• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music from the Spicy Chicken and other adventures: That's Peggy!

Share/Bookmark

Music from the Spicy Chicken and other adventures: That's Peggy!

Here's my third installment of this saga. This is one cue from a short film called "That's Peggy!".

http://www.stevebarden.com/audio/sco...;s%20Peggy.mp3

Steve
    Last edited by bmpsound; 07-11-2007 at 06:25 PM. Reason: missing link
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

Re: Music from the Spicy Chicken and other adventures: That's Peggy!

Hey Steve,
    First, I'll start with the end; a nice little Gershwin spark! (to me anyway).
    Overall, a very well executed work with much heart and emotion! The piano may have a "bit" to much re-verb for me but that's up to you and it never got in the way of my true enjoyment. Also, smiled at the little "jumps" in the middle of the composition. Well done!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

I liked your music. The piano does bounce off the walls but maybe it's what's needed for the visuals.

Phil

Hello again, Steve

Hearing these excellently executed music cues from you continues to be such a treat. Superb work, our new Listening Room denizen.

This piano is indeed being played from inside quite a deep, concrete walled well! - I have to assume it provided a feeling of poignant isolation appropriate to the short film's visuals?

Admirable orchestration, and with the Randy Newman-style rag time ending--such a nice conclusion.

Thanks!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    This piano is indeed being played from inside quite a deep, concrete walled well! - I have to assume it provided a feeling of poignant isolation appropriate to the short film's visuals?

I would love to say that the echoey piano was intentional to support the visuals, but I must confess that I'm guilty of over-saturating with reverb, an ailment that seems to curse me.

Otherwise, thanks all for the comments. I did feel "Randy Newman" on the little piano punctuation at the end. That little theme was used throughout as a bit of a "sitcom" transition piece. The setting was 1950's suburbia.

Steve
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

Hello again, Steve

AAaaah, you should've said, "Um, yeah, that's right--I worked hard to achieve that existential isolation vibe by placing the piano at the bottom of the Grand Canyon--Glad you liked my brilliant sound design."

Too much reverb is a curse of yours hmmm? That's quite common. I'm accused of making most things too dry.

I just remember years ago taking to heart the expert advice of a pro engineer who wanted me to hear how my early work was Far too drenched in reverb. Like most people, I started out just being so impressed with how Big and PRofessional things seemed to sound with all that reverb ambience--This guy showed me how much more vibrant music can be when the notes aren't being washed out and smeared with reverb, and the performance is more intimate--like your listeners are just a few feet from you.

Over and over I see people say after they experiment with using less reverb, "wow--I didn't realize how much better my orchestra sounds now that I'm not always sticking them far away on a huge empty stage." It's a fashion thing too--the varying amounts of reverb people have taste for. But this thing of virtual orchestral music all needing to sound like it's being performed in the world's largest Opera House is so cliche and pretentious anymore, IMHO.

Anyway--Yes, that piano 'verb is way over-kill in this if it's intended to be natural sounding. Composition-wise this and all your work is solid. Randy Newman ending for sure, great stuff.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Forget the reverb (yes there's too much; but that's an easy
    fix) -- What a lovely piece, Steve... perhaps you'd consider taking
    this further. The string writing in the first part (0:24 ffd) is
    quite striking.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum