• Register
  • Help

Topic: Polyphony Poll

Share/Bookmark

Polyphony Poll

This is related to my last post. I\'d like to know the polyphony most of us are getting.
    If you\'re getting at least 90% of the polyphony you\'re supposed to be able to get, reply to this message with a YES. If not, reply NO, and include the number of voices you ARE getting.
    For 48 voices, 90% rounds off to 43.
    For 64 voices, 90% rounds off to 58.
    If you\'re not sure please don\'t answer until you run a test. This is most easily done with your sequencer.

Thank you,
    Anthony Lombardi

Re: Polyphony Poll

Hi,
    as there is no polyphony indicator, I wonder how you find this out.

I am running a setup with GS1.6, Celeron 400 on ASUS P2B, Soundblaster AWE64 Gold, 256MB Ram, a maxtor UDMA 7200rpm HDD.

I can tell you all that heavy polyphony problems will NEVER be solved by changing or defragmenting disks or similar \"good tips\". If you have polyphony problems, there is a general problem with your system- or soundcard setup or -driver.

GS1.5 had heavy polyphony problems when you combined Mono with Stereo voices. This is gone since 1.6.

I recently ran GS with an old slow 1.7GB Seagate HDD with 128kb. Ok, there were some pops, but all in all it worked not too bad.

By the way - when counting polyphony consider :
    1. Your Stereo voices
    2. The release, that usually falls into the next attack.

Horst.

Good point.
    Forget about the 90%. If you THINK you\'re getting max polyphony, reply YES. If not, reply NO. Of course, nobody is obliged to do this but I was just curious.

Thanks

Good point.
    Forget about the 90%. If you THINK you\'re getting max polyphony, reply YES. If not, reply NO. Of course, nobody is obliged to do this but I was just curious.

Thanks

NO

Yes, appears to be the full 64 by my test.

I am getting 64 voices, if I run a test. In practise, I\'m lucky if I get 16 voices. The voice allocation of GS is sooooo badddddd!!! GS does play 64 voices, but the release of a previouse voice seems to be more important than the sustain of another. I never heard a sampler with such a nonmusical voice allocation. Let\'s hope they changed this in the Gigastudio, otherwise instead of 160 voices we must read 32 voices.
    So my answer is -- NO --

Go Back to forum