• Register
  • Help

Topic: Licensing Issues

Share/Bookmark

Licensing Issues

I’ve largely stopped using other sample providers due to their restrictive copyright conditions which limit my licensing possibilties with the finished track. "Royalty Free" and "Copyright Free" they boldly state on the cover in large letters but read the small print and if you can understand it you will find it is not necessarily the case at all.

Spectrasonics are true to their word which is why I continue to use their products and have ditched the rest.

I was recently surprised to learn that a prospective music library would only consider tracks that made use of samples if the owner of such samples signed a letter of authorisation permitting the use of them in the tracks.

Now I guess I’m correct in assuming that despite you guys being so nice and fair and all I’m still not going to be that lucky in getting such a letter and will instead have to either consider submitting my music to other libraries or else stop using samples altogether…

Cheers

Re: Licensing Issues

I was recently surprised to learn that a prospective music library would only consider tracks that made use of samples if the owner of such samples signed a letter of authorisation permitting the use of them in the tracks.
    Funny that you mention that...
    Just yesterday I received an email from a Nine Volt Audio customer requesting authorization to use our loops in compostions they were posting to the library service Pump Audio.

Outside of the initial greeeting from the customer, it looked like a fill-in-blank form letter supplied by Pump Audio.
    It was no big deal to respond... clairifying that it's OK.

But I can imagine the headache that would be as a composer to have to check with all sample/loop companies for the products they use.
    Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com
    info@NineVoltAudio.com
    Loop libraries designed for users of Stylus RMX, Reason and other REX format players

OR as a developer if you had 100 customers that between them write music for four different music libraries each using their own form.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

I am more selective on who I buy from due to liscensing restrictions. I also do alot of library work, and I really hate the restrictiviness of some companies, I can understand the intention behind it, but in practicality it doesn't usually add up or is more of a pain for its users then it ever is for those they are trying to protect from stealing (does that make sence??)
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by NineVOltAudio
    Funny that you mention that...
    Just yesterday I received an email from a Nine Volt Audio customer requesting authorization to use our loops in compostions they were posting to the library service Pump Audio.

Outside of the initial greeeting from the customer, it looked like a fill-in-blank form letter supplied by Pump Audio.
    It was no big deal to respond... clairifying that it's OK.

But I can imagine the headache that would be as a composer to have to check with all sample/loop companies for the products they use.
    This is interesting; you needing to sign off with Pump. I have stuff placed through them and never had to worry about it.

My understanding of most Licensing for most sample based products/samples is that as long as they are not "raw" its okay. The example often given is having a video game trigger the raw sample; same with film if its the raw sample being used as underscore thats a no-no, but if its used within a composition then no problem. Although, there are one or two sample libraries I have seen that limit the use to non broadcast uses.
    Dave Cebrowski
    DCWAVE Productions
    www.dcwave.com

Why not start a new thread, listing Libraries that allow composers to use their sounds within a composition without having to worry about licensing issues further down the line?

Might be very useful?
    Maybe?

Big Fifish are most vague of all licenses and I wont use anything from them anymore, except for the two titles that I have.

Someone I know on another forum requested clarification and got a reply that was even more vague than on Bigfish products or website.

I am careful what I buy and where from..

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Go Back to forum