• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: MERINGUE MERENGUE (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

Share/Bookmark

MERINGUE MERENGUE (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

As in all of Ray's Jazz Quintet music: only Jazz & Big Band samples used.

MERINGUE MERENGUE latest CD mix

Ray
    Last edited by rayzalaf; 07-15-2007 at 06:03 AM. Reason: New soundclick feature

Re: MERINGUE MERENGUE (Ray's Jazz Quintet)

This sure is a cool sound Ray. I had to listen to it again. It has alot of great elements to it.
    -Jay

Thanks Jay

Where's your link

Ray

thanks Ray, for keeping the quality high here in the listening room. A nice latin flavour and an open and well balanced mix!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    thanks Ray, for keeping the quality high here in the listening room. A nice latin flavour and an open and well balanced mix!
    Thanks Roberto,

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this mixing thing.
    I don't need to explain what I'm doing to you but I'd love to pass it on to a few out there.

My Best

Ray

Niiiiiiice, Ray - Thanks for continuing to keep things more hoppin' here in The Listening Room.

Excellent mix of a really good and slick arrangement. There are "smooth Jazz" stations here in The States which would start playing these tracks Today - Start getting your stuff out there.

Rhythm and groove are the strongest elements in this, and I enjoyed Very much.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Here, Ray's Jazz Quintet finds Mr. Clarinet can play flute and he's brought it with him to the session where we've recorded track #3 of the up and comimg album: Avoiding Music Theory.
    A special mention also to Paulinho DeRico on percussion.

MERINGUE MERENGUE latest CD mix

We are now working on the next track for the album hopefully featuring a very special guest none other than Chet Butcher. The famous trumpeter?

Ray
    Nice, and good sounding.

If you have ever danced latino style you will know that this is one of the slowest Merengue ever. Would not really work for that, (sorry to say, really).

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Nice, and good sounding.

If you have ever danced latino style you will know that this is one of the slowest Merengue ever. Would not really work for that, (sorry to say, really).

Hannes
    Hannes,

You've let the cat out of the bag. You are a closet latin dancer
    I hope you've got an attractive young lady throwing her leg over your shoulder! lol!

Yes I'm well aware of the differences in tempo but having a CD full of supposed merengues, I opted for the slower tempo of say, the Oink Oink Song. Sorry that's a bad example as it sounds more like a cha cha.

My Best

Ray

Ray-

Coupla things -

First, NICE JOB! great feel and lots of fun.

Second, please keep that sax player away from the liquor cabinet if at all possible. If I heard a live player scooping that much, I'd be convinced he was too drunk to play. Seriously, cut the pitch bend by at least half and it will sound a lot more realistic. Pitch bend is like pepper or salt - it only takes a little to make an impression. Using too much draws attention to itself and says, "hey look, I'm trying to emulate a real sax player."

Third, I'd humbly suggest experimenting with some of the other tenor sax sounds. The one you chose is nice and warm, but it lacks the edge and energy required for such high spirited music. Maybe try one of the Yamahas instead of the Selmers (I'm guessing here).

Fourth, Is the flute ever supposed to be a featured soloist or is it always supposed to be background filligree? If one of those choruses is supposed to be a solo, try dropping out the tenor (or at least greatly reducing its volume) and raising the volume of the flute for that part, or go with less reverb during that part. Reverb adds apparent depth of field to the listener. More reverb places the sound source further away and less brings it closer.

Last, in terms of style, it's neither a meringue nor a cha cha. My vote goes squarley for SAMBA. A real meringue would be half again as fast and a cha cha would be half again slower.

Finally - where's the next one? This is getting fun!
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Paul,

I'm having fun, and you're pushing me for more. I'm loving it.
    I am listening to you and I will take it on board.
    I've got a nice Conn tenor in the attic but it'll probably be green now.
    I'm using the same sax sample on purpose to create a similar sound on all tracks. It's my band leader so he won't be put off by professional comments. He's just a two bit player like myself who gets the job done but never rises to the top. Yes I am a sad character in a strange world.

Years ago I used to get nervous when told a really good guitarist was in the audience then I realised, hey! I'm working and he isn't.

At the moment I'm concentrating on the general sound rather than the individual instruments but I'll get there eventually.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

My Best

Ray

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast