• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi Interface ? To buy or not to buy

Share/Bookmark

Smile Midi Interface ? To buy or not to buy

============================================
    FIRST OFF, THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HAS REPLIED.
    IT HAS BEEN GREAT INFO AND ADVISE !!!!
    I DONT KNOW YET HOW TO REPLY TO A POST !!
    THANKS EVERYONE !
    ============================================

Hello Everyone

I am new to the forum, and I am awaiting my Garritan Personal Orchestra which should arrive in the post any day now.

I would like to ask for some advice/help regarding my gear that I have, or should have. Please forgive me if this is the wrong section to post in.

Here is my question.

I have a Yamaha PSR3000 which I use as my midi keyboard.
    I connect the Yamaha PSR to my PC via USB.
    I have a Intel Core Duo 2 (2 Gig Ram), 500MB HD
    My soundcard = Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX external

I have sequenced before using my equipment, but have never had a Midi Interface. Is this necessary for optimal performance ? And what is the purpose of the midi interface if I already connect my PC and Keyboard via USB and have a soundcard ?

Should I buy one, or is it not necessary.

Thing is, when I sample using a piano sample or do epic beat based scoring, it have a bit of a delay from pressing my key on my keyboard to the actual midi note being played through the corresponding Virtual Instrument Plugin.

Is the latency thing something I just need to setup and change the settings in my host program (SONAR) and my soundcard, or doe this have to do with the fact that I do not have a midi interface ?

Thing is, I see that some people score using a Sound Blaster live, with an old Casio keyboard. So this is confusing me.

I would appreciate any help or advice !!

Thanks for a great forum and in future I hope you will be seeing lots more of me in this forum.

Thanks everyone !!

Empneo

Re: Midi Interface ? To buy or not to buy

i wouldn't get one if your keyboard has a usb connection. i feel like it would just be a waste of money. maybe someone who knows a lot about this stuff will tell me i'm stupid. all i know is that i had a midi man because my old keyboard didn't have usb connections, but my new axiom doe, so i never use the midi man.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

if you connect to your PC via usb, your midi interface is "built in" to your keyboard, and you would not need another interface (unless you are planning to add multiple midi devices)
    the latency is most likely due to your audio card/processor settings (don't know which ones in your particular case), and I doubt it has anything to do with midi.
    good luck

Maybe try asio4all at www.asio4all.com for your audio card to reduce latency. If it does not help too much you need an audio interface, no midi interface.

(Many audio interfaces have midi too, but that is another point).
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Welcome Empneo,

To reply to a post, click on where it says "Quote" at the top of the post you wish to reply. A box will appear for you to type in the reply. Just make sure before you start typing that your cursor is after the end quote tag, which is at the end of the existing text The end quote tag looks like this:..[/quote]

And if you don't need to quote anyone, there is a post reply button at the bottom left hand corner, under the last post in each thread.

Best Regards,
    David

Go Back to forum