• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audio Interface and Mic?

Share/Bookmark

Audio Interface and Mic?

hi, i'm looking into getting a mic so i can record things like acoustic guitars as well as vocals. i then realized i need an audio interface to do it. i've been looking in the M-Audio FireWire Solo Mobile Audio Interface (its about $200). it looks like it has really good specs, so i think it would be my best bet. then i need a mic. i don't want to spend anymore than 200 (i'd really only like to go to 150), any suggestions on any of this? thanks.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Audio Interface and Mic?

for the price, it's hard to beat the RODE NT1-A
    good mic

Shure SM57 is one possibility but I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    I usually don't recommend M-Audio to people. In that price range I don't have any recommendations. Just about any gear will have good specs - of course - they are measured with swept sine waves - not really representative of actual sound. Best to actually listen to whatever you choose first - preferably with the mic you are going to use.

A good mic in that price range? - check out the Rode NT1-A, or an AudioTechnica AT4030 or AT4033 (the AT4033 has less noise but also is less sensitive than the AT4030 and might not work for really quiet sources.) I'm sure others have more suggestions - these are the ones I record with.

For acoustic work you will probably want a cardiod condenser mic - that will require some phantom power from the preamp - so be sure the one you get has phantom power or else you will have to buy one of those as a standalone as well.

Stephen
    the m-audio does have phantom power, but why don't you like them? i'm just curious because i always felt that m-audio was one of the top music hardware makers.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

A local music store with knowledgeable staff is a good place to start if one is available in your area. Mine will let you try products out and will refund or exchange them for what will work best for you.

Phil

I find the AKG c1000 mic to be really good. It is a condenser, and if you don't have phantom power, they use a 9-volt battery. Some people don't like them, but I've always found them to be very good for recording a variety of instruments.

This is all very new to me, but Edirol has one that was recommended by my local music store owner. The price is about $149. It has condenser mic capability. I have Sonor Home Studio 6 XL and that is why he recommended this to me.

Edirol UA4FX USB Audio Interface with MIDI

• from $109.95
    • List: $229.00
      • SAVE: 34%
    An international top-seller for years, Edirol's UA-series interfaces brought amazing value to computer-recording enthusiasts. Today, Edirol pushes the price/performance envelope again with the new UA-4FX. The portable USB audio/MIDI interface sets a new standard for affordable interfaces with its ultra-fast, low-latency audio & MIDI performance, 24/96 audio resolution, and built-in effects -- including a COSM tube mic-preamp simulator for fattening up your tracks. The UA-4FX also includes a copy of Cakewalk's Sonar LE recording software and Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas plug-in (PC), making it a true all-in-one recording solution at an incredibly low price
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 07-12-2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Additions
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Go Back to forum