• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphony No.1 Movement 1 "The Western Frontier"

Share/Bookmark

Post Symphony No.1 Movement 1 "The Western Frontier"

I have been working on my first "major" undertaking; my first symphony. I origionally began work on this almost a year ago but, using the sample libraries I had, it just didn't deliver the sound I wanted from it. So, I put it on the back burner until I could find the time, and right library I thought would bring it justice; enter GPO. A few months after getting my GPO, I started the painstaking task of re-orchestrating each part from using my old library, and reconstructing it using GPO, which I found out was VERY time consuming! Once I had the piece put back together, (with many adjustments in tonenation, range, pitch, articulation etc.) I ran into a problem. I wanted to use a harmonica in the score but quickly found out that there just isn't any (my opinion) that actually sounded like a harmonica. So, once again, after much searching, I decided to undertake another task...to make my own harmonica. Boy, did THAT take some work! After many trials and errors and experimentations, I finally came up with what I think is a decent sounding harmonica. Here is how I did it. I used the english horn as a base, then added a clarinet and believe it or not, a muted trumpet! I layered each instrument and exceeded the "normal" eq settings, added distortion, multi tap delay (to simulate the opening and closing of the hands around the harmonica), reverb and finally, using the mod wheel, mapped out the dynamics in volume to simulate the blowing/inhaling a harmonica player performs.

I thought I would give everyone a brief background of the piece so you could hopefully see the picture I tried to paint. I had been contemplating writing a western type score for over 5 years but never really found the time until almost a year ago. I was inspired by watching a documentary of the "Wild West". It was filled with panoramic vista's that were breathtaking. I decided to undertake the idea and write my own western style score. What I came up with is a mix of calmness of the prarrie at dusk, the dawn as it rises on the orange mountains and green plains; and finally, the west wouldn't be complete without horses and cowboys who ride like the wind across the plains, mixing the theme with a spanish/mexican flair. This is the first "themed" type score I've done, and the first movement in a series I plan to write. So, go easy on me Your comments and thoughts welcomed.

The score is titled Symphony No.1 Movement 1 "The Western Frontier"

Here is the direct streaming link: (My own artist page on soundclick)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=724388

Jaker "Shaver"

Re: Symphony No.1 Movement 1 "The Western Frontier"

Wow, stunning! This is a brilliant example of true expression and musical interpretation of a scene that catches the eye of a talented composer!

The harmonica idea translates wonderfully. Has that been done before? And great use of your technical skills to create your own! Very impressive!

Each scene is as exactly as you described it. Wonderful use of percussion by the way toward the end. Was that a timpani "hand" hit?

Anyway, this was a pleasure to listen to and I know everyone here in the forum will enjoy it greatly!

Thank you for posting!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Jaker "Shaver" -!

What a big ball of fun this is! The American West, romantically filtered through those Hollywood dreams we all know and love. It sounds great. Nice orchestrations with plenty of pizzazz.

Percussion in the latter half, though it added a lot of punch, sounded out of proportion--like the drummer suddenly moved way up close to us somehow, you know what I mean? Maybe if that percussion line was shared with more instruments simultaneously? I can hear what you're going for there, that big movie sound track percussion sound. Just bothered me a tad.

The harmonica in the opening was interesting--VEry clever home-brew recipe you came up with, and it does have some characteristics of a harmonica--The vibrato certainly seemed right. You know the best harmonica I ever heard? It's here on my ancient Korg X5dr. That synth module added many layers of synth manipulation on top of samples which gave the Korg a unique and great sound--It's harmonica can be played and Almost convince you--Sure can be smooth. --Sometimes it's amazing to realize how Hip some of these older synths really were.

But anyway, you've carved out a Great project for yourself, and this rip-roaring start was a big pleasure to listen to.

Thank ye, pardner! (he spits tobaccy with satisfaction into a nearby spitoon-->clink!<)

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks for the great comments so far!

Michael -"The harmonica idea translates wonderfully. Has that been done before? And great use of your technical skills to create your own! Very impressive!"

"Wonderful use of percussion by the way toward the end. Was that a timpani "hand" hit?"

I'm assuming you are asking if the harmonica has been used in a western score? I have most definately heard many of these scores either with a "hint" of harmonica, or used throughout the piece. If you are asking if anyone has made their "own" version of a harmonica, I would almost be sure of it somewhere, someone else has. I'm glad you enjoyed listening! I was hoping my "vision" came across well.

Actually, I wanted to give the illusion of the "Native American" feel to that opening part of the score, when the cowboys rode in, so, believe it or not, that timpani was layered with bongo's with the low end "beefed" up a bit and reverb added. I wanted that sound if the "indians" playing the drums.

Randy -"Percussion in the latter half, though it added a lot of punch, sounded out of proportion--like the drummer suddenly moved way up close to us somehow, you know what I mean?"

Yes, I most definately know what you mean. I can understand how the drums seemed to "jump" in your face so to speak but, that was my purpose. You are very correct, I was trying for the BIG western soundtrack type impact. I'm very glad you enjoyed my "Big ball of fun" because that was my goal. To compose something that was fun to listen to and give a sense of reliving the old west since most of us weren't around in the 1880's (Laughing).

I hope more members here on the forum find my score as enjoyable and fun as the two of you have so far! It has certainally been fun for me!!

Jaker "Shaver"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Wow, stunning! This is a brilliant example of true expression and music interpretation of a scene that catches the eye of a talented composer!

The harmonica idea translates wonderfully. Has that been done before? And great use of your technical skills to create your own! Very impressive!

Each scene is as exactly as you described it. Wonderful use of percussion by the way toward the end. Was that a timpani "hand" hit?

Anyway, this was a pleasure to listen to and I know everyone here in the forum will enjoy it greatly!

Thank you for posting!

Michael
    I agree 100%!

This is great what you did and it is fun to listen, Jaker! I like it!

My Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

This has a great feel to it. I love the sense of the expansiveness of the landscape you've captured and once the percussion comes in with those punchy/syncopated rhythms you've got the classic Western sound. And yet you've made it symphonic at the same time. Well done!
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

I think this is a very nice compostion. Parts of this made me think of some of those great Elmer Bernstein western themes. I can tell you spent some time on this. It has paid off.
    -Jay

This is a fascinating piece of music! The picture you paint is very clear and realistic. The wide open spaces you depict are wonderful. I really enjoyed it. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Hi Germancomponist, Diligamus, JaynKate01 and Louis D,

Thanks for all your nice support and comments, they are very welcomed. I'm glad everyone who has given my Symphony a listen has enjoyed it and it has brought fond memories of a favorite composer, place or time, back into your lives, if only for a brief time.

I have had so much fun working on this symphony, it has taught me alot. But, my work wouldn't be possible if it weren't for the wonderful members this community has. By far, this has been the best experience I have had the pleasure of. There are so many talented musicians and composers here that it wouldn't be fair to name a few and neglect all the others due to lack of memory with names. So, I have to say thanks to everyone here, on this forum and at Northern Sounds. With such vast knowledge that graces this community, I am glad I am a part of it, and I can share something we ALL love so much, music from the heart.

Jaker "Shaver"

OK John,

You seemed disappointed in the response to your work here, going by the thread in the Discussion pages.

The romantic, epic Western theme's may have been done to death in the past unfortunately and this may contribute to the lack of replies here.

The opinion I will give is not based on the compositional content but the metallic wash to the sound on this. from the first note it's spoiling your recording. there seems to be clipping even on the quiet passages.

I hope this is helpful to you.

My Best

Ray

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast