hear what the voices were meant to be doing for the piece, and my imagination Did make me hear and appreciate that.

Everything you said in your reply, I believe I understand--You need and want to hear this piece the way it's intended, with a choir--so of Course you gotta use the tools available. I just wish they were better tools.

I'm going to listen again and set my negatives off to a side--It's dumb to let a merely technical issue interfere with my listening pleasure.

Thanks for your reply--Hope others have a chance to hear your piece, and do better than I did first time around!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I'd like to listen to your piece, but when I get to your eSnips page, I can't seem to find a player interface.
    I'm on a Mac, using Safari 3. Is eSnips more friendly with Firefox?

Thanks...
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), 3 gig RAM, OS 10.6.5, Finale 2011b, GPO4 & CMB2

thgmusic - I'm jumping back on here to say I have a problem with eSnips also, but I found a work around that works here on my computer, maybe it will for you also.

Notice towards the top of the page, but under info about the piece, there's a small thing which is meant for previewing an MP3 widget that eSnips users can put on their websites. If you click that, the little MP3 player will appear with the right piece loaded, then it works great when you push its Play button.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by thgmusic
    I'd like to listen to your piece, but when I get to your eSnips page, I can't seem to find a player interface.
    I'm on a Mac, using Safari 3. Is eSnips more friendly with Firefox?

Thanks...
    Gee, I don't know what to say. It works on my PC, but I don't use a mack. Try rbowsers solution. If not I will upload it here on Garritan's Forum

Challenge #10 Winner

Rbowser

Just wondered how you got the avatar.

Challenge #10 Winner

I really enjoyed this, but like Randy found the vocal sounds almost distracting. However when you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    I am not the technician who loves the tweaking of the sound throgh DAW programs and Sequencers. I prefer to compose for a live medium with all it's imperfections, frailties and surprises.
    I undersand you 100%. I've only heard one or 2 of my pieces played by live musicians, but that is wha I write them all for - my GPO renderings are just so I can get an idea of how they would sound, they are not the finished product.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this movement to your symphony.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Anyway, I really enjoyed this movement to your symphony.
    I am glad you enjoyed it. I am on the verge of completing the novel to which this music is set. I've been working on the novel for years, but, like the old saying goes, "I can see the light at the end of the tunnel." It must be that freight train approaching! My intentions are to sell the novel and the music as a set. Maybe a bit ambitious, but it's worth a try. I would love to get a real orchestra and chorus to perform this for the recording. I do have a local college interested. Since I am out of the academic world, it is difficult to get the 'in-road' so to speak.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast