• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New poster here...

New poster here...

Hello all. I've been lurking around for several months, and I have to say I am really impressed by the talent you folks have. The music here is truly wonderful and inspiring, and I have learned a lot from your work. Thank you all and keep it up, and thank you to Mr. Garritan for making a lot of this possible and affordable.

I have just started to get back into this midi stuff, after laying off for many years. (I have version 1 of Sonar, if that tells you anything! And I don't even know how to use that.)

Anyway, I did a little piece using a midi file I did about 15 years ago on Van Morrison's Moondance. I updated it this week and re-rendered it using JABB. I hope you enjoy it, and I'd certainly appreciate any comments you have, either musically or technically.

I hope to have more to share soon. Thank you all.

Here is the file, if I've done this correctly: http://www.box.net/shared/cfat23dhu9

Re: New poster here...

Hi SaxMarc,

welcome and your introduction with your music is well chosen. Nice piece. I'll hope to see more of it. Don't know how you did this, but it is nothing but good.

Go on making music for us, please,

Welcome SaxMarc! I liked your choice in your first posting, good job. Your skills will grow as you learn more and more from all the great talent here. I'm looking forward to hearing some origional works from you.

Jaker "Shaver"

Thumbs up Re: New poster here...

Welcome, SaxMarc!
    Very nice piece!
    When the music I hear maked me get up and dance I know it is well written.
    As I listened I wondered how you would end it.
    It is a surprising ending, but somehow I feel it isn't really connected to what was before.
    Keep them coming!

Welcome Sir! and thankkyou!!! Ive been dying to know the name of this song for ages! thankyou! and nicely put together too, really liking the electric piano and mute trumpet(s)! I am yet to attempt using JABB properly, but this has encouraged me, so thanks!

Also, someone felt the ending didnt quite fit, well, i thought it was good, so ne worry pas! i would question the orchestration tho at the point where bass is doing a scale figure away and back to the root each bar (dont know the time of it sorry). sounds a bit empty there. but i dont think i know the original, so i dont know how this ties in to it!

anyway, welcome and thankyou!

Welcome aboard - nice way to introduce yourself. Nice arrangement - I particularly liked the panning: coming out of my speakers the piece really had a nice spatial quality to it.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

Hello, and welcome, Marc!

That's a really good rendition of Van Morrison's classic late '60's tune "Moondance." I bet you got excited as you revived your MIDI version with JABB--nice hmmm? You bet! It's a fabulous library, and you used it very well here.

And I know a lot of us here appreciate hearing some more breezy, jazzy stuff here in The Listening Room. At first I wasn't confident that my stylings which are less "serious" than the majority of music posted here would be all the welcomed--Well, I soon felt quite assured that diversity is what it's all about in The Listening Room, and all styles of music are welcomed and appreciated.

--side note to Sunbird - You apparently don't know this song, "Moondance," but Marc credited the writer Van Morrison in his thread-starter. Your reply indicates you thought Marc wrote this--He did a very nice arrangement of it. Van Morrison introduced a new and unique jazz influence to his pop music way back in the late '60's, early '70's, and Marc's modulating and very jazzy ending is exactly the kind of sophistication Van Morrison brought to his otherwise simple, catchy songs.

The one thing I would've liked to hear more prominently in the recording was the bass. It's been commented on fairly often that the JABB basses need some help in being heard well in a mix. I believe the design concept off the library was to keep them more muted, ala classic jazz recordings, but when doing something more pop driven, like this, it helps to use some compression and maybe some EQ to have the bass drive things more.

Great intro--Thanks much for it, Marc!

Randy B.

Bologna (Italy)

Hello, SaxMarc!

Your rendition of that song sounds really fresh and dynamic: I especially liked the bass line and the interaction between the breath instruments... for not to talk about the electric piano!

And the final part was really surprising... but very fitting and nice, for my likes! I personally would have risen even the last chord, following the progression you began before... but, by the way, this is *your* music, not mine!

Jazz is always great... and, in the end, good music is good music, no matter how we label it!

Thank you for sharing your work with all of us!

"The gold of Captain Rich" - a danbergam's short-movie -> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=62264

I said goodbye -> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55669

"Musico ergo sum."
    "GPO : composer = unicorn : R.P.G. player
    Well, the unicorn is to be imagined... but GPO's real!"

Thank you all for your gracious welcome. I really appreciate it and your comments.

Randy, your coments about the bass are well taken. I need to work with the compression and other controllers to learn more about them and how to make them work well.

And as you say, it was exciting realizing it with JABB; soooo much better sounding than the old midi stuff. (Bythe way, congratulations on your show, I am sure you must be thrilled. Based on what I've heard you post here, it is well deserved!)

Thanks agin everyone, and I hope to have some more (including some original tunes) to post soon!

I have always liked this song. This is a good rendition of it. Thanks for posting it.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast