• Register
  • Help

Topic: Westgate clarinets - any news?

Share/Bookmark

Question Westgate clarinets - any news?

I see the solo clarinet is available for download, but any idea when the whole clarinet range will be available? I'd rather get them all in one go. Getting impatient here!

Thanks

Re: Westgate clarinets - any news?

There's really no downside in downloading the solo one now. You just pay the difference to get the DVD when it's available. It's actually pretty sweet that he's offerred to allow buying the solo clarinet (and bassoon, currently) well in advance of the complete instruments being available.

- Chris
    Intel E6600, 4 GB RAM, WinXP Pro, M-Audio Audiophile 192, Cubase 4.5.1, GVI 3.64, Kontakt 3.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by chrisharang
    There's really no downside in downloading the solo one now.
    Agreed. I've bought all the downloads, upgraded to the DVDs, and there was no downside whatsoever.

Is there anything about Westgate in its playability that is different or are they just great sounding samples you load into K2 or whatever

In addition to the Bb, we've finished Eb and Contrabass. Bass Should be done in the next couple weeks. I'd like to release the Bassoons at the same time so that may delay things a little more, but the plan has always been to have everything available by the end of the Summer.
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

Quote Originally Posted by matolen
    Is there anything about Westgate in its playability that is different or are they just great sounding samples you load into K2 or whatever
    I cannot speak about the clarinets, but I found the Westgate horns much more playable tham SAM Horns, for instance. I imagine the same holds true for many of their other instruments.

I tried to use SAM Horns at first for a piece with fast moving horns with some longer sustained notes from time to time, but the SAM Sustain sample was way too slow responding, and there was no way to change the attack. The SAM Marcato A sample had a faster attack, but still not fast enough, but the notes were not long enough. The SAM Marcato C sample had an attack that was barely fast enough but with extremely short notes. Mixing the Marcato A sample with the Sustain sample worked pretty well, but every attempt mixing Marcato C or Staccato with the Sustain sample yielded very weird sounding results, as though 4 horns were playing sustain and 4 were playing staccato rather than sounding sustained with a faster attack. I also tried making one track using Sustain and one track using Marcato A and one track using Marcato C and divided the notes up between the three, but the differences between articulations was just too great to justify that approach just to change the attack. I decided to switch horns for that piece, and at the time, Westgate horns were not yet available so I had to use VSL Epic Horns, which was a bit too big a size for what I wanted but at least I was able to get a nice sharp attack with those.

With the Westgate horns, I am able to get that nice fast attack with the standard sustain sample simply by choosing the MOD_Attack option and cranking up my modwheel. Instant quick attacks, and I'm able to then use the same sample for long notes and short notes. I think pretty much all their instruments are round-robin-ized, so that you can repeat notes with almost any sample and not get the machine-gun.

Westgate Horns sounds quite good but the samples I find are not quite as good a sound as those in SAM Horns or Sonivox. However, the playability more than makes up for that.

Thumbs up Re: Westgate clarinets - any news?

I appreciate the update, timzydee.

I think I'll be getting the horns library too quite soon. The demos sound very impressive to me.

Thanks and good luck.

Go Back to forum